• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Seiren

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:26 pm Reply with quote
One thing that continues to frustrate me about the show is that Hikari and Shocihi have better chemistry than him and the other girls, but her own arc was extra disappointing, at least to me.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:12 am Reply with quote
I think the best thing about episode 10 for me was learning that Shoichi has a yearly Christmas tradition of "pretend wrestling" with one of his male friends. Laughing
I had to pause and reread that line multiple times because it was so amusing to me. Shoichi is actually a kind of fun character to be honest. The way that the show pokes fun at his "beta-male-ness" feels like it comes from a place of understanding. Sure he's a bit of a wimp, but he's our wimp.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:21 am Reply with quote
I agree. The show's humour, especially with respect to taking the piss out of Shoichi, didn't seem to be as obvious in the first arc, but it has really developed. I look forward to each new eppie's reveal of what a pansy he is. He still always manages to end up with the girl in the end, so it's all good.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:45 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure I understand why Tomoe was embarrassed when she saw the knitted underwear.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:49 am Reply with quote
Because in Anime Japan, it seems to be de rigeur to be embarrassed upon seeing underwear belonging to the opposite sex. It's so upsetting, a character might run out into the rain without an umbrella which, of course, in Anime Japan means they will become very sick with a fever.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:48 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Because in Anime Japan, it seems to be de rigeur to be embarrassed upon seeing underwear belonging to the opposite sex. It's so upsetting, a character might run out into the rain without an umbrella which, of course, in Anime Japan means they will become very sick with a fever.

That is what I've always found so odd.Confused Why would little water automatically get you sick?

Of course some of the viruses that cause cold do thrive in colder temperatures, however the ridiculous number of times it happens in anime is like seeing 'Every Car is a Pinto' in other media (though the latter is pretty much a dead horse trope by now, Michael Bay excepted...)...
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:26 am Reply with quote
I actually managed to finish this anime despite hating on different tone Seiren offered to us. 2 of main heroines get their respective ending which they get married to main protagonist and have a cute kid. While the Tsuneki arc is still the worse arc to me.

Honestly I dont feel to rewatch this anime in future.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

That is what I've always found so odd.Confused Why would little water automatically get you sick?

This has absolutely nothing to do with the show, but running/physical exertion does actually lower your body's immunity levels for a very brief bit of time. Exposure to cold can sometimes also do the same thing if you aren't particularly healthy, so it's not like it's entirely baseless that those two things in combination could increase your chances of getting sick. Having said that, even if you were running a marathon in the rain, you would still need to come into actual contact with either a contaminated surface or an infectious person to catch a cold.

But this is Anime, where so much as a cough means in an incurable disease, and coughing up blood is always tuberculosis. Anime hyper
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:11 pm Reply with quote
In the dn I got what I wanted and with two good arcs Tooru's was the best in my opinion it may nopt be a master class in solid writeing but it all at least felt honest and I'd like to hope this gets a second season but time will tell.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:16 pm Reply with quote
At least by the end, Seiren was the sweet, quirky show that I wanted it to be. It did in fact stay weird. I'd watch a second season but I don't know that sales are enough to warrant more.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:52 pm Reply with quote
The sheer amount of weird, off the wall, lines like, "The reason I've been sleep deprived is because I changed Hug Pillows recently" are really what kept me watching this show, but I genuinely did enjoy the last arc quite a lot. Not a great show, but I'd watch more. And it being weird ended up definitely not being a bad thing.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Miu did briefly interact with Shoichi in the first arc. She was the one complaining about going to an all girls school at the study camp, because no boys and the encounter at the vending machine later when discussing what she thinks is going on with Shoichi and Tsuneki. I assume we spent time some time with her at the festival in order to being her back into the story and give us a glimpse of what she is like since she's one of Shoichi's love interests if this ever gets another season
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4