• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Anime References in American Cartoons

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:03 pm Reply with quote
DC continued to use the good old Akita staff until at least 2012, with the chase scene in Return of the Joker being THE standout. The TAS universe also had multiple anime homages:

Last edited by residentgrigo on Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:22 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ajc228

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:22 pm Reply with quote
While The Boondocks is certainly inspired by anime on an aesthetic level; it's a bit of a stretch to say it was referencing Samurai Champloo. It was directly referencing the classic Zatoichi the blind samurai film series.
Splitter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Ajc228 wrote:
While The Boondocks is certainly inspired by anime on an aesthetic level; it's a bit of a stretch to say it was referencing Samurai Champloo. It was directly referencing the classic Zatoichi the blind samurai film series.

The opening credits on the other hand...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGk6jniRaN4
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Someone forgot about the Yu-Gi-Oh! hairdo from Kids Next Door.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:34 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
How about five anime references all at once?

Definitely my favorite anime reference in American cartoons.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:03 am Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
Which begs the question as to why LWA is even on the list.

It doesn't beg the question. That makes no sense. It raises or invites the question. (It would also raise/invite the question of why LWA is even on the list, not "as to".)

I'm watching everything on the list except Gintama (haven't seen the previous series), and with the addition of Kirakira Precure a la mode, but since the poll just asks what I'm watching and only lets me select five choices, I don't see a point in responding to it.
Magigreen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:24 am Reply with quote
Anyone else want to mention that the duck mecha in Regular Show is quite clearly Voltron/Go Lion?
Kurohei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:26 am Reply with quote
Gravity Falls also had a few call outs.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:45 am Reply with quote
Don't forgot that Kaneda bike from "Akira" that appeared in The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:53 am Reply with quote
The Boondocks picture looks more like Afro Samurai with the headband and the afro.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:51 am Reply with quote
MoonPhase1 wrote:
The Boondocks picture looks more like Afro Samurai with the headband and the afro.

I was waiting for someone to note that. Also, referencing Afro Samurai seems more in line with MacGruder's MO.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:34 pm Reply with quote
GuruBuckaroo wrote:
Gravity Falls is conspicuous in its absence from this list. Alex Hirsch has pretty much come out and said "If you think you just saw an anime reference, you probably did." Was a terrible shame it only got two seasons, but he got to tell the story he wanted to, so I can be OK with that.

The story he wanted to tell would've only been two seasons anyway--Disney requested a third season, but he turned it down because hedidn't want to drag the story out.

Agent355 wrote:
I didn't vote in last week's poll because I only saw Kubo & The Two Strings from the nominations, and there was something about the movie that really bugged me--specifically, it's strange but repeated association between blindness and evil. I wish I could have enjoyed it more, but that and it's rushed/underdeveloped plot elements bothered me too much. It had a really great cover of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" sung by Regina Spektor with shamisen music https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8hUOKjy-9-o

This week's list could have been much, much longer. It doesn't mention various cartoons inspired by anime, such as Teen Titans (remember, with PuffyAmi Yumi singing the theme song--who had their own, brief, show on Cartoon Network?). Actually, there are tons more American cartoons that reference anime. Some we'd like to forget (Kappa Mikey, Drawn Together), some few remember, but not for lack of quality (Sym-Bionic Titan), and some considered modern classics (Avatar: The Last Bender, Legend of Korra, the recent Star Vs. The Forces of Evil and the new Voltron). I'd argue that even the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles had, if not anime, tons of Japanese culture & martial arts movie reference that it incorporated anime references as well in later incarnations.

I don't think Kubo and the Two Strings was suggesting that blind = evil. Rather, it seems that sight is considered a hindrance in the moon kingdom. Bear in mind that the only people of the moon kingdom we see are the Moon King and his daughters. Nah, what bugged me was that the Moon King was defeated by spoiler[Kubo and the other villagers brainwashing him into becoming good]. Nevertheless, I really like the folktale kind of feel to it, and I think it was written intentionally in a made-up-as-it-went way to give it that feel (though not entirely so--there are tons of visual foreshadowing).

I never saw Kappa Mikey, but I do remember it having a good-sized fanbase when it aired and was something of a cult show (not as big as Kids Next Door, but still bigger than Sanjay and Craig). Drawn Together was pretty good when it was new, but for each passing season, they relied more on shock humor and mean-spiritedness. I think someone on the writing team had issues, because the more people complained on sites like TV.com that the show was going too far and was no longer funny, the more intense it became.

Kurohei wrote:
Gravity Falls also had a few call outs.

I wonder if that's a jab at some of their fellow Hollywood people (well, Burbank) who don't know what anime is. That was how I felt sometimes.
Cetais

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:27 pm Reply with quote
[quote="jymmy"]
ultimatehaki wrote:
Which begs the question as to why LWA is even on the list.
It's an anime airing this season. That's it.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I feel like it's a worthwhile reminder that the Pokemon TV series started in 1997. Its impact on Western culture plus the effect of the Internet and globalization created a tolerance/acceptance for anime, and now we can fully see the effects of that on display with each new series.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, considering that Japan produces 60% of the animation in the world I am actually surprised by how little Western and specially American animation references Japanese animation: thing is that no matter how much Japenese animation has impacted that lifes of North American animators it hasn't the same impact on casual viewers of Western animation.

Now, to talk about "tolerance" and "acceptance" in regards to foreign art shows how little globalization has impacted culture vis a vis the economy: Japanese and Korean cars are much, much more "accepted" in the US than Japanese and Korean pop culture are.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4