• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Saga of Tanya the Evil

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:11 am Reply with quote
Not sure why the Empire felt it necessary to send troops to Not-Africa. Wouldn't it have made more sense to interdict any potential landing force as it crosses the Not-Mediterranean Sea in troop ships and when landing on the beaches?

Really enjoyed this series. It's kind of hard to imagine it won't get a second season which I look forward to immensely.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Not sure why the Empire felt it necessary to send troops to Not-Africa. Wouldn't it have made more sense to interdict any potential landing force as it crosses the Not-Mediterranean Sea in troop ships and when landing on the beaches?

Well as they said, theirs is an army based military and their navy is not their strong suit, so they probably want to avoid sea battles. If you wanted to interdict them on the beaches, the question arises where? Republic territory? Entente territory? Both? Even just looking at Republic territory there are plenty of options. Choose the wrong one and they get through. Spread the troops across all options, even just likely ones, and they won't be strong enough to fend off an attack by their main forces. Heck even in WWII the allies used feints to pull some troops away from Normandy, and the Empire's military is probably comparable to Germany in WWII in size at least.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:26 pm Reply with quote
But the Empire has flying mages and V-1 rockets which makes their lack of naval power a little moot when it comes to attacking troop ships. If you have a mobile force that you can land in Not Africa, that same mobile force can be used to attack a landing force where ever it chooses to come ashore. It's pretty hard to hide a large amphibious landing. Even if you don't have forces to oppose a beach landing, you can still strike when the enemy is struggling to achieve a bridgehead. And the Empire's supply lines would be shorter going this route, too.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:37 pm Reply with quote
You still don't know when or where they are coming from, so you still run into the same problems of defending the beaches, i.e. wrong place and miss them or spread forces too thin. And there is always the potential that the landing is merely a diversion for the real main force. Like I said the real Germans couldn't stop the Normandy invasion and were tricked by the deception operations and they had missiles and an air force too. Certainly their invasion of not-Africa has problems especially when not Britain, not US and not Soviet Union enter the fray, but your plan didn't work in the real WWII so I don't see it working here either.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:45 pm Reply with quote
The situation in Normandy was different from what we are being shown with the Empire now. D-Day only succeeded because the Germans were getting their asses kicked by the Soviets in the East. If the Germans had succeeded in knocking the USSR out of the war, God knows how long it would have taken the remaining Allied powers to launch an invasion on Northern France.

The Empire has flying mages that can presumably spot troop ships steaming on the Not-Mediterranean. You can't cross it in a couple of hours. While there are risks no matter how you look at it, the chances of doing damage to them during a crossing seem greater than trying to hunt them down in Not Africa.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:01 pm Reply with quote
That plan still has the downsides of going to not Africa in that it opens them up to attack from not Britain and not US who are already planning to enter and not Soviet Union. Whether on land or sea, their best forces will be concentrated in or near not North Africa, which is far enough away from not Britain and not Soviet Union that they couldn't stop attacks from or either or both in time whether they are at sea or on land.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I agree. Given the imminent entry of Not-UK, Not-USA and Not-USSR into the fray, the remnant of the force in Not-Africa seems the least of the Empire's worries. My only point is if the Empire really think it's important to engage them, it seems to make more sense to try and get them during a crossing or as they are trying to achieve a bridgehead as opposed to chasing around Not-Africa for them.

This point also highlights that Tanya's high dudgeon over the faliure to prevent Not-France's version of Dunkirk is kind of pointless. Even if the Empire had done what she wanted, it wouldn't have prevented the other Powers from getting involved and that is really the Empire's biggest problem.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:03 am Reply with quote
Not really. By the Free Republic Army existing, they are a current excuse for the Empire's enemies to join the war.

If they had let Tanya destroy the troops and ships, the armstice and peace treaty would be finalized. A done deal.

This would make it much harder for the "allies" to do anything politically. Not impossible, but they have to appear as the good guys. This is easy when you are trying to save the victim, but much harder when the victim is dead and buried, and you are just a bystander.
traitorAIZEN

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:06 am Reply with quote
Theron Martin really is my favorite reviewer in ANN since we share almost the same taste and opinions about anime. Reading his reviews feels like voicing out my own opinions to other people.
Keep up the great work sir Theron Smile
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:26 am Reply with quote
So what's the story behind the studio? Even taking into account the many delay, this was very impressive for a first anime, I,m guessing they have lots of veteran from other studio.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:32 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Not really. By the Free Republic Army existing, they are a current excuse for the Empire's enemies to join the war.

If they had let Tanya destroy the troops and ships, the armstice and peace treaty would be finalized. A done deal.

This would make it much harder for the "allies" to do anything politically. Not impossible, but they have to appear as the good guys. This is easy when you are trying to save the victim, but much harder when the victim is dead and buried, and you are just a bystander.

I don't buy that. The show itself makes it clear that the new participants are acting out of fear: fear of a dominant Empire. The idea that they would be reluctant to attack simply because an armistice had been signed among the original combatants seems wildly improbable to me. Plus, there is the strong suggestion that Being X is pulling strings to make sure the Not-Europe war turns into a world war. Tanya and the Empire were screwed no matter what. The remaining Republican/Entente/others force in Not-Africa is an unimportant sideshow for what's coming.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:17 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

I don't buy that. The show itself makes it clear that the new participants are acting out of fear: fear of a dominant Empire. The idea that they would be reluctant to attack simply because an armistice had been signed among the original combatants seems wildly improbable to me. Plus, there is the strong suggestion that Being X is pulling strings to make sure the Not-Europe war turns into a world war. Tanya and the Empire were screwed no matter what. The remaining Republican/Entente/others force in Not-Africa is an unimportant sideshow for what's coming.

You do have a point. But I did say harder, not impossible.

But these nations still have to follow political realities, which means they have to have manufacture a new excuse for their populace. Simple fear is not enough.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:15 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
So what's the story behind the studio? Even taking into account the many delay, this was very impressive for a first anime, I,m guessing they have lots of veteran from other studio.

Yeah, it's another Madhouse offshoot, like MAPPA and VOLN. I think they have some that worked at Gainax too.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I was expecting a stellar final episode and wasn't disappointed. Both of Tanya's speeches was awesome since she's speaking from direct experience and we got one last beautiful smile from her at the end Very Happy. Really hoping for a second season.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:43 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
You do have a point. But I did say harder, not impossible.

But these nations still have to follow political realities, which means they have to have manufacture a new excuse for their populace. Simple fear is not enough.

It was mentioned that it wasn't just fear, but fear of not knowing what the Empire was going to do next. The other countries were afraid of the power of the Empire's military that just kept expanding until it swallowed Europe. If they had crushed the Republic entirely and truly ended the war, the surrounding countries could have had a chance to see the Empire shifting back towards peace. However, they will now only continue to see the Empire as a war machine.

So I agree with you in that the Empire being at peace would have lessened the excuse of the other countries to go to war, and it also would have somewhat assuaged their fears if they saw an Empire shifting away from war.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 15