• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fuuka

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I personally enjoyed Suzuka the anime (haven't read the manga) but I do recall form discussion here at ANN that not everybody was a fan. I think some people found Suzuka's prickly personality a bit much to take and then, of course, there was the usual kvetching of whether the MC ended up with the proper girl or not.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I personally enjoyed Suzuka the anime (haven't read the manga) but I do recall form discussion here at ANN that not everybody was a fan. I think some people found Suzuka's prickly personality a bit much to take and then, of course, there was the usual kvetching of whether the MC ended up with the proper girl or not.

Yeah, I remember people referring to it as "Bitch: the Animated Series" when it first came out over here, but I think in hindsight most of its detractors would probably have to admit that Suzuka wasn't any better or worse than most all-in tsundere characters from the show's contemporaries.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:31 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
and A Town Where You Live, which is more of a "story that takes place in the same universe" than anything.

You mean the prequel to Seo Kouji's new hit manga Daiki, right?
moonshine101

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I liked the anime so much that I've gotten into the manga non-stop. Up to chapter 100, and my god it only gets better with the characters developing dramatically. Definitely a keeper Smile
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:56 pm Reply with quote
The aforementioned event is spoiler[between ch. 36-8 when Fuuka dies being run over by a guy in a freight truck. The driver is later revealed to be the father of the next Fuuka that is currently in the manga]. The anime website lists 6 BD meaning that there will only be 12 episodes (at the moment).
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:42 am Reply with quote
Lol She whacks him then agrees to join, that was pretty funny.

I have similar stories in real life where people communicate with each other for a which and all of a sudden meet up.

Tthey did pretty well with the song at the end.
Natalie_Black

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:25 am Reply with quote
Actually I'm learning to play bass for a month and it's pretty funny how it's so easy for those characters to play... not just their instrument, but to actually play together... So if this is about music, this anime ignored the learning process...

I'm about to drop this anime... I'll guess I'll stick with it for a few more weeks because people are saying that gets better and better... we'll see....
zensunni

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:55 pm Reply with quote
While the "ignoring the learning process" aspect is a valid criticism, it would make for a fairly boring story to tell the actual story of a kid who never played an instrument learning to play bass and joining a band. However, that isn't what this story is supposed to be. I'm putting the this section in spoilers because I don't know how much of it is influenced by the manga, though...

spoiler[In episode 4 their homeroom teacher touched on it. All it takes is one person with musical genius to make a band successful. She was referring, of course, to the brilliant voice of Fuuka, who appears to have a natural gift for singing. However, it might be the case that there is another musical genius in the band that makes the story work. (Not that it is any more believable, but it ceases to be the story of the average kid playing in a band and becomes the story of the average kid who discovers he has a gift for music.)]

As for the band members other Yuu playing well, that isn't a stretch. Sara sempai is a great guitarist. That was established from the outset. She is just socially awkward. Having Yuu in the band, someone she relates to very well because of their connection online, makes this the idea situation for her. I personally thought that the 180 turnaround in her character when Yuu figured out who she was was one of the funniest moments of the show. I also enjoy her pouting at the way Yuu accepts compliments from Fuuka and doesn't from other people. That, of course, has nothing to do with the band and everything to do with how Yuu feels about Fuuka. Whether Yuu has figured that out yet or not is unclear, but I'd bet Sara has.

Then there's Mikasa. How did he go from sucking in their first practice to playing nearly flawlessly in a later practice? That is extremely simple! All he had to do is get the feel for the keyboard. He is a classically trained pianist who has won international competitions. That was mentioned in the episode. There was a picture of him at the grand piano as he talked to his sister and told her he wasn't going to come home and was going to piss off dad and stay in Japan longer because he wanted to pursue music. (One wonders if pursuing music is the only thing that pisses off dear old dad about Mikasa? He's half British if I remember correctly...)

Next, Nachi sempai and his garage band setup and improvement on the drums. When he was brought into the band, it was BECAUSE he played drums and his brother used to have him play with his garage band. So the fact that the equipment is there shouldn't be a big dues ex machina plot mechanism ass pull, should it? It is part of his character's backstory. When he went home and opened up the impressive multi-pack of drumsticks, it should have been clear that he actually played for a while and probably gave it up for track. His improvement isn't that much of a stretch since he has the equipment at home and can play along with a recording of the song anytime.

That leave's Yuu, who was shown as spending lots and lots of time practicing, getting his calouses developed, and learning how to play his instrument. There is also no saying that this practice at Nachi sempai's place was actually their SECOND practice! Remember, this isn't the show 24 where we see every minute of every day. It is possible that this was a couple of weeks later. (It might have been supposed to be the next weekend, but it could have been a while. I don't believe anyone says that it is only their 2nd practice.) They also do mention that there are still a ton of mistakes. The fact that it sounds good to us is a problem with the sound mixing, not with the writing. They should have included a few more off notes on the bass and a few more drum mess ups. Basically, the rhythm section is the band's Achilles heel and they know it. The other three consist of a prodigy on the keyboard, the sister of a rock star on guitar, and a budding genius at vocals.

