• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's Sekirei Rights Expire on February 9

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:31 pm Reply with quote
At the moment, both seasons can be bought on Amazon. I would imagine it might stay up for a while after 2/9. I just got to reload my Amazon gift card and get "Pure Engagement" then (I bough the 1st season a few hours ago).
Vannil

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:26 pm Reply with quote
i guess Aniplex didn't let them renew the licences for them. Not entirely surprised as that is what Aniplex does for their older titles not named Fullmetal Alchemist, take them back and sit on em.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I waited and waited and waited but then got tired of waiting and sold my copy last week.

Waiting for a third season, waiting for a reason to finish season 2, waiting for a reason to keep the series and then I guess I forgot why I was sitting on the series.

At first I was amused with the series that start with the Aniplex logo then irritated but now I really can't say how I feel about it.

Mostly because I know my post would get edited for language.

Oh well. Watch while you can.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:48 pm Reply with quote
This and "Freezing" are my favorite harem titles. I guess whenever I hear an Alexis Tipton role, I will think of Musubi right away. This is because it's my favorite role of hers and what I consider her best role (of the shows I have watched).
Raebo101

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:43 am Reply with quote
When I heard about this yesterday, I couldn't help picking it up. I guess I just couldn't hold the anime boobs at bay any longer.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:27 am Reply with quote
Aniplex is becoming a real pain in my opinion. Funimation paid a lot for the rights, creates a dub and then is unable to renew license when it expires because Aniplex dont let them. Seriously Aniplex gets the most out of this this way.

I feel sorry for all new anime fans in the future. Your wallets will hate you.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:21 am Reply with quote
I have to say I'm surprised with Aniplex's attitude, too.

They had three brand-new live-action Rurouni Kenshin films released (through Funimation, thank goodness! If Aniplex had those---!) BUT the classic TV anime series and MOST of the OVA spin-offs are nowhere to be seen and what's left is generally overpriced.

Nothing's being sold and they blew an opportunity to make extra sales from people who MIGHT have been interested in owning RK on DVD or Blu ray... It's ridiculous how expensive the remaining unopened or used copies of the Media Blaster RK sets have gotten!

Yeah, new TV shows (everybody OTHER than Aniplex and NISA to a lesser extent) are cheaper than ever year -- as long as you don't mind paying $50 up-front(!) -- but the exclusive stuff online in the US? Not so much!

No wonder the people with multi-region Blu ray players are checking out international outlets...! It's amazing how much cheaper some of the Euro-releases are and they generally have had problems in the past with their releases (edits and plenty of shows that NEVER got released in Europe, period) but some of the more recent shows have gotten good Region B Blu rays...

These Japanese companies operating directly in the US (no middleman) are behaving a lot like the American comic book companies, IMHO. They are squeezing what fanbase there is left that actually buys physical copies of home videos.
You have to admit their behavior and pricing schemes are viewed by a lot of us fans as at least borderline abusive. The pricing certainly does seem obscene... There pricing schemes are by far the most routinely expensive for any home video company operating in the States. Even Criterion is smart enough to have very decent sales a couple of times a year!!! I know about Japanese market prices but please I am NOT talking about Japanese pricing OR smaller companies like AnimEigo!!!
A lot of us are getting fed up with this and I'm sure Aniplex are sitting on a quite a bit of unsold stock that's at least 4-5 years old now.
Not saying some shows haven't sold out that are in $80+ range but a lot of haven't, either...
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:24 am Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
Aniplex is becoming a real pain in my opinion. Funimation paid a lot for the rights, creates a dub and then is unable to renew license when it expires because Aniplex dont let them. Seriously Aniplex gets the most out of this this way.

I think you're confused here...
Media Blasters had the rights to the Rurouni Kenshin anime TV series.
THEY were the ones who created those English dubs...
MB wanted to renew but Aniplex refused.
Most of the RK anime franchise is solidly in Aniplex's control...

