• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: PS4 Save Editor Software Allows Editing of Game Save Files

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:10 am Reply with quote
Cool, a 2017 Game Genie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:06 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Cool, a 2017 Game Genie.

I was thinking much the same thing! The practice of entering daunting hexadecimal strings fell out of favour a generation ago. Today's intrepid cheaters seem to use various rehashing tools to manipulate save data instead, a sign of progress if ever there was one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:30 pm Reply with quote
SageModeKakarot wrote:
if you can't play a game without cheating then you shouldn't be playing it

Well they're fun to mess around with if anything. In some unique cases, it allows you to experiment with content that isn't normally available or things that never got implemented in the final product (but just happen to be in the system files for the sake of stability).
CrescentWolf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Pretty cool as long as it can't be used for multiplayer.

I used to love using my game genie and gameshark to do crazy stuff with games and get more life out of them. San Andreas on PS2 comes to mind, and of course the "SKYWALKER" code for Super Mario Bros. 3 was always fun to mess with.

Sadly those days are gone it seems.
Xavon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Ah, the good old days of hacking FFVI, to replace 'Item' with more useful skills, and starting characters with 5 Paladin shields equipped to gain Ultima in the first 20 fights
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Well...As long as people limit the Save Editor to only single-player, offline use, I don't see it being too much of a problem...
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:10 am Reply with quote
I can see a bunch of game competitions adding rules to prevent people from using save data modified by this thing, as well as at least one developer putting in additional checks for hacks, like with Pokémon. This device could be big trouble for these competitions.

Kevelinu wrote:
Anyway, I expected a TOOL like this to cost a few bucks, but when I saw the pricetag I thought they are completely nuts. How can they charge the same as a full price title for a TOOL..?

Well, some people will pay whatever it takes to get an edge over other people. Or so they don't have to wait.

Of course, I'm in a hobby where everything costs an order of magnitude more than video games, so to me, $70 isn't that big of a deal. Not that I'll use anything like this though.

SageModeKakarot wrote:
so in other words, it's a cheat device, thanks but no thanks

if you can't play a game without cheating then you shouldn't be playing it

There are reasons to use this device besides making a game easier, which includes making the game silly-looking, eliminating grinding, or to get a competitive edge over other people in multiplayer.

Besides obtaining impossible or statistically unlikely weapons, items, characters, combinations thereof, or what have you, this could also open the doors for new types of griefing, which would be very bad. Worst case scenario is that a player does something that corrupts other people's games rendering them unplayable, which is what happened with Splatoon when a hacker played online using an unobtainable character: The game loads the last two dozen opponents or so and puts their avatars in the lobby. This obtainable character is incomplete, with assets for online matches but not for the lobby. So when these people return to the lobby, the game will crash trying to load the nonexistent lobby data, and the same for every subsequent time they start up the game (as it'll try to access this data again) until they delete their game save. (Said hacker was quickly identified and banned indefinitely, but the incident scared a lot of players.)
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:07 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I can see a bunch of game competitions adding rules to prevent people from using save data modified by this thing, as well as at least one developer putting in additional checks for hacks, like with Pokémon.

Alas, those extra rules won't have much power if they have little to no enforcement. Hence the Pokémon VGC has been bogged down by an abundance of rule-breakers with virtually no repercussion for years on end.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Alas, those extra rules won't have much power if they have little to no enforcement. Hence the Pokémon VGC has been bogged down by an abundance of rule-breakers with virtually no repercussion for years on end.

I don't know if reinforcement is even possible in some of these cases. The people who make the Pokémon games and the people who manipulate their data are in an arms race, with Game Freak creating more measures to either prevent or identify hacked Pokémon and the hackers finding ways to circumvent that.

(Any cheating that goes on in the VGCs is nothing compared to the card game though.)
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:41 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Cool, a 2017 Game Genie.

You are really making some of us show our age with that line.
Running Wild

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:58 pm Reply with quote
A device like this would also be extremely handy for speedrunners.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2