Forum - View topic
NEWS: Macross Gets New TV Anime in 2018, 35th Anniversary Project


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ZetaZaku



Joined: 18 Mar 2014
Posts: 137
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:18 am Reply with quote
Hopefully it won't suck like Delta did.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dark13



Joined: 04 Oct 2015
Posts: 562
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:25 am Reply with quote
I hope it won't be a train wreck like Delta was seriously, such a lame ass show.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hawkmonger



Joined: 30 May 2014
Posts: 440
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:47 am Reply with quote
Surprised to see so much dislike for Delta, what little i've seen seem's very palatable and pleasant.

But then again, i'm quite the Macross novice, so i'll take this series as an opportunity to jump on the bandwagon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Marzan



Joined: 29 Mar 2009
Posts: 474
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:57 am Reply with quote
So soon!!? There's normally almost a decade between Macross TV series. Maybe the lack of success of Delta pushed them to do a rethink on that.
Maybe it's just Delta but with a decent script and a storyline that engages the audience. In any case more Macross is never a bad thing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SHD



Joined: 05 Apr 2015
Posts: 1006
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:11 am Reply with quote
Hawkmonger wrote:
Surprised to see so much dislike for Delta, what little i've seen seem's very palatable and pleasant.

But then again, i'm quite the Macross novice, so i'll take this series as an opportunity to jump on the bandwagon.

A lot of people wanted a Macross Frontier v2 and Delta wasn't it - if anything, it was very much a not-Frontier. A lot of the hate you see is from people for whom Frontier was the first Macross - that was what they imprinted on, so instead of noticing how Macross series tend to be fairly different from each other, they expected to get more of the same, and that's not what happened. And then there's also the people who wanted Mirage as the "winner" of the love triangle, and that didn't happen either. Mix them with the kind of Frontier fans who passionately hated Ranka and projected these feelings on poor Freyja, add the "spice" of the people who still can't let go of the (since then very thoroughly debunked) fake interviews/rumors about how Kawamori was biased towards Ranka, and the result is as you can imagine.

I loved Delta - I admit the plot wasn't all that and the last third could have been handled better (Roid could've been such a good antagonist, too bad they ended up sticking to old and tired tropes), but it was a lot of fun, I liked the characters and I liked the music. As someone who's been watching Macross for quite a while and wasn't all that crazy about Frontier (music aside), this was the first Macross series that I really liked in a very long time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SmSenpai



Joined: 29 Jan 2017
Posts: 2
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:26 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Hawkmonger wrote:
Surprised to see so much dislike for Delta, what little i've seen seem's very palatable and pleasant.

But then again, i'm quite the Macross novice, so i'll take this series as an opportunity to jump on the bandwagon.

A lot of people wanted a Macross Frontier v2 and Delta wasn't it - if anything, it was very much a not-Frontier. A lot of the hate you see is from people for whom Frontier was the first Macross - that was what they imprinted on, so instead of noticing how Macross series tend to be fairly different from each other, they expected to get more of the same, and that's not what happened. And then there's also the people who wanted Mirage as the "winner" of the love triangle, and that didn't happen either. Mix them with the kind of Frontier fans who passionately hated Ranka and projected these feelings on poor Freyja, add the "spice" of the people who still can't let go of the (since then very thoroughly debunked) fake interviews/rumors about how Kawamori was biased towards Ranka, and the result is as you can imagine.

I loved Delta - I admit the plot wasn't all that and the last third could have been handled better (Roid could've been such a good antagonist, too bad they ended up sticking to old and tired tropes), but it was a lot of fun, I liked the characters and I liked the music. As someone who's been watching Macross for quite a while and wasn't all that crazy about Frontier (music aside), this was the first Macross series that I really liked in a very long time.


Despite being a "terrible" macross its still sell well bd/album etc...mainly because of walkure..also the one who hate Freyja actually those macross "tradition" bandwagon..glad they got slap in the face...I still remember when delta first airing.. I'll say every macross is different from each others and i got attacked by this "tradition" fag..Whatever the new macross is please be better than previous one...bring back my faith to you Kawamori
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tootbrush



Joined: 31 Oct 2009
Posts: 220
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:29 am Reply with quote
Hawkmonger wrote:
Surprised to see so much dislike for Delta, what little i've seen seem's very palatable and pleasant.

