• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Can't Anime Get A Wide Theatrical Release?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CR85747

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:05 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
L'Imperatore wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Americans at large don't care about 2D animation.

Strangely enough, they did care... at least until Atlantis: The Lost Empire.

Well, we'll see what happens when My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic hits wide release theaters this October, which is not only 2-D animation, but done using Flash/Animate. (It is still computer-drawn, but in a vastly different way than the 3-D that'sprevalent in western animated film these days.)

If the MLP movie is a success, it'll probably be credited to its existing fanbase.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:18 am Reply with quote
CR85747 wrote:

If the MLP movie is a success, it'll probably be credited to its existing fanbase.

Who else should it be credited to? Certainly there will be some non-fans who go to see it (willingly, not accompanying a fan), but it's not going to be a large percentage.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:08 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
CR85747 wrote:

Who else should it be credited to? Certainly there will be some non-fans who go to see it (willingly, not accompanying a fan), but it's not going to be a large percentage.

Little girls, maybe. (I don't think the fanbase is big enough to make it a success though, at least by Hollywood standards of success. It'll probably be comparable to a theoretical American Doctor Who theatrical release or, well, Serenity.)
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:57 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
DerekL1963 wrote:
CR85747 wrote:

Little girls, maybe. (I don't think the fanbase is big enough to make it a success though, at least by Hollywood standards of success. It'll probably be comparable to a theoretical American Doctor Who theatrical release or, well, Serenity.)

Yeah, Serenity is the poster child for what happens when you craft a movie for a narrow fanbase. (And despite the amount of noise they create inside their bubble, that's exactly what Firefly fans (and anime fans) are.) Not a flop, but not anything you could really call a success either... It made half of it's modest take in the first weekend, and was gone without a trace within two weeks. (And basically barely broke even.) On the other hand, look at the Star Trek reboot - despite the howls of the fans, they were crafted to appeal to a wide audience and they made money by the truckload. You can see the same effect in the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies.

MLP... I dunno. Their target demographic is tween girls, but there's a not insignificant fandom outside of that range too. Either way, my point is that the movie is unlikely to draw in anyone who isn't already a fan (and their fanbase is huge) - unlike mass-entertainment franchises, kid's franchises rarely stray far from the reservation. They're like anime in that they're at least in part commercials for merch, and you don't sell merch by disappointing your core demographic.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:42 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Yeah, Serenity is the poster child for what happens when you craft a movie for a narrow fanbase. (And despite the amount of noise they create inside their bubble, that's exactly what Firefly fans (and anime fans) are.) Not a flop, but not anything you could really call a success either... It made half of it's modest take in the first weekend, and was gone without a trace within two weeks. (And basically barely broke even.) On the other hand, look at the Star Trek reboot - despite the howls of the fans, they were crafted to appeal to a wide audience and they made money by the truckload. You can see the same effect in the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies.

MLP... I dunno. Their target demographic is tween girls, but there's a not insignificant fandom outside of that range too. Either way, my point is that the movie is unlikely to draw in anyone who isn't already a fan (and their fanbase is huge) - unlike mass-entertainment franchises, kid's franchises rarely stray far from the reservation. They're like anime in that they're at least in part commercials for merch, and you don't sell merch by disappointing your core demographic.

I think there is a bigger distinction here that ties in to anime movies having a tough time in American movie theaters: Whether a movie is an original property, a reboot, or what fans of various things call the "long TV episode." Serenity falls into that category, as were the Star Trek movies up to Star Trek: Nemesis. The MLP movie will also be the "long TV episode" type. The only movie in the United States of this sort to have succeeded was The Simpsons Movie, and that's because that's one of the most universal, huge TV shows of all time. Arguably, Pokémon: The First Movie was like this too. But all in all, I'd say these movies don't do too well because they are meant for the dedicated fans. Non-fans would get intimidated by these movies because they fear they'll be locked out (and, in most anime movies based on an existing franchise, they will be). I think that's the underlying reason why these movies have so much trouble attracting outsiders.

By contrast, the superhero movies and the JJ Abrams Star Trek movie continuity are reboots. They're starting the franchise over, and no prior knowledge is needed to understand and enjoy these movies. To John Q. Public, this means, "This movie will be accessible to you!"

