• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam The Origin's Loum Arc to End With 2nd Volume in 2018

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Yeah....Fall 2018.
AkaRed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:49 pm Reply with quote
We will celebrate the The colony drop on Sydney ♥ Glorious Zeon ♥
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I haven't even ordered volume four yet man I'm behind. I hope they don't sell out before I get around to it.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
So.. four prewar movies and two Loum movies and... Is that it, or will they keep going with the rest? Don't get me wrong, the Char stuff is awesome, but Origin's take on MSG proper is arguably Gundam at its very best.
Zetabag

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:28 am Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
So.. four prewar movies and two Loum movies and... Is that it, or will they keep going with the rest? Don't get me wrong, the Char stuff is awesome, but Origin's take on MSG proper is arguably Gundam at its very best.

Nothing else at the moment but it is possible for a full adaptation of The Origin to happen in the future. I'm hoping that after the Loum arc Sunrise will announce plans for a TV series to air in 2019, which would be just in time for the 40th anniversary of MSG.
WeskerGriff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:46 am Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:

I think the plan is to animate everything before the original series started, and frankly I hope they continue this approach.

I really loved the Origin, but I loathed Yaz's take on the Battle of A Baoa Qu and the ending of the Origin. A Baoa Qu is one of the most iconic battles in all of anime, and it's been portrayed in several Gundam series (First Gundam, Gundam 0083, Thunderbolt, MS Igloo) and I hated how Yaz changed it from a Federation victory to Zeon defeating itself due to infighting. The way the Origin also handled Kycilia's demise was pretty bizarre as well compare to the anime. But I digress.
MrBonk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:53 am Reply with quote
At this rate it will be finished by 2025.

Strange approach honestly rather than the full on remake the TV series needed based on either Tomino's novels (Which are incredible. I really would do anything to see a good adaptation of those) or TO Comic.

Just adapting the pre-TV show sections would make continuing from the end to the TV series jarring.

I love it either way, I just wish Sunrise wasn't so dumb and would at least allow TRS to distribute the standard edition Blu-rays. I've bought every single TRS Gundam release thus far (Minus the 0079 movies in hopes of the BDs coming out). Except for the LE TO releases. I'm not paying 90-100+$ an episode with untranslated extras. I'd be more than willing to pay 50$ for just the standard release like Japan gets to. And I really don't want to jump through the hoops to import it.

Just like I wish Sunrise would likewise reprint and distribute the Unicorn Bds through TRS again at decent prices. Would rather buy through official channel than second hand. I missed them the first time and have the DVDs.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:39 am Reply with quote
WeskerGriff wrote:
I really loved the Origin, but I loathed Yaz's take on the Battle of A Baoa Qu and the ending of the Origin. A Baoa Qu is one of the most iconic battles in all of anime, and it's been portrayed in several Gundam series (First Gundam, Gundam 0083, Thunderbolt, MS Igloo) and I hated how Yaz changed it from a Federation victory to Zeon defeating itself due to infighting. The way the Origin also handled Kycilia's demise was pretty bizarre as well compare to the anime. But I digress.

Er... but that's how the OYW ended. It was basically a stalemate, with both sides taking heavy losses. In the anime, that's why so much of Zeon's military was able to flee with Axis. It was even worse in the novels, where losses were so heavy the war ended with an Armistice--Zeon never actually surrendered. Instead, Char overthrew the Zabis and reestablished the Republic of Zeon.

A Baoa Qu is still an "iconic battle," but it is not (and never was) an overwhelming Federation victory. The Federation only ever won because Zeon lost its leadership... all of whom were lost due to infighting. It's hardly an invention of Yas'.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1