• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, January 23-29

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious as to why you clearly think it will be smaller than the norm when all the data that I have seen show that on average the drop for later volumes is larger for shows with a heavy female audience than shows with a heavier male audience. Just look at pretty much every single home video release to see that. The most obvious recent example being Osomatsu-san,
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:17 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of sad that seemingly the main incentive for people to buy these overpriced volumes isn't the actual shows themselves but rather some stupid event tickets.

Mob's doing alright still, but it still pains me that it doesn't rank higher. *sigh*
BlueOla

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
It's kind of sad that seemingly the main incentive for people to buy these overpriced volumes isn't the actual shows themselves but rather some stupid event tickets.

Mob's doing alright still, but it still pains me that it doesn't rank higher. *sigh*

Surely, wanting to attend an event related to an anime one loves is natural and not a bad thing? O rather, let me rephrase that - surely, they wouldn't be so desperate to attend the event if it weren't for their love for the actual show?

It's not a stupid event either; it will feature the writer for the series (Kubo Mitsurou) and many of the seiyuu, including the main cast. Japanese fans love those things, hell, I LOVE THOSE THINGS, I really don't think it's weird that they'd want to attend an exclusive event for which one can only get tickets through applying through the sheet that comes with the DVD/BD volumes.

We'll see how volume 3 does and if the sales drop much when their is not event-based incentive though.

PS: Japanese fans don't care that they're overpriced, as proven by the sale numbers lol.
musouka

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I'm curious as to why you clearly think it will be smaller than the norm when all the data that I have seen show that on average the drop for later volumes is larger for shows with a heavy female audience than shows with a heavier male audience. Just look at pretty much every single home video release to see that. The most obvious recent example being Osomatsu-san,

YOI is not a 26 episode series, for starters. (Are we now admitting that Osomatsu-san's popularity is due to women?) The big drop will probably hit around volume four--volume three will see a mild drop.
BlueOla

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:59 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

YOI is not a 26 episode series, for starters. (Are we now admitting that Osomatsu-san's popularity is due to women?) The big drop will probably hit around volume four--volume three will see a mild drop.

Volume 4 will be the volume with THE KISS though, so I doubt that 'big drop' will hit until maybe vol 5 (then again, that's the one with eps 9 and 10, both of which were brilliant and beloved by the community). Maybe there will be no drop after all? Smile
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Re:Zero and Macross Delta are riding high.

Guess the hate for Macross Delta is only in the West.
manapear

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:21 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Give it time for clarification or to be redacted. (By another commenter, if not Megiddo; my bets are on LordOink, lol.)

Is Osomatsu a case of larger drops though?

Is there maybe a list that also shows for Love Live and other male audience series? (And perhaps a list for UtaPri and similar shows, I guess.)
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:
3gatsu got beat by everything else though. Seriously, when was the last time Shaft had a series bomb like this?

The first volumes of Sasami-san@Ganbaranai and Gourmet Girl Graffiti did much worse. Luckily, it's an NHK show, so BD/DVD sales have no bearing on whether there will be a second season.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

For volume 2 at least, the drop -if there is one- will certainly be significantly smaller. I already cited the example of LLS v1 and v2, both with event tickets and still a 31% drop. Even if YOI v2 doesn't sell a single copy more (which most definitely won't be the case), the drop would only be of 24%
Samiamiam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

What data have you seen on YoI specifically? It's stalker estimates have been 29.4k for v1, 29.9k v2 and 25.7k (and climbing) for v3. While it's certainly a drop, its smaller than average when comparing to things like Love Live or UtaPri whose 3rd volumes had half the estimate of the first. Osomatsu had a 40k v1 estimate and a 20k v3 estimate. Of course all of those series have big underestimations because they all have big female audiences. (Love Lives 40% female audience gives it about a 30% underestimation while Osomatsu and YoI had 85% underestimations) The second BD (and the first has had crazy stamina still to be frank) and DVD have been 1st in dailes since release. (Except the DVD on sunday but it came back monday) By all accounts it should have a 6k minimum wk2 given its storefront/daily rankings.

Also it should be noted while v1/v2 are two different tickets, they are to the same event. Just one is a day ticket and one is a night ticket.
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Way to go Yuri on Ice!! Very Happy
Samiamiam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Looking at stalker estimates for yuri on ice:
29.4k vol1
29.9k vol2
25.7k vol3 (and climbing)
Which is a drop, but a very small one, especially compared to shows like Love Live and Osomatsu, who had a third volume estimate be half of it's vol1 estimate. It's also doing extremely well on dailies and in store rankings. We'll have to see how long it holds on to it's number 1 spots in DVD and BD dailies over the week but it looks like a 6k second week is minimum. Osomatsu's volume one had a 40k estimate and it's volume 3 had a 20k estimate. You could see Oso and UtaPri and Love Live's giant drops weeks before volume 1 dropped for any of the series. (Note: all stalker estimates are low because every show I've mentioned in this post have heavy female demographics which causes stalker underestimation, but consistent stalker estimation. Even Love Live's half female audience gives it a considerable underestimation.) What data to you have on YoI that points otherwise?
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:46 pm Reply with quote
BlueOla wrote:
Surely, wanting to attend an event related to an anime one loves is natural and not a bad thing? O rather, let me rephrase that - surely, they wouldn't be so desperate to attend the event if it weren't for their love for the actual show?

It's not a stupid event either; it will feature the writer for the series (Kubo Mitsurou) and many of the seiyuu, including the main cast. Japanese fans love those things, hell, I LOVE THOSE THINGS, I really don't think it's weird that they'd want to attend an exclusive event for which one can only get tickets through applying through the sheet that comes with the DVD/BD volumes.

We'll see how volume 3 does and if the sales drop much when their is not event-based incentive though.

PS: Japanese fans don't care that they're overpriced, as proven by the sale numbers lol.

I get what you're saying, but my point was more that they even need to include those a incentives in the first place, as otherwise anime volumes usually don't sell nearly as much. Like, so first volume sales don't usually give a good impression of how many people bought it just for the show, but mostly for the event thing. And the sales end up being really frontloaded, and later volume numbers aren't nearly as good. Maybe I'm not expressing my point well enough, I dunno. I didn't really mean that the events were stupid, that's just my nonchalant and dismissive nature bleeding into my posts. If i could go to an event featuring the staff behind an anime I really liked, I'd be totally willing to buy an overly expensive disc to do so.
musouka

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:54 pm Reply with quote
BlueOla wrote:
Volume 4 will be the volume with THE KISS though, so I doubt that 'big drop' will hit until maybe vol 5 (then again, that's the one with eps 9 and 10, both of which were brilliant and beloved by the community). Maybe there will be no drop after all? Smile

Actual events in series don't seem to have a huge impact on individual volume sales, but here's hoping!
BlueOla

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:07 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
BlueOla wrote:

Actual events in series don't seem to have a huge impact on individual volume sales, but here's hoping!

You may have a point but I feeeeel like it might have an impact here. But yeah, I have no way of knowing, we'll just have to wait and see. xD
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3