• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - A Love Like Winter

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calculusman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:58 am Reply with quote
hmm....I smell rumbling hearts review lol. Though I don't have a picture of my super-awesome anime collection (consisting of 4 movies and, like, 9 series lmao - ok, I'm picky with the anime I buy. I rent a lot.)
Gauss

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Shelf Life looks better now, the bars on the left are a really clever way of showing where a review begins and ends. You might consider limiting it to two alternating colors though. It looks slightly unprofessionall when it's several colors and the order seems to be random. Or are the colors supposed to be indicate how much you liked the anime?

You are also doing a good job of writing the reviews themselves. It isn't merely a good points/bad points review but does make your own opinion clear while at the same time suggesting who it might appeal to or push away.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:
Bamboo, would you mind if I talked about an upcoming release rather than a recent one?

Not at all. As long as there is actually a DVD release attached to it, and you know when it streets, it's fine.
I hope this won't turn into a downloader's boasting section. We don't need to give them yet another reason.

Considering what I want to review streets in under a month, I don't think you have to worry.

Besides, I'm a 3rd-year college student. I can write a well-constructed paragraph.
halfadeckshort

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Gauss wrote:
Or are the colors supposed to be indicate how much you liked the anime?

The colors appear to correspond with the sections (shelf worthy, etc.), and match the color of the text used in the navigation menu at the top of the article. I think that the bars set off the review text nicely, and make the column easier to follow.
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:52 am Reply with quote
Gah, the 405 is the bane of my existence. I have to take it to work in Santa Monica a couple times a week and traffic just about murders me on the way home. Seriously. I feel can feel myself getting older and sloooowly approaching death while sitting idly in traffic.

halfadeckshort wrote:
The colors appear to correspond with the sections (shelf worthy, etc.), and match the color of the text used in the navigation menu at the top of the article.

Woah, I didn't even notice that. Not knowing the sections didn't bother me, though. I like reading a review without having the pre-conceived categorization in mind. It just keeps me a little more open, which is nice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SnowStar_7*

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:23 am Reply with quote
*shakes fist at Paradise Kiss* Should I get you or not?

Does of you have seen the series: You know how they see "If you like this series, you will like this one" well in your opinon what would be the series that fits this blank "If you like __________, you will probably like Paradise Kiss".
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:33 am Reply with quote
SnowStar_7* wrote:
*shakes fist at Paradise Kiss* Should I get you or not?

Does of you have seen the series: You know how they see "If you like this series, you will like this one" well in your opinon what would be the series that fits this blank "If you like __________, you will probably like Paradise Kiss".

Honestly, I would say "If you like fashion, you will probably like Paradise Kiss."

I can't think of any series that really goes well with Paradise Kiss, because I personally can't think of a series like it. Even though I love Aizawa's NANA and a large bit of shoujo manga and anime I've been a part of, I just can't stay interested in Paradise Kiss, and neither the anime nor the manga really did anything for me, and all I can suspect is it being the fashion premise that just tunes me out. But who knows...it may not be.
Nermal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Ahhh, I just got my ParaKiss vol. 1+box in the mail today, and I must say I haven't been this excited in a while. I can't really think of a series that is similar either, but I would say if you like stylish shoujo drama/pretty people you'd like this. Great music too.
roujin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:27 pm Reply with quote
paradise kiss vol. 1 is coming in tomorrow and I'm very excited. I'm not a big fan of shoujo things in general but something about the cover of it just kind of made me want to see it a lot. The colors and the placement of the characters are spot on and it gave me this feeling that I should not pass up Paradise Kiss. Very Happy
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:
Bamboo, would you mind if I talked about an upcoming release rather than a recent one?

Not at all. As long as there is actually a DVD release attached to it, and you know when it streets, it's fine.
I hope this won't turn into a downloader's boasting section. We don't need to give them yet another reason.

Considering what I want to review streets in under a month, I don't think you have to worry.

Besides, I'm a 3rd-year college student. I can write a well-constructed paragraph.
That I have no doubt. It's what you might be writing about that concerns me, especially if it is something that hasn't been "streeted" yet no matter how close that it may be. Now if you have been given a preview disc by the licence holder before release date, that is a different kettle of fish. But I don't want to see a compitition to be the first to review a title hours after the first broadcast happens in Japan, type of thing, is all.
djarch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:37 am Reply with quote
I know this is just a minor technicality, but the Lupin the III "Final Haul" movie pack is not on 3 discs, but rather 5 movies, each on it's disc, in 3 cases.

It was that way in the first movie pack, and it's the same way for this one... but I'm just being picky ...
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I kinda liked the "classic" layout better, but would be tolerant of change if there was even just a floater in the margin that said which section I was reading and there was a margin between pictures and text (and the Lupin box guy thought HE was picky.)

As for the pre-street reviews, the wonderful thing about pre-orders is they sometimes misjudge the transit time and volumes show up early.

Question on submission though, for those of us where it will take more than one photo to get the whole collection, would you prefer archives (ZIP) or ham-fisted panoramic merge jobs?
jgreen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:25 pm Reply with quote
How recent does "recent release" mean? I've been watching "Mermaid Forest" lately, which came out late '05/early '06 with a box set this past August. Is that "recent" enough?

Also, I think it's a public service to point out to anyone thinking about getting Elfen Lied or FMP: Fumoffu after this column that Right Stuf has both thinpaks on sale for 50% off through Sunday. Very Happy I was on the fence about Elfen Lied, but after this review, I'll probably pick it up...sounds right up my alley.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
roujin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:33 pm Reply with quote
if it wasn't for this column, paradise kiss would've probably passed me by. I am so glad that I read this column. I think it's in the running to be one my favorite releases of this year.
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Paradise Kiss is awesome! I bought the collectors box including the dvd vol.1, the voice acting is pretty good. Yukari is such a lovable character , the way she speaks is so casual. Her and George are like the perfect couple. AWESOME anime! can't wait for vol2 to be released.Its sad that i haven't read the manga yet, i missed out on alot. Crying or Very sad but yeah Very Happy atleast i saw the anime. Laterz people. Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4