• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Charlotte Blu-Ray 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:35 am Reply with quote
I didn't mind Charlotte. It definitely went in directions I wasn't expecting, and probably if I really thought about it I'd realise there were way too many things happening in a short period of time (especially last ep). And I didn't care about the second gang of characters that appeared, so spoiler[when one of them died] I didn't really care. And I didn't care heaps about the other characters, though Yuu's breakdown in part 1 was a little bit emotional.

But to be honest, I'm a simple girl, and when I see a dude maniacally laughing and growing more and more mentally unstable like spoiler[Yuu does in the last episode], I'm gonna enjoy the show.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:48 am Reply with quote
With Charlotte, I was hoping for the next Angel Beats!, but what we got instead was just a somewhat more coherent Mekakucity Actors.

For everyone who thinks it would be better if it had been longer than one cour, the CEO of Visual Art's said at last year's Anime Central in Chicago that Maeda wants to do more with Charlotte, so maybe it'll get continued or revised in some form. To wit, there is a very slow-moving manga adaptation in Dengeki G's Comic that looks like it'll take a couple years just to get through the anime's main story, and maybe that would offer some room to expand.

That said, I agree with Nick's point (and in Gabriella's episodic reviews two summers back) that Maeda seems to be a master of individual moments, not coherent overall stories, so simply having a bigger space to work with is in no way guaranteed to fix Charlotte's problems. After all, every time we've gotten a new Angel Beats! OVA, it has made the series worse, not better.

[Also, speaking of Angel Beats, has anyone else noticed that the Heaven's Door manga has completely disappeared from Seven Seas' release schedule? Not a good sign.]
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I don't agree at all; I thought the second half was the better one. Maeda has always been about conveying emotion and not cohesive narration and this is no exception. I'd recommend this to everyone who is a fan of his other works. Personally, Charlotte is my second favorite.

true enough. its definitely better than it appears, but the reviewer was right about the flaws if nothing else.

the ending was clearly rushed, BUT considering how long the source materials is i wasn't surprised at the slightest. at least it had a quazi decent one and not one that had people scratching their heads like say in chaos dragon. however just like what Blood C: The Last Dark movie did for its TV series, its more or less a given that both series NEEDS a second season or a movie to absolve the mistakes that was done to the TV series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I don't agree at all; I thought the second half was the better one. Maeda has always been about conveying emotion and not cohesive narration and this is no exception. I'd recommend this to everyone who is a fan of his other works. Personally, Charlotte is my second favorite.
Absolutely agree. Charlotte's second half is great specifically because Maeda undercuts the rest of the series. The first half is very clearly pandering to an otaku demographic, setting up intentional character tropes, situational tropes, etc. The second half is his very deliberate (and very clever) knocking down of all those tropes, a knocking down of the generic, LN-fueled, schoolboy empowerment fantasies that make up so much of the modern anime industry.

As somebody who actually isn't a fan of Maeda, as I really don't like Angel Beats and never got into Clannad, I absolutely adored Charlotte. It's one of the best anime I've seen in recent years.
russ869

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:33 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
The deriving of the ending has to make sense and you should be able to find hints of event that build up to the such a climax. It can't just come out of nowhere just because. Build ups like Berserk and the whole sacrifice event, the show tried to warn you that a major event would come about but you just underestimated how major or what form that event would take.

Why? Who says an ending can't just come out of nowhere. Even though you use Berserk as a counterexample, I interestingly enough see that ending as coming even more without warning than this one. Somewhere in the back of my mind I at least understood that spoiler[Yuu plundering all of the mutant powers in the world] was one possible (if utterly ridiculous) solution to the problem that at least made sense in the show's internal logic..
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:51 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Yuu is the villain of the second half.

His actions are no different, than those villains trying to 'cure' mutants against their will in the X-Men series.

Think many of you would be singing a different tune, if Yuu came to your home town and beat you up and stole your powers or abilities from you.

Um, no. I'd much rather have my powers stolen from me the way Yuu did it than be caught and tortured into insanity like Nao's brother.

The people hunting down the teens with powers were eventually going to catch them and give them a far worse fate. Yuu wanted to avoid that. The victims were screwed either way; if you had to choose between:

not having powers but your happy, normal life with family
OR
being treated as a quarantined freak experiment, which would you choose?
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I actually was going to read this before work today, but I held off on it so I'd have something good to read afterwards, like a treat. It didn't disappoint. The 2nd half was an absolute trainwreck. You know how people lose their trains of thought? Here, they all met on the same track, and every loose train of thought in fiction converged to make the world builders of Dark Souls 3 skeptical such a collision was even possible.

I can't even see what they were thinking. All those character goods they need to sell? None of the characters from the first half do anything in the second. None of the new characters later on are memorable. In my circle this show has become the butt of jokes. Aside from the ass-pull plot turns that were interesting when they first arise, there's no reason to want to go back and watch this show.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Yuu is the villain of the second half.