Funimation has rights to the live-action RK films which is a totally different ballgame. I don't know that Aniplex has rights to all the RK franchise but they seem to have a pretty good stranglehold on the anime portions.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:46 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
TheMorry wrote:

I think you're confused here...
Media Blasters had the rights to the Rurouni Kenshin anime TV series.
THEY were the ones who created those English dubs...
MB wanted to renew but Aniplex refused.
Most of the RK anime franchise is solidly in Aniplex's control...

Funimation has rights to the live-action RK films which is a totally different ballgame. I don't know that Aniplex has rights to all the RK franchise but they seem to have a pretty good stranglehold on the anime portions.

I think you are the one who is confused here. We are not talking about Rurouni Kenshin. So why are you lecturing me about it? I fully know that Media Blasters handheld Rurouni Kenshi. Thank you very much.

We are talking here about Sekirei which was NEVER licensed by Media Blasters. Also titles like Full metal alchemist etc that went back to Aniplex. I advise you to go back to elementary school to get some reading skills done before you lecture anyone my friend. Because you sound like a complete moron right now.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:51 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
I have to say I'm surprised with Aniplex's attitude, too.

They had three brand-new live-action Rurouni Kenshin films released (through Funimation, thank goodness! If Aniplex had those---!) BUT the classic TV anime series and MOST of the OVA spin-offs are nowhere to be seen and what's left is generally overpriced.

Nothing's being sold and they blew an opportunity to make extra sales from people who MIGHT have been interested in owning RK on DVD or Blu ray... It's ridiculous how expensive the remaining unopened or used copies of the Media Blaster RK sets have gotten!

Yeah, new TV shows (everybody OTHER than Aniplex and NISA to a lesser extent) are cheaper than ever year -- as long as you don't mind paying $50 up-front(!) -- but the exclusive stuff online in the US? Not so much!

No wonder the people with multi-region Blu ray players are checking out international outlets...! It's amazing how much cheaper some of the Euro-releases are and they generally have had problems in the past with their releases (edits and plenty of shows that NEVER got released in Europe, period) but some of the more recent shows have gotten good Region B Blu rays...

These Japanese companies operating directly in the US (no middleman) are behaving a lot like the American comic book companies, IMHO. They are squeezing what fanbase there is left that actually buys physical copies of home videos.
You have to admit their behavior and pricing schemes are viewed by a lot of us fans as at least borderline abusive. The pricing certainly does seem obscene... There pricing schemes are by far the most routinely expensive for any home video company operating in the States. Even Criterion is smart enough to have very decent sales a couple of times a year!!! I know about Japanese market prices but please I am NOT talking about Japanese pricing OR smaller companies like AnimEigo!!!
A lot of us are getting fed up with this and I'm sure Aniplex are sitting on a quite a bit of unsold stock that's at least 4-5 years old now.
Not saying some shows haven't sold out that are in $80+ range but a lot of haven't, either...
I bought the complete Rurouni Kenshin DVD set (TV, movies, OVA) from madman (australia). It was only 140 euros (155 US dollars) Awesome set by the way. Its the only company that sells it right now. Abd honestly, you dont need a multi region player to play DVDs from Europe or Australia. Just hook up your PC with a HDMI cable to the TV have a normal DVD player in your PC and use the program VLC player.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:35 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:

You would we wrong. Aniplex produces far less stock then anyone else because they know they will sell less, but at a much higher price. And they almost always sell out.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:12 am Reply with quote
@DmonHiro it's true that AoA operates on a smaller stock, the only thing that could really get their attention would be to see that smaller stock level not sell.

Mark Gosdin
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:23 am Reply with quote
Dammit Aniplex.

And the manga finished too. So any final season is gonna be a $200 investment.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:31 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Dammit Aniplex.

And the manga finished too. So any final season is gonna be a $200 investment.

Wasnt the ending of S2 different than from the manga? Atleast i heard that. However S2 did set up a S3 sequel which we never got.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:39 am Reply with quote
I bought my Sekirei sets a long time ago, so I'm unaffected by this. Does remind me of the good old days when AoA didn't exist, though.

Animegomaniac wrote:
I waited and waited and waited but then got tired of waiting and sold my copy last week.

Bad timing. If you'd seen this announcement first, you could have waited until the sets went OOP and then gouged some poor breastiac.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3