• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Things You Probably Didn't Know About Sailor Moon [2017-01-21]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:29 am Reply with quote
Herald Of JOJO wrote:
On that note, why is Nyarlathotep on that list? I thought that was a god from Lovecraft mythology.

Oh, I see that you are not familiar with Haiyore! Nyaruko-san a.k.a. Nyaruko: Crawling with Love, the light novel/anime franchise with anthropomorphized high school girl versions of Lovecraftian deities.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Roger Pepitone

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:33 am Reply with quote
Doppel (Monster Musume) is also strongly implied to be Nyarlathotep
Farix

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:52 pm Reply with quote
To be fair Naoko Takeuchi pretty much ended her solo-career as a manga artist when she got married to Yoshihiro Togashi. It has been claimed that she the helps out with his current series, Hunter x Hunter.

The events surrounding PQ Angels are rather a strange one. It seems that the series was originally going on hiatus as Takeuchi was simple burned out after Sailor Moon. Kodansha had also not been sending her the fan letters asking when she was going to continue the series. Then Kodansha lost the manuscripts which prevented the series from continuing. I'm sure this experience more than soured her on the industry.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:44 pm Reply with quote
farix wrote:
... It has been claimed that she the helps out with his current series, Hunter x Hunter.

Helping? HxH came back from a two-year hiatus just last year, and went back to hibernation a few months later. And preceding that two-year hiatus was a previous two-year hiatus also followed by merely few months of activity...
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Yes they are. However they are referred to as Werecats. So says the Monster Girl Encyclopedia. Very Happy

What? That doesn't make sense. Werewolves don't stay as they are 24/7, but catgirls do. (At least, catgirls in the traditional anime sense to refer to female characters with cat ears and a cat tail.)

Come to think of it, I don't see quite as many of them now as I did in the 90's and early 00's.

Chiibi wrote:
I assumed everyone HAD to loaded in this show. Anime hyper Usagi's house is totally huge.

Yeah, even when I was little, I knew property values in urban Japan must've been pretty high (but apparently not as high as I had thought), so I figured the Tsukino family must have been pretty rich, or at least trying to look rich.

I do wonder though: Has the affordability of homes like these changed over the decades? The suburban setting resembles that of Doraemon.

Tenchi wrote:
To be fair to Naoko Takeuchi, I don't think there's any shame in being a one-hit wonder if that one hit is something which is astronomically popular in Japan and many other countries worldwide. Mangaka like Rumiko Takahashi who have had many different hit anime based upon their work are honestly few and far between and most mangaka, even ones that have had their manga adapted into one or two late night anime, can really only dream of having a single hit as enduring as Sailor Moon.

It is kind of a bummer though if you're a passionate artist but no one will pay attention to anything you make except the one thing you're known for.

CandisWhite wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
I assumed everyone HAD to loaded in this show. Anime hyper Usagi's house is totally huge.

I think that both you and Lynzee are conflating not-broke, not-working class, middle class people with the wealthy.

Usagi's house is actually quite average sized, even for an expensive city; Expensive cities, such as Vancouver and Toronto, do not automatically relegate middle class people to apartments & crappy neighbourhoods and people are willing to pay higher prices than they would get elsewhere because they love the city and the area.

Everything is relative. Land in some areas are WAY more expensive than in other places. California and parts of New York have absurdly expensive land, for instance (and living in a house you've just newly moved into IS a sign of wealth), whereas land in Kansas or Montana are relatively dirt cheap. I have always figured urban Tokyo is on the more expensive end, and it's combined with Tokyo culture being resistant to suburban sprawl leading to few houses actually being built at a time.

Blanchimont wrote:
Helping? HxH came back from a two-year hiatus just last year, and went back to hibernation a few months later. And preceding that two-year hiatus was a previous two-year hiatus also followed by merely few months of activity...

