• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Long Riders! Episodes 1-10 Streaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulo27

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:54 am Reply with quote
I think my biggest issue with the little I watched from this was that it felt like it really wanted me to learn about the things it was showing and while that's fine at times, it felt like a lecture. I don't watch many sports anime but usually when I try one I don't particularly care what the sport is about, just what the show does around the sport, how the character develop with it, etc.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Any chance at a Scorching Ping Pong Girls review ANN? I found that vastly more entertaining than Long Riders and is a much better example of a cute girls/sports show than the various bike ones that have been airing.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:13 pm Reply with quote
If not for the production delays this had the potential to be really good instead it ended up feeling both rushed and stalled. With the obvious off model, character designs placed in front of the gorgeous backgrounds making it look like the effort was going all into one aspect of the series.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I treated this anime as one of those so-called "healing" anime that you watch simply to relax from the vexing world. It was by no means a great title, but I did find it soothing. Truth be told, you can pretty much get me to watch anything with girls interested in stuff. Cycling? Sure, why not. I do find this season's High School Cycling Club show more dynamic, though.
fathergoat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:51 pm Reply with quote
It had the potential to be cute and fun but mostly came off as a 20min cycling PSA. I kept expecting the "The More You Know" logo to show up at the end of an episode.
WingKing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm starting to wonder how anyone still trusts Actas with lead animation production for TV shows. This was the fourth TV series in a row where they've been the main animation studio and one or more of their episodes ended up getting delayed or pulled (Regalia, Garupan, and Moetan being the previous three). That's not a very good track record.
raics

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Barring the animation, it was decent enough to hold me to the end.

The characters are simple but shows like these don't bank on character development anyway and I prefer a lack of obvious defining traits than seeing one tacked on every character. Especially in this show where the girls don't really know each other for a long time, they ride together, snack and sometimes hang out but that's about it, the MC wouldn't know if any of the other three girls collects plushies in her spare time or has family troubles because they just aren't close enough. Sure, it's lazy writing but one that has the good fortune of fitting the bill more than not.

There's one more point in the review that strikes me odd. The way I see it it's perfectly plausible for an adept at something to forget how much they sucked themselves at the beginning, especially if they never before had the chance to coach a total beginner. It can be hard to put yourself back in those shoes and accept that someone can't pull off at all something you're doing with zero effort. It's just riding a bike, you aren't doing backflips while juggling chainsaws.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:51 am Reply with quote
I actually kind of liked it.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this show more than this season's girls bicycling club anime, for what its worth.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1