• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Irregular at Magic High School Film Reveals June 17 Opening, New Visual

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:55 am Reply with quote
It is harem, a show can have multiple genres, Index is also a harem, but its more heavily focused on Sci Fi and fantasy.

Tatsuya has at least Miyuki, Honoka, Mayumi, Lina, and maybe Shizuka, his younger cousin.

SAO is terrible, luckily enough the same author does Accel World which is actually good so he gets a pass.

Also its based on a light novel that is currently 20 plus volumes long, of course it gets into the siblings background and more depth. This is the problem with LN adaptations, they can't be crammed into 13 or even 26 episodes, they need to run their full course probably over a few hundred episodes, but with the current structure of anime 13 ep, pass fail, maybe second season, a lot of these ln adaptions get unfair criticism.

Its honestly like trying to summarize the contents an online encyclopaedia into one paragraph on one page.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:45 am Reply with quote
zztop wrote:

spoiler[In future volumes, it's revealed that despite being siblings, Miyuki has no genetic similarities to Tatsuya at all. The Yotsubas genetically modified her from young to further imcrease her magic powers. Thus, the genetic problems from incest will not occur and they both can safely have a child together. This is promoted by the Yotsuba head, who sees this as a golden opportunity to cross two powerful sets of magic genes together to breed stronger magicians for their family's glory.]

...I, uh, I kinda had a feeling that he would do something like this, but I really didn't expect that it would actually happen. Shocked

Thanks for the spoilers, by the way.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:05 pm Reply with quote
It often seems like the folks who dislike a show are the ones most interested in commenting on articles about it. Neutral

Personally, I really liked this show, and I really liked SAO. I thought that they both were fantastic, and I hope that this gets a second season like SAO did (and that SAO gets a third), but it's good that we're at least getting movies for both, and I'll definitely buy them when they finally come out here.

Regardless though, I'm quite grateful that Yen Press is releasing the novels for both series. Because of that, we actually stand a chance of getting their full stories, and since IaMHS and SAO are both based on light novel series that are ongoing and not short, the odds of them actually being fully adapted aren't good. Too few series get adapted beyond a couple of seasons, leaving those of us who don't read Japanese in the dark.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2