First half was great, but then the train fell off a cliff. The pacing slows down to a crawl. A bunch of seemingly important storylines that started or were hinted at in the first half are dropped or left without a conclusion. The galactic war isn't really a war. Berger turns from an enigmatic merchant into a writer's self-insert who dumps plot all over the place. The idols that everyone was afraid would take over the show ultimately don't matter at all.

Honestly they should dial down the stakes from that spoiler[galaxy-spanning consciousness BS] they tried in both Frontier and Delta.


Last edited by tootbrush on Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr_Mokkori



Joined: 29 Jan 2017
Posts: 2
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:33 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Hawkmonger wrote:
Surprised to see so much dislike for Delta, what little i've seen seem's very palatable and pleasant.

But then again, i'm quite the Macross novice, so i'll take this series as an opportunity to jump on the bandwagon.

A lot of people wanted a Macross Frontier v2 and Delta wasn't it - if anything, it was very much a not-Frontier. A lot of the hate you see is from people for whom Frontier was the first Macross - that was what they imprinted on, so instead of noticing how Macross series tend to be fairly different from each other, they expected to get more of the same, and that's not what happened. And then there's also the people who wanted Mirage as the "winner" of the love triangle, and that didn't happen either. Mix them with the kind of Frontier fans who passionately hated Ranka and projected these feelings on poor Freyja, add the "spice" of the people who still can't let go of the (since then very thoroughly debunked) fake interviews/rumors about how Kawamori was biased towards Ranka, and the result is as you can imagine.

I loved Delta - I admit the plot wasn't all that and the last third could have been handled better (Roid could've been such a good antagonist, too bad they ended up sticking to old and tired tropes), but it was a lot of fun, I liked the characters and I liked the music. As someone who's been watching Macross for quite a while and wasn't all that crazy about Frontier (music aside), this was the first Macross series that I really liked in a very long time.

Anyway, this will probably be a Delta movie. Sucks for the haters.


You are not tottally wrong on the first part, A lot of shipper disliked the series for b***it, but the other side give hime good reviews that delta doesn't deserve. But a lot a of old fans like me were disapointed/felt betrayed (I never felt so bad after watching an anime)

Delta was bad in all the aspects, The only good point was the use of the miclone world part of the lore wich give diversity.

The mechas were nearly useless, the fight scenes were boring as f**k.(for a mecha series it's bad)
The story was predictable from the start ( didn't need to see more than 5 episodes to see that there will be a "third" party at the end. More over they used an indecent hype for the old fans and didn't explained it more, like "hey let's talk about ruining your childhood by talking about characters you love in a series half hearted made.)

The love "triangle" was obvious from the start and they didn't bothered making some scene to put the doubt in the the spectator.

The music was.... empty. All the series of macross have at least a good base of music, here none, just plain pop idol music that can be found anywhere without any "soul"

Seriously I felt that Delta was more of a promotional clip using a 3-star series to promote a walmart group of idol.....(when the name of the band is displayed before the series name in the opening..... you can have doubts) and was my worst experience of watching anime for awhile (even the awful looking of berserk and the disapointing end of Kumamiko were better)

I can continue to say why this series is bad, but at least, it's not a trainwreck like people say, it was bad as hell but not a complete disaster since a few part are good in it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
penguintruth



Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 8148
Location: Penguinopolis
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:33 am Reply with quote
The Macross franchise was driven into the ground a while ago. Zero was garbage, Frontier was "meh", and Delta was unspeakable. Kawamori has learned nothing. Either bring in somebody really good to write/direct beside/with him, or don't bother with more.

We need another Plus. Not a sequel, another one. Something that makes you stand up and cheer for its magnificence like Plus did.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zhou-BR



Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 1232
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:34 am Reply with quote
Given how long the pre-production of a Macross title tends to be, I'm surprised to see such a fast turnaround between Delta and this new TV series, which could mean it will be a straight sequel featuring the same characters and setting. If that's what they're doing, I'll be pleased, because Delta's ending raised a lot of questions I'd like to see answered, and what passed for a resolution to the spoiler[Lady M mystery] was particularly unsatisfying.

Commercially, though, I'm not sure it would be a good idea. Walküre's selling lots of albums and singles, so I can see the appeal of keeping that unit together, but Delta's BD/DVD sales are way down from Frontier. They're still high enough to qualify the show as a modest hit, but a straight sequel would probably sell much less than that, given the usual sales attrition that happens between seasons of any anime franchise, no matter how big it is.