It's "helping" not as in keeping steady schedule but "helping" as in drawing in some things and cleaning up some other things. Yoshihiro Togashi does not work with any hired assistants; Takeuchi is the only person in an assistant role for Hunter X Hunter (though she is uncredited), and based on his hiatuses, seems to only work on the manga when he does. Neither of them need to keep a steady schedule, considering they can both live off of royalties from the work they've already made, and I'm sure neither of them WANT to keep a steady schedule.
Kosaka

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I saw Ikuhara at a convention in 2000. For what it's worth, from that appearance, my understanding was that Ikuhara started out as an episode director for series director Junichi Sato in Sailor Moon Season 1, and maybe part of Sailor Moon R (I don't remember R being mentioned), then did the Sailor Moon R movie, then was series director for Sailor Moon S, left before SuperS started, was asked and encouraged by the new series director to do the SuperS movie, came up with a plot that include elements that later were in Utena, and then the SuperS series director was fired and with the firing the SuperS movie possibility went away. There could have been some translation issues, of course, or I could have misremembered one or more things. Also, I could believe he had something to do with the beginning of SuperS. I've seen some contradictory info online, so I'm just putting my two cents worth in.
CrescentWolf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the survey, I see Kitsune and I suppose Werecat would be a Cat girl, so is Werewolf considered a wolf girl then? I mean like Holo from Spice and Wolf.

Because if so that would be my choice.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I think Holo would count as a shapeshifter, since her wolf form is her original birth form, but she can take a human shape (or no shape at all). Kitsune are fox girls who can also take the form of a human. Same with the tanuki from Eccentric Family or Poco's Udon World. I don't think it's easy to lump together everything if you mix in folklore and fantasy together with the more fetishy wish-fulfillment stuff.

Though for the sake of the poll, I guess it's fine to think of everything related to a specific animal -- I.E. wolf goddesses, werewolves, regular wolf or dog girls, and so forth -- as one bracket.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm not generally into dog or wolf girls unless they're the really subtle Strike Witches kind (i.e. just the ears and tail, and those appendages go away when they're not using magic), but one exception who is kind of cute (and from a different kind of "witch" show) is Inukai from Flying Witch who is full-blown furry in the daytime because of eating a cursed chocolate, but, then again, she's still full human at night.

I voted for centaurs, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I've heard about most of these, but Ijust found out something that I don't think Moonies know, the Venus/Kunzite ship that people think about for the Senshi/Shitennou is actually more creepy than the 90's Usagi/Mamoru one seemed. While that one was a five year gap, in the manga and such there, Venus is 14, but Kunzite is 26.... Shocked
junijuni23

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Takeuchi hasn't produced another popular series in almost 20 years since the manga ended in 1997.

My favorite Takeuchi's series is actually The Cherry Project about ice skating, alas it was made before Sailor Moon but translated and published in my country after the popularity of Sailor Moon, so...
And my favorite one shot manga is either Maria and/or Prism Time.
God, I'm old...
junijuni23

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:11 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
It's only Rei that works at her family's struggling shrine, which manages to get by despite her grandfather hitting on all the charm-buying schoolgirls.

Rei went to a prestigious all-girl school if I'm not mistaken, And her father is a famous politician (if I remember correctly it's from one of the extras in Sailor Moon tankoubon 'Casablanca something something...').
Afezeria

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I didn't noticed a poll about favorite monster girls (but I wasn't really interested in reading everything anyway), though I have no preference in mind because it's not really my thing.

Regarding the mention of a work about someone being turned into a cockroach, I can see why it would be cancelled.

Sure, Sailor Moon might be a one hit wonder but it's a hit that garnered the respective author an overwhelming amount of influence and money. In this world, any artist or entertainer that managed to create a hit that become an internationally known work is pretty lucky enough to did so, as there's so many competition out there.

Concerning the poll that discussed your favorite old anime from back then, I have nothing in mind, as I was only 2 years old in 1996, while Sailor Moon isn't exactly something that I've watch either but I do acknowledge how famous it is so that's why I come here to read some facts about the series.

Edit : Looking back at the old poll, I saw the mention of Case Closed a.k.a Detective Conan and I can honestly say that's the old anime that I am solely interested in from the year it came from, however I'll only read some of its first 50 chapters and watched the anime from the 600th episode and until the latest one. Fortunately, I am very familiar with most of its essential casts and events.

Last edited by Afezeria on Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Poll regarding monster girls: I found them all so beautiful, I couldn't choose; hence, I voted "all of the above". Smile
vallum

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
7. The Sailor Moon Girls Are Fairly Affluent: The Juuban district of Tokyo is a real area, and is predominately wealthy. Usagi's house is a testament to this as a two-story home on an island whose square footage is very expensive.

Eh? I think most houses in Japan are two-story houses. Square footage is indeed expensive, and that's actually why houses are tall, instead of being wide single-story houses.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3