• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sailor Moon Crystal Anime Gets Sequel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:23 am Reply with quote
tootbrush wrote:
1dbad wrote:
I feel Crystal started to hit its groove last season

I wonder where this narrative is coming from. The 3rd season may have had more consistent animation (and lack thereof), but it still had the same flaw as the first two: being too faithful to the manga. During Crystal it became quite clear to me that Takeuchi may have the ideas, but she's a bad writer. The characters and relationships need fleshing out beyond what's in the manga (a la the 90s anime).

My thoughts exactly. Season 3 was a major disappointment for me because the characterization and writing didn't live up to how beloved the arc is (I was particularly disappointed by how nonexistent the Haruka/Michiru relationship turned out to be), but it also wasn't laughably horrible so it seemed stuck in plain mediocrity that fans of the manga loved because it was comparatively better -visually at least- than the garbage that were the first two Crystal arcs. Honestly gotta agree that while Takeuchi may have good ideas, she's a terrible writer, everything plotwise was awfully shallow and the characters minus Usagi and Chibiusa might as well not be there for all the development (or lack thereof) that they get
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:58 am Reply with quote
Im gonna take a wild guess and say that those upscale version of the original series are going to be superior to what VIZ is releasing now.
zfunk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:20 am Reply with quote
Finally going to see the Sailor Quartet animated, it is going to be so awesome. And maybe if this continues to be a success, we will get a Sailor V adaptation and my ultimate a direct sequel to the manga just like Dragon Ball Super.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:23 pm Reply with quote
nagpo wrote:
I hope this BD release is better than the one Viz released and has english subs and is region free.

Zoneflare wrote:
Im gonna take a wild guess and say that those upscale version of the original series are going to be superior to what VIZ is releasing now.

Aside from the subs because there won't be any, it will look better because this is the same upscale that aired back in 2015.

http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison.php?id=127293
http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison.php?id=127805
http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison.php?id=127807
http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison.php?id=127810

If only they used the actual film for this though (which Toei still has btw, anyone who says otherwise is full of it), it would be better than their red-tinted R2 DVDs.

The only thing that sucks is, in addition to them reusing old 90s LaserDisc artwork again, this seems to be yet another bare-bones release extras-wise which is a shame because there were interviews & other features that were included in the original LD & VHS releases back in the 90s. They could have included those on a bonus disc similar to what they did for Saint Seiya's upscale.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:50 am Reply with quote
zfunk wrote:
Finally going to see the Sailor Quartet animated, it is going to be so awesome. And maybe if this continues to be a success, we will get a Sailor V adaptation and my ultimate a direct sequel to the manga just like Dragon Ball Super.

??? Are you saying want them to make a BS sequel to Sailor Moon considering how Stars ends????

But yes, I agree, a Sailor V anime adaption would be nice. And they could do great to fill in the blanks until her arrival into the Sailor Moon series.
zfunk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
zfunk wrote:

??? Are you saying want them to make a BS sequel to Sailor Moon considering how Stars ends????

But yes, I agree, a Sailor V anime adaption would be nice. And they could do great to fill in the blanks until her arrival into the Sailor Moon series.

Personnel I want a spinoff focusing on Chibiusa the Sailor Quartet.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Is this going to be the Dream Arc (which was the best arc ever in the manga)? If so, then I and a lot of Sailor Moon fans are all going to cheer with happiness. And frankly, this is when Naoko hit her stride, but unfortunately she screwed up with Stars...I have to agree with CrowLia, while Naoko has great concepts, she can't really execute them properly...

That arc was so much better in the manga, minus one part. Nehellenia's backstory there, whilst cool, does feel too close to Sleeping Beauty's. Both it and the anime's ending (in Stars) were equally as great too, though I'm afraid Toei may tone down possibly the most scariest and disturbing part of the manga spoiler[ the Sailors' decomposing corpses ], if they don't though, then we'll all be shocked and scared Laughing

I'm concerned about what Stars will be like though, I actually don't have high hopes for it.

@Adv193

No, it still was for teens and such despite having commercials and toys for kids; my DVDs (the Pioneer ones) say it's for 13+, plus it didn't "water down the manga's story": both versions came out at the same time and Toei was trying to improve the story and make it appeal more to audiences.

