• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds English-Dubbed Episodes of Gintama

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blankslate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Lightsbane wrote:
Blankslate wrote:
I just got done watching the first episode and...It seems pretty dry to be honest.

Gintama is one of the few anime I recommend just skipping the first episode. Another one would be Tower of Druaga... that episode will make anyone go crazy.

Actually, for Gintama you should probably skip the first two. I didn't and I regret it, because I almost dropped it.

By "first episode" I mean episode 266 (first episode of the dub), and by "it" being dry I meant the dub. I watched up until episode 30 of the sub about a year ago before I gave up. Maybe Gintama's just not for me.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:24 pm Reply with quote
epicwizard wrote:
I find it pretty strange that they skip to episode 226. Why not start at episode 1? Unless if they actually did start at episode 1, but it's just going to be uploaded at a future date.

Nonetheless, I'm actually interested in checking out the dub, but I just got two questions for any Gintama fan. Since I'm new to the series, should I start at episode 226 or episode 1? Does episodes 226-278 have any references to older episodes that I just wouldn't get unless if I watch the older episodes?

You should always start at episode one of the first series. Skipping hundreds of episodes is never a good idea
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Always great to hear the Ocean cast again.
Nakurawari

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Currently watching the first dubbed episode, and it's really not bad. Sugita could never be replaced for me, but this is definitely watchable so far.
Pikagreg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Never really gave Gintama a chance (Only watched the first episode) though watched the first few episodes of the dub and am impressed with the cast. Seems like the type of show you can jump right into also.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Pikagreg wrote:
Seems like the type of show you can jump right into also.

Somewhat, that will come back to bite you later on.

The dub isn't bad. Nice to see Ocean again and hope to see them more again. I watched the gender swap episode and hearing Scott as Male Kagura was a treat. One complaint would be the dub is perhaps too literal at times. They're making clear Japanese culture references and its jarring comparing to hearing the Japanese VAs say it.
Vannil

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Pikagreg wrote:
Never really gave Gintama a chance (Only watched the first episode) though watched the first few episodes of the dub and am impressed with the cast. Seems like the type of show you can jump right into also.

Kinda sorta, while you may be lost when it comes to certain character relationships, its is pretty easy to jump in to. I took the scenic route and have spent over a year and half off and on catching up and overall, its pretty good. Its hard to compare Gintama to another show because, really, Gintama is Ginatama it doesn't have much to compare to. well, except sket dance and they (Sket Dance and Gintama) did a 2 episode (1 for each respective series) crossover running with that joke alone.
Gemnist

I guess the reason they started so late (something I was fearing) was because the sub of the previous episodes are rather old, so it's either expensive to put in new materials or those materials are now lost. That's why Funimation's rescues, and the shows they license that came out in or before 2011 are released sub-only (poor Nichijou). Given this is Ocean's dub, however, I'm assuming they went ahead and dubbed the rest.
Pikagreg

I mean I am sure there will be characters and references to older episodes but it seems like I can get away with watching what is out for now.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:51 pm Reply with quote
jtiskool305 wrote:
Neither, start at episode 3 and keep going no matter if one episode isn't to your fancy. It's worth it, a stranger like me promises that.

Alright, I'll start at episode 3. Thanks for the advice! Smile

LordOink wrote:
You should always start at episode one of the first series. Skipping hundreds of episodes is never a good idea

Yeah, I can see why. The only series you can get away with skipping hundreds of episodes are episodic ones like Doraemon or Anpanman.
jtiskool305

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Pikagreg wrote:
I mean I am sure there will be characters and references to older episodes but it seems like I can get away with watching what is out for now.

Hey man, that's definitely up to you. I will say that some of my personal favorite moments of Gintama are in the 1st two seasons. It's really cool that the dub is igniting some interest in this awesome series though Smile
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Sentai might still have claim over the first 51 episodes, though I don't know why they'd start so far in.
Kurohei

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Funny, I was talking about how I wish they'd get the ADV actors back for this, unless it's the ocean group, because I miss those guys.

I've only seen on episode and Im satisfied. Really hoping they go back to season 1 and onwards.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Crunchyroll added episodes 226-278 of the Gintama anime with an English dub on Wednesday.

It's 266-278. Big difference between 13 dubbed episodes uploaded at once and 53 at once.
SNaGem

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I think the dub is pretty solid, though not game-changing. For what it's worth, churning out a fairly solid dub for Gintama of all things is a feat in and of itself. And for those comparing it to the seiyuus, while I do also love the original Japanese voice acting, bear in mind that by the time this season came out, the original actors had been working on Gintama for almost a decade. Ocean just dubbed it now, and the fact that they have something of (I would dare to say) pretty good quality is rather impressive.

I dunno why they're starting with Season 3 though, it makes little sense. Only the small intersection of Gintama fans and dub fans would watch this in earnest. It's not like when Funi took over One Piece and started from Skypeia since they were (1) on TV and (2) picking up where 4Kids left off. So I dunno if this'll work out.

At the very least, if they continue to dub the show, they have the added benefit of future-proofing themselves from making mistakes in translation and whatnot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5