• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:10 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Shaterri wrote:
I'm not sure how well Wolf's Rain has aged. The music is still amazing, of course (my second-favorite Kanno work) and some of the set pieces are excellent, but there's a lot of muddiness in the plot and the series really starts to sag under its own weight after a while.

Does it have anything to do with the record four clip shows in a row? Chobits had three for its 26 episodes but they were spaced out at least

I myself list Wolf's Rain as my second favorite show I'll never watch again.... because of the four OVA episodes. If you've seen them, you know why.

And Nichijou? I love Kyoto Animation and I love Nichijou but my love of the former means I don't buy anything I can't turn off the subtitles which means no sub BDs... well, in general but specifically for Kyo Ani and SHAFT. Now the set has DVDs and going by the price, Funimation's only selling the DVDs and they're throwing in the BDS for free... there has to be a story behind this licensing, somebody thinks it's a throwaway and I cant tell at which end it is... It's already a bestseller as it's cracked Amazon's top ten anime, the closest thing we get to actual numbers in this medium.

If it's Kyoto Animation and they're embarrassed by what they made then I can get it because it's their problem. "We won't give you any materials... in fact, if you want [such and such] series, you have to license this one. Just dump it somewhere at some point."

If it's Funimation then that's our problem. Simuldub after Simuldub made of unknown quality and popularity blindly and they pass on this? I find it hard enough to watch most of them, I wouldn't want to buy them.

And on top of that, it's not streaming. Ok, anime community at large... WTF?

Nichijou was on Crunchyroll for the longest so if you haven't seen it now you probably weren't going to.

I still say that Nichijou is one of those shows that doesn't have to be dubbed to still be enjoyed. That and a few of the jokes rely on the Japanese language anyway and would get lost in translation.

As for why it didn't get dubbed Funimation seems to be going down the line and getting licenses for shows that they did a survey for a few years ago. Nichijou was on that list, as were Good Luck Ninomiya-kun and a few others. They probably don't see much money in dubbing all of them.
explosionforgov

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I've considered sending in photos of my anime collection, but because it's fairly small (only a few DVD's, one VHS, a couple of shelves of manga mixed in with my Western comics, a few small toys and plushies, and a couple posters I still need to put up), I'm not sure how interesting it would be to people. But then again, I often see a few non-anime comics and DVD's mixed in with almost everyone's collections, so I may be worrying for nothing.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:56 pm Reply with quote
explosionforgov wrote:
I've considered sending in photos of my anime collection, but because it's fairly small

Go for it!
scineram

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:49 am Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
Kawai Complex was created by Miyahara Ruri, mangaka of Love Lab. I've heard that was one reason why Kawai got a plot of positive attention when it first debuted.

Interesting. Because Love Lab was epic. Kawaiso not so much. I still dream of a Love Lab sequel.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:38 am Reply with quote
...I like Gundam F91. I can't say it's good (with it being initially planned for a TV series and all), and I also don't think it's aged well, but I really like it for sentimental reasons. You might like it, but you'll like it purely for subjective reasons too.

Damn. I really would like to own Turn A's BD though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2