I would say nearly all of the anime movies based on an existing franchise are of the "long TV episode" type. I can understand One Piece Film Gold just fine, but that's because I watch and read One Piece. There is no way the American movie-going public can watch it and not be completely lost. Most of the ones I've seen don't even attempt to explain the basic premise of the series they're based on. They just assume the audience will know. (Heck, even the Pokémon movies have an introduction in later installments, and they still flopped.)

Obviously, there are other factors at work for anime theatrical reboots like Rebuild of Evangelion (but I would not consider that very accessible to non-fans either) or anime theatrical original stories like your name, but for those people who think they can introduce the American public to an anime series with something like one of those annual Doraemon movies, it's not going to happen.

By the way, I should point out that I agree with you 100%, but that I wanted to point out that American movie-viewers are hesitant to watch anything that doesn't tell the story from the beginning.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:08 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Jose Cruz wrote:
@DerekL1963, Because that's the outcome not the cause. The question is "why they don't make money?".

You youself provided an anecdote as to why that is the case.

Which is related to ethnocentrism.

Quote:
Jose Cruz wrote:
In my case I tried to make some of my coworkers to read manga by giving some manga to them. Some of them didn't try to read anything while one tried and said to me it was "weird". Anyway, I now just restrict myself to talk about manga/anime to people who are also into it. Although I only have about 3-4 offline friends who are into that.

You witnessed firsthand that most people are not really interested in something that they're not accustomed to. Manga and anime are one of those things: Though they gained a foothold in the western mainstream in the past, they don't anymore, and even during then, that moment was brief. The first two Pokémon movies came out in wide release right during that window, and the boat has left.

On that age guetto thing:

Well, in Japan 40% of college students regard themselves as otaku and the most common interest among these people is animation: http://en.rocketnews24.com/2014/02/01/are-you-otaku-roughly-40-percent-of-japanese-college-students-say-yes/. Apparently anime surpassed manga among young people in Japan as the premier nerd hobby.

I wouldn't regard Your Name and Wind Rises family films, in fact it's very hard to find a Japanese "family film" in the American conception of the term. Your Name was clearly made for tennager's and young adults. While Hosoda said that Wolf Children was made for parents of small children and that film was one of the highest grossing in 2012. And Miyazaki even said that Porco Rosso was made for "tired middle aged men" and that film was the highest grossing film in Japan in the year it was released. Wind Rises is a biographical film of the contradictions of being an aero engineer whose life was made by designing killing machines used in WW2. Family films like Pixar and Disney these films are obviously not.

And the demographics who watch these films are different from the "family film" demographics. From Up on Poppy Hill for instance was mostly attended by 16 to 30 year olds, just the demographic that does not go to "family films", under 16 year olds made up only ~15% of attendance. (Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_Up_on_Poppy_Hill)

Finally, One Piece manga and the One Piece anime share the same art style, same writing and the same sensibilities. In Japan manga and anime are not considered strictly separate things like they are in the US (superhero comics and Disney Pixar are completely disconnected), Ghibli even called their films Manga Eiga (manga films).

So the animation age ghetto clearly does not exist in Japan in the way we conceive of it in the west, in fact most anime is aimed at young adults (80% of the animation in Japan airs at night). What exists (and is melting away now) is a stigma against manga/anime in Japanese society, specially the more "shoujo style manga aimed at adults" a la K-On. This type of stigma is similar to the stigma Western society had of rap and rock music (thinking that Black Sabbath was satanic) as both popular music and manga are originally youth subcultures.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:44 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
I wouldn't regard Your Name and Wind Rises family films, in fact it's very hard to find a Japanese "family film" in the American conception of the term. Your Name was clearly made for teenagers and young adults. While Hosoda said that Wolf Children was made for parents of small children and that film was one of the highest grossing in 2012. And Miyazaki even said that Porco Rosso was made for "tired middle aged men" and that film was the highest grossing film in Japan in the year it was released. Wind Rises is a biographical film of the contradictions of being an aero engineer whose life was made by designing killing machines used in WW2. Family films like Pixar and Disney these films are obviously not.

The cases you cite certainly waver from the standard "family film" archetype, but what about other Miyazaki favourites? Laputa, Totoro and the like? Surely such works fit the bill quite tightly, given how they are expressly aimed at children yet garner substantial adult followings. (Of course, their older fanbases did not exactly amass in accordance with the director's wishes, though that may be beside the point.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6