@AsuraTheDestructor

The 90's version had better fight scenes than Crystal too. Pretty Cure's are OK, but unfortunately that franchise to me has gone downhill. Sad
1dbad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:03 am Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
Is this going to be the Dream Arc (which was the best arc ever in the manga)?

Yep!
SailorNaruto

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:28 am Reply with quote
I had to fight back a scream of joy when I got the news. I've been waiting for word of a continuation for AGES now. SuperS drifted so far away from the source material it's not even funny. Seriously, they left out a lot of crap. I've never tried to hide my disdain for this season, so needless to say I'm crazy hyped for Crystal's take.

1dbad wrote:
Incredibly hyped. Dream is my favorite of the manga arcs, and one of the ones most in need of the Crystal treatment. The amount of differences between SuperS and the Dream arc are so vast, it's practically an entirely different story with the same characters. .

This. Freaking this lol, you read my mind. The Dream arc may not have been my favorite arc of the manga, but I did enjoy it. I can't say that for SuperS. In fact I absolutely loathe it. To this day I don't understand how the anime could come off of S, easily the best season of the anime, into SuperS, which is no doubt the worst.

1dbad wrote:
Except Stars needs some changes because it was crap in both 90s anime AND the manga.

Oy. I couldn't disagree with more if I tried. You're the first person I've ever seen say that Stars was crap, or even say it was bad for that matter. The anime version divided people, myself included, but the manga version is well regarded as being the best of the series. If you ask Stars is perfect as is and doesn't need changing in the least. That's just my two cents.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:47 am Reply with quote
Dream in the manga is great, but, I'm sorry, Stars in the manga isn't perfect, it has its flaws in it, looking back on that arc as a whole there are five big ones that in my opinion mar it.

The first is Naoko just made the Inners/Outers useless and killed them all off right away thus invalidating the previous arc and thus wasting all the time that was spent unifying the entire Sailor Team together, plus it once again pushed the Inners and this time the Outers to the sidelines. It makes the whole spoiler[ Moon vs the evil Inners and Outers fight ] not as emotional as it should be. Whilst that fight was pretty much reduced to Moon and Starlights vs Uranus and Neptune in the anime, and the Inners were dead, at least it still had episodes that developed them.

The second to me is the whole thing with Kakyuu being a Sailor Soldier/the whole thing with the Three Lights dying. First off, Kakyuu being Sailor Kayuu sadly had the same problems as Venus disguising herself as the Princess and Hotaru being a cyborg: it didn't move the story forward aside from having Kakyuu get added to the number of casualities shortly afterward, it didn't develop her character, and it left no impact on the story (the two also didn't work because Usagi and Hotaru were revealed to be the Princess/Mistress 9 in the chapters right after what we saw of that). Also, we never see what happened to them after they died: since we don't see them, did they come back/get revived, or are they dead forever? And the same thing can apply with the three cats, their treatment was just brutal here and considering unfortunately they were useless in their human forms here (all that happens is they get turned back into cats that can't talk), once again, to me, it brings up, what's the point? Even the Sailor Quartet, as nice as it is to see them, didn't really do much, they attack once, and then get knocked out for most of the rest of the arc after getting hit by Evil Mercury and Mars. And on another note, I love how the Starlights just stand there and not do anything when Mercury and Jupiter are attacked and killed and then they finally act when their Star Seeds/Sailor Crystals are taken. Confused

The third is a good amount of the villains aren't even sympathetic. Sailor Lethe is one of the villains I now hate in the manga with a burning passion, what with her killing the three cats and taking away Usagi's memories, and even when her backstory with her sister (I'm too lazy to type out her name) is revealed, I still felt no sympathy for her and I'm wondering how the two of them even got along, it's like it was the backstory was just tossed out there to try to evoke sympathy for her. Same thing with Galaxia, we get the implication spoiler[ she just goes around destroying random planets and killing a ton of innocent people for the heck of it before discovering Chaos, has no regrets for her actions, then we find out her backstory, and then when Moon's mentioning her friends and such, Galaxia just suddenly turns around and we're supposed to feel sympathetic for her when she dies? No, I don't think so. It's just as bad as Gemini/Sea Dragon Kanon's backstory/"redemption" from the Saint Seiya Poseidon arc where he was responsible for a ton of innocent people drowning in floods, just wanted to conquer the world and then he just turns around at the end for a lame reason...]