His actions are no different, than those villains trying to 'cure' mutants against their will in the X-Men series.

Think many of you would be singing a different tune, if Yuu came to your home town and beat you up and stole your powers or abilities from you.

Um, no. I'd much rather have my powers stolen from me the way Yuu did it than be caught and tortured into insanity like Nao's brother.

The people hunting down the teens with powers were eventually going to catch them and give them a far worse fate. Yuu wanted to avoid that. The victims were screwed either way; if you had to choose between:

not having powers but your happy, normal life with family
OR
being treated as a quarantined freak experiment, which would you choose?

Yuu is no different than those other hunters, just his reasons for doing it. Also, there is not just 2 choices in life. Who is Yuu to tell us how to live our lives. Yuu took that choice away, just like the other hunters. People who take things from you against your will, always have an excuse for their actions.
Exalted Incarnate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I seriously hated the whole "haveing supernatural powers is wrong" idea the series had. It would have been more interesting if the main character embraced his power and perhaps even insanity but no the series tossed that down the drain.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:19 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Yuu is no different than those other hunters, just his reasons for doing it.

That makes ALL the difference in the world!!!

Quote:
Also, there is not just 2 choices in life.

Elaborate please? The series made it pretty clear those WERE the only choices in this universe. It was either the hard way or the harder way. Besides, lots of those powers were dangerous; he probably saved thousands of lives by taking them.

Quote:
It would have been more interesting if the main character embraced his power

This is exactly what he did but he did it for the wrong reasons.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

.....Elaborate please? The series made it pretty clear those WERE the only choices in this universe. It was either the hard way or the harder way. Besides, lots of those powers were dangerous; he probably saved thousands of lives by taking them.....

Sounds like to me, a lot of those people who had dangerous powers, could be quite dangerous to the hunters also. Which is another choice that could be made.

Human beings even those with powers, have plenty of choices and paths they can choose. Even in that universe.

Yuu is just as bad as the hunters, because he did not offer, but took. If the people who wanted to forcible cure mutants in the X-Men series are villains, then Yuu has to be a villain also. The road to hell is paved with good intentions, but it is still the road to hell.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:39 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Sounds like to me, a lot of those people who had dangerous powers, could be quite dangerous to the hunters also. Which is another choice that could be made.

A choice to do what? Kill everyone who threatens them out of defense?

Yeah, that doesn't sound so good to me either.

Quote:
Yuu is just as bad as the hunters, because he did not offer, but took.

If I saw a child playing with a loaded gun or a flame thrower, I would take it away from them.....guess I'm a bad person, huh?

Quote:
The road to hell is paved with good intentions, but it is still the road to hell.

Lol, that's funny. I didn't know hell was "having a peaceful life without being separated from your family".

Boy, have I got news for ya..... Rolling Eyes
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I hear people screaming how Trump is going to take everything away from them, and you are saying you are fine with another person taking from you.

There is no problem if you want Yuu to 'remove' your powers. That is a choice that you made. But Yuu doesn't have the right to do that to people that don't want to their powers to be removed. Just like in the X-Men. Are you saying you would be okay with the Federal government forcibly removing the X-Men of their powers, maybe even killing them if they resist.

Guess we agree to disagree, cause I for sure don't want people messing with me, or trying to change me for their own purposes.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:37 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I hear people screaming how Trump is going to take everything away from them

Rolling Eyes

Lol I don't want my tax dollars paying for illegal immigrants, single moms who refuse to limit their childbirth and crackheads on welfare just to sit on their butts instead of working. If they have obtained things that don't belong to them in the first place, it bloody serves them right. They're a bunch of irresponsible crybabies who have been spoiled rotten by the government; it's time to get with the program.

Quote:
There is no problem if you want Yuu to 'remove' your powers. That is a choice that you made. But Yuu doesn't have the right to do that to people that don't want to their powers to be removed. Just like in the X-Men. Are you saying you would be okay with the Federal government forcibly removing the X-Men of their powers, maybe even killing them if they resist.

I'm not really familiar with the X-Men franchise so we cannot use this to compare.

Quote:
I for sure don't want people messing with me, or trying to change me for their own purposes.

Okay but you're missing the point: Yuu didn't do it for his own purpose, he did it for theirs. He did it so they wouldn't have to suffer or accidentally die. So how does that make him a bad person?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

I'm not really familiar with the X-Men franchise so we cannot use this to compare.

Pity, it is the best example.

Chiibi wrote:
Okay but you're missing the point: Yuu didn't do it for his own purpose, he did it for theirs. He did it so they wouldn't have to suffer or accidentally die. So how does that make him a bad person?

If Yuu had sat down with all his victims and offered them his services and gave them the choice, you would be absolutely right.

That was not what happened. So it was for Yuu's purposes, not his victims. Yuu decided for his victims.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4