I'm not saying that the writing is stellar. spoiler[And lord know it gets worse before it gets better in the manga from here.] But it is better than the review is giving it credit for in my opinion. I think episode 5 was probably the best of the series yet. (Though I was less enamored of the homophobic moment that the reviewer. While I liked the way Mikasa handled it, I didn't particularly care for the fact that it basically turned the character into some sort of fujoshi bait. That's just as bad as Yuri baiting!)
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Natalie_Black wrote:
Actually I'm learning to play bass for a month and it's pretty funny how it's so easy for those characters to play... not just their instrument, but to actually play together... So if this is about music, this anime ignored the learning process...

I'm about to drop this anime... I'll guess I'll stick with it for a few more weeks because people are saying that gets better and better... we'll see....

If you're looking for a real music anime that goes through the process of learning how to play an instrument, I recommend Beck - Mongolian Chop Squad or K-on.
Natalie_Black

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Natalie_Black wrote:

If you're looking for a real music anime that goes through the process of learning how to play an instrument, I recommend Beck - Mongolian Chop Squad or K-on.

Thanks, watched those anime a long time ago, even if I only have 2 posts here I'm quite the otaku. And actually I'm not looking for a music anime. But then, I don't know what this is all about. Typical anime romance?

As zensunni said (impressive review about characters' musical knowledge by the way), a few of them already know how to play, and we don't know how many time Yuu spent learning, but if he is not a music master (and looks like he is a master of nothing) he did pretty well. I don't know if you play a string instrument but I'm still waiting for my fingertips to stop hurting and recover sensibility. Just said it was funny because I'm in the same situation and looked so easy I wanted to learn how to play and then I remembered I was already doing it LoL

But it's ok, because this is an anime and all the girls have to fall in love with the dope. As I said, I don't know what to think about this anime, but there are 5 episodes already and there's something off with characters. Just Fuuka has a refreshing personality and I'll keep watching because of her, although I have the impression that she is going to end on the bad side of the story. Just a silly feeling and I hope to be wrong.

Also looks like a lot of people love it... is going to be funny to review Razz
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:04 am Reply with quote
Natalie_Black wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:
Natalie_Black wrote:

Thanks, watched those anime a long time ago, even if I only have 2 posts here I'm quite the otaku. And actually I'm not looking for a music anime. But then, I don't know what this is all about. Typical anime romance?

As zensunni said (impressive review about characters' musical knowledge by the way), a few of them already know how to play, and we don't know how many time Yuu spent learning, but if he is not a music master (and looks like he is a master of nothing) he did pretty well. I don't know if you play a string instrument but I'm still waiting for my fingertips to stop hurting and recover sensibility. Just said it was funny because I'm in the same situation and looked so easy I wanted to learn how to play and then I remembered I was already doing it LoL

But it's ok, because this is an anime and all the girls have to fall in love with the dope. As I said, I don't know what to think about this anime, but there are 5 episodes already and there's something off with characters. Just Fuuka has a refreshing personality and I'll keep watching because of her, although I have the impression that she is going to end on the bad side of the story. Just a silly feeling and I hope to be wrong.

Also looks like a lot of people love it... is going to be funny to review Razz

Well, he is certainly NOT a great bass player at this point, that's for sure... And at this point in the story, Yuu certainly does seem to be a master of nothing, other than that thing that has been pointed out by Fuuka a few times: he is kind to a fault. (This is a common theme in Kouji Seo's main characters. I'm not sure that I would say it is true of Yamato Akitsuki, Fuuka's dad, it is definitely true of Haruto Kirishima from A Town Where You Live. Characters from that should be making cameo appearances in Fuuka, but i haven't noticed them yet. Actually, their first meeting should have happened right around the corner from Karishima's restaurant. In the manga there were cameos in the beach episode as well, but I don't remember seeing them...Did anybody notice? I think the next cameo sighting is at the school fair, which the call a fair instead of festival for some reason...)

If I remember correctly, in the manga, Yuu actually cried at the end of that practice session because he felt he "got it" for the first time or something like that. They toned it down a bit for the anime. (Then he felt really lame, and Nachi thought people were going to blame him for making the kid cry or something.)

spoiler[As for the music side, there are other aspects to music that can make someone a musical genius, even if they are only serviceable on the instrument they play... that is later in the story though.]
Natalie_Black

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Ahh! You're watching this with advantage!!!

I haven't read the manga, and I'm watching this with zero knowledge about anything. And I'm also reading all the spoiler boxes Anime hyper

So, maybe have you been talking about other series that happens in the same universe?

Anyway, I'm finding lots of tropes, and at this point nothing we haven't watched before. But I'm not going to drop it and wait how everything develops from now on.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:02 am Reply with quote
^ Read the manga. It's a good overview of the music business, good aspects as well as not so much. Manga mentioned there would be a plethora of fan service in the anime. No doubt the fog will have evaporated in certain scenes if Fuuka gets a BD home video release.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:15 am Reply with quote
Natalie_Black wrote:
I haven't read the manga, and I'm watching this with zero knowledge about anything. And I'm also reading all the spoiler boxes Anime hyper

Don't. For this manga. DO.NO.READ.SPOILERS.

Trust me on this...
HolyR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Man, I watched a bit of this and having read the manga I just wanna say that Seo Kouji's fanservice is a special kind of suck. It's always so stilted and uncomfortable and so far away from intimate that it just becomes gross.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7