• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Seiren

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:12 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the arc ending isn't as satisfying as Amagami's.

Really hoping Araki didn't get that far with his previous "girlfriend" Shocked
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:01 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Also, what was Araki's fetish? When MC dude mentioned this being his first relationship with a human girl, it just made me think he was into anime or something, but then he calls it a "fetish" at the end, making it seem much stranger.

Shoichi did mention in the first ep that Araki was a Furry. Take a look at the final paragraph for #5 and go from there
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:47 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
Also, what was Araki's fetish? When MC dude mentioned this being his first relationship with a human girl, it just made me think he was into anime or something, but then he calls it a "fetish" at the end, making it seem much stranger.

Shoichi did mention in the first ep that Araki was a Furry. Take a look at the final paragraph for #5 and go from there

Oh, right. Yeah, I remember that now. The rabbit thing somehow didn't tip me off.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Oh well, at least the final scene allowed me to imagine that Hikari will be riding Shoichi like a bucking bronco, stealing his life essence until he becomes a bone-dry, withered corpse.

Yeah, I agree - wait, what? Shocked
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Laughing At long last we see BSP's freak flag flapping merrily in the breeze...
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I didn't really find the ending bad as more so bewildering if anything it reminded me of one the endings for one of the heroine's in the Kimi Kiss Manga. Hopefully since the second arc will have a more emotionally satisfying ending or if the series gets a second season the storyline will continue like it did it in Amagami SS+. But given the finality of this arc's ending and the seemingly poor sales of the series so far I don't going to happen.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I feel that Seiren is a great step-down from Amagami SS. And the next female protag seems to be just a bit better than the overly sexual Tsuneki... wish they had just went with Amagami SS+- The Sequel <.<
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The conclusion's attempted realism kind of shot itself in the foot with the coda, where we were expected to believe that two high schoolers who kissed after a couple weeks of flirting and then never spoke again would still be holding out for each other five years down the line.

Especially when one of them is going through 3 girls a cour. That's about 60 girlfriends before she comes back.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:52 am Reply with quote
Seiren is supposed to be a slice of life/romantic anime right?
So, were is the romance in this story?
The MC and the heroine have zero romantic chemistry.
They have a good friendship chemistry but no hint of romantic feelings.

The first three episodes are: she likes to tease him because of his reactions and he likes to admire her sexy figure, but still no romantic feelings between them. Only good friends.

And the in last episode, out of nowhere here comes the small romantic part. And is so small that only last a few minutes before they decide to end because of future goals in life.
The romance part is so forced, it hurts.

For me looks like she never had romantic fillings for him, nether did him have romantic feelings for her. Only friendship, teasing and physical attraction. So this is the expected ending for a zero-romantic story.

Something is wrong when in the end of episode 3 i still didn't care about the characters.
Japanese Visual Novels authors know how to write great romantic stories.
Amagami SS, even in the only arc where they don't end together, is clearly show that there are romantic feelings and the story is good.

Kisai Takayama was the Original Character Design of Amagami SS, but not the story author.
Now he tried be the author of a anime, but he fail big time. He have great talent in character design but so far, show little talent in doing the original work and series composition.
I hope he get some help for the remaining arcs, or Seiren will be a complete flop.
I know that Taiwanese/Chinese authors (Kisai Takayama is from Taiwan. Is real name is Li Xing Hao) try to bring more realism to romance than Japanese authors, but come on, i expect at least some real romance build up in a romance anime.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:29 am; edited 3 times in total
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:43 am Reply with quote
I really liked this episode, not sure about the time skip already though it feels a little rushed.

Though it was really cool how those 2 reunited like that again after those 5 years.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:48 am Reply with quote
I like Miyamae! God knows how much time in high school wishing I could meet girls who were into gaming. Please don't screw up this arc like they did with Tsuneki's.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Man, Tsuneki arc is really bad. I like Tsuneki and her personality but the way creator did the "romance" for her and MC is really bad. 4 episodes wasted and no characters development at all(in romance sense since this is a love story) and the ending doesnt make sense. And Tsuneki supposed to be Seiren "flagship" but she is like some side character. I assumed she is flagship because of anime poster put her in middle, made her somewhat important compared to other 5 girls. In comparison to Seiren, Amagami SS has Ayatsuji Tsukasa as Amagami "flagship" and the way they did Ayatsuji arc is really awesome. Way better than Tsuneki. Even other Amagami girl like Morishima Haruka or Nakata Sae make Tsuneki look bland.

I hope next girl will save Seiren. Arcade girl, childhood girl or maybe that ponytail girl.

Last edited by Hikarunu on Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I thought Tsuneki was a really interesting and unique character actually. I liked her a lot.. for most of the arc.. but the last episode was crap, and mc-kun is kind of more milquetoast than I would've liked. Maybe when his love interest isn't quite as domineering as Tsuneki, he'll stand out a little more, but he hasn't done anything to win me over so far.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I bailed after a couple of episodes because the girl was so annoying. But I've been following the reviews because I'm curious as to where this is going. My understanding was that each girl's route was sort of a different universe, so he wasn't actually dogging a bunch of different girls sequentially. Comments here sound like that's not the case? He is serially dating all these girls for a couple of weeks in the same timeline a la School Days? oO

Quote:
seeing Toru get flustered by Shoichi praising her headshots was even better.

Since I didn't see the episode, Love Deer sounds like it would be a hunting game where you shoot deer with hearts to make them your pets. So since she's also a model, I can't tell if he was praising her "kills" or her pics. Very Happy I might have to watch this episode after all...
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
My understanding was that each girl's route was sort of a different universe, so he wasn't actually dogging a bunch of different girls sequentially.

Yes.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Comments here sound like that's not the case? He is serially dating all these girls for a couple of weeks in the same timeline a la School Days? oO

No.

The good thing about omnibus formats like these is that if you don't like one story arc, the next one wipes the slate clean.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4