The fourth one is there's not a lot of much world building and such when it comes to the castles. We only see Uranus, Neptune and Pluto's castles. Why not show the Inners' castles too? It would have been cool to see what they looked like, but nope, they once again gotta shaft the Inners to the sidelines here Anime hyper

The fifth and final one is the ending, while it has good parts like spoiler[Usagi and Mamoru's marriage and Inners/Outers and Chibi-Usa getting revived,] it's still very confusing as it's got a lot of things that are brought up out of nowhere and never explained, like the whole "Lambda Power" thing. What is "Lambda Power?" We're never explained. Cosmos' story also felt very confusing, and so did the ending, is it implied eventually Chaos is going to come and attack and kill all the Sailors or something in the future before Cosmos appears? And everyone's just fine with it? That doesn't sound like a good thing to me at all, it makes the ending sound more sad/bad if happy or anything.

Sorry if this is long, but I just felt like stating what I think of manga Stars' flaws. Do I think it's bad though? No, but it needs room for improvement, and I do wish that if Toei were to adapt it we could see improvements, like making the Inners/Outers more useful here, don't kill them off right away, and maybe, like I said, see what the Inners' castles are like, otherwise I believe, it'll just be on par with the first two seasons when they had their flaws and it'll just feel like Toei's just mailing it in... Sad
1dbad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm in the middle when it comes to Stars. I do agree with a lot of the complaints. Naoko introduced way too many things at once, without having the time to properly explore or explain most of them. It leaves the arc feeling the most rushed out of all the story arcs. But, I also think there are A LOT of awesome and fascinating concepts there.

My ideal adaptation of it would be one that improves it, but let's be real, we're not going to get that. But I do hope Crystal covers it. There are too many awesome things we missed out on in the original anime that I would love to see animated. I also think Crystal will improve it at least a bit. Like I'm sure they'll include the cats and Starlights in the ending, and possibly show a brief glimpse of the Inners' castles or something.

Sailor Sedna wrote:
Cosmos' story also felt very confusing, and so did the ending, is it implied eventually Chaos is going to come and attack and kill all the Sailors or something in the future before Cosmos appears? And everyone's just fine with it? That doesn't sound like a good thing to me at all, it makes the ending sound more sad/bad if happy or anything.

I didn't get the impression Chaos was going to kill everyone again per say. It felt like more of a "Evil can never truly be defeated, but so long as we keep fighting, it will never be able to take over" kind of thing. It's bittersweet, but I appreciated how realistic of an ending it was. I still thought it was fairly positive too - at least more so than the original conclusion Cosmos came to.

Last edited by 1dbad on Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I understand what you mean. To be frank it was a while since I'd last read the Stars manga and I still don't really understand the ending.

Like I said though, I also do want to see what the Inners' Castles might look like otherwise it's just wasted potential and gives off the impression they're actually not that important in the manga/Crystal.
SailorNaruto

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
Like I said though, I also do want to see what the Inners' Castles might look like otherwise it's just wasted potential and gives off the impression they're actually not that important in the manga/Crystal.

The inners are important, their castles aren't. I'd like to see em too but it's not that big a deal of we don't. The only reason the outer's castles were shown is because at the time that's where they were, so it was kind of crucial to the plot. Not to mention that at the time the castles were shown the senshi were in the middle of a crisis, so anything else was pretty irrelevant at that point.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:54 am Reply with quote
@SailorNaruto

But then what's the point of even giving them castles and not showing anything about them or what they're like, and considering how a lot of the times the Inners are pushed to the sidelines and such in the manga and didn't really do much in the Stars manga...once again, what is the point of having a character and not doing anything with them? Anime hyper
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:03 pm Reply with quote
@SkerllyF

Naoko actually isn't involved in the making of Crystal, so we don't know what she thinks of it. I doubt she likes it though, she was disappointed with how her manga turned out.

Most of the newer ANN Sailor Moon reviews are great, but a good amount of the older ones...not so much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3