Last edited by Zhou-BR on Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SmSenpai



Joined: 29 Jan 2017
Posts: 2
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:38 am Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
Given how long the pre-production of a Macross title tends to be, I'm surprised to see such a fast turnout between Delta and this new TV series, which could mean it will be a straight sequel featuring the same characters and setting. If that's what they're doing, I'll be pleased, because Delta's ending raised a lot of questions I'd like to see answered, and what passed for a resolution to the spoiler[Lady M mystery] was particularly unsatisfying.

Yeah I think so too...I have the strong feeling that this macross will be macross that end all macross universe mystery...all previous macross mc thats still alive will be in this
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Marzan



Joined: 29 Mar 2009
Posts: 474
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:49 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
The Macross franchise was driven into the ground a while ago. Zero was garbage, Frontier was "meh", and Delta was unspeakable. Kawamori has learned nothing. Either bring in somebody really good to write/direct beside/with him, or don't bother with more.

We need another Plus. Not a sequel, another one. Something that makes you stand up and cheer for its magnificence like Plus did.


Don't think we'll ever get anything as well crafted as Plus on our life time. A show like that will not sell well in Japan.

Totally agree with you on Kawamori though. It'd be great to have a new mind developing a story in that universe
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kikaioh



Joined: 01 Jun 2009
Posts: 1204
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The franchise began in 1982 with The Super Dimension Fortress Macross, a television anime series with themes of a love triangle, music, and transforming fighter planes.


I take umbrage at the order that these are listed in.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
penguintruth



Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 8148
Location: Penguinopolis
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:54 am Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:

Don't think we'll ever get anything as well crafted as Plus on our life time. A show like that will not sell well in Japan.

Totally agree with you on Kawamori though. It'd be great to have a new mind developing a story in that universe


They should give Sayo Yamamoto a shot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SHD



Joined: 05 Apr 2015
Posts: 1006
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:58 am Reply with quote
Mr_Mokkori wrote:
The mechas were nearly useless, the fight scenes were boring as f**k.(for a mecha series it's bad)
The story was predictable from the start ( didn't need to see more than 5 episodes to see that there will be a "third" party at the end. More over they used an indecent hype for the old fans and didn't explained it more, like "hey let's talk about ruining your childhood by talking about characters you love in a series half hearted made.)

Yes, the story was predictable, but what Macross story wasn't? Also, so basically you're faulting them for advertising a Macros show to... people who like Macross? Very Happy;;

Mr_Mokkori wrote:
The love "triangle" was obvious from the start and they didn't bothered making some scene to put the doubt in the the spectator.

Frankly, I never thought of it as a love triangle, and I think it was never really meant to be one. I would've preferred if they didn't even try, but I'd bet anything that Mirage got involved because the producers felt obliged to add something triangle-ish to the story because of traditions or something. Anything happening on her end was shot down very soon and very definitively, and again, it's not the show's fault that people couldn't get over that.

Mr_Mokkori wrote:
The music was.... empty. All the series of macross have at least a good base of music, here none, just plain pop idol music that can be found anywhere without any "soul"

Says you. I loved the music, and I think it was pretty good and balanced, with the singers having good chemistry and good balance. (Unlike in Frontier's music where May'n's Sheryl was just overpowering, both music and voice-wise, creating some really awkward-sounding duets and a generally unbalanced music.)

Zhou-BR wrote:
Commercially, though, I'm not sure it would be a good idea. Walküre's selling lots of albums and singles, so I can see the appeal of keeping that unit together, but Delta's BD/DVD sales are way down from Frontier.

Except the entire anime scene has changed so much since Frontier it makes no sense to try and compare Delta's sales to Frontier. Frontier was, at the time, something of an anomaly, with the heavy focus on idols, and having two of them, even. It was something quite unusual and people ate it up with a spoon. Now, though? Idols and anime featuring idols, even in mech/war context, are dime a dozen. You have at least two idol-themed shows per season. Love Live is a giant hit that half the nation is obsessed with. There's a huge competition on the idol front, and on the story front Delta was too steeped in the Macross universe to be very newbie-friendly. (Also, Delta just happened to air in the same season as a Love Live series, and that all but sealed its fate.)


Last edited by SHD on Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group