• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: BPO Publishes Viewer Complaint About Scum's Wish Kiss Scene

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:02 pm Reply with quote
^Sourcing being as it may, I can't really think of any other scene from an anime that aired last month that could be qualified as an extreme kiss scene with high school students. It seems to be a reasonable supposition to be an episode of Scum's wish.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:05 pm Reply with quote
As I said, I'm pretty sure the complaint is about Scum's Wish, but regardless, a story - even one tagged as Interest as opposed to News - probably shouldn't be using "some Internet users believe" as an actual source. Jes' sayin'.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Well its not like they are the only source cited in the article. The BPO statement is linked and people can come to their own conclusion, though no one has come to any other conclusion. Given their practice of not naming the show in question, definitive identification of the show is impossible so the only sources that can be cited are internet users. Maybe you could be more equivocal in the headline but that would seem a bit credulous. I don't think it is unreasonable in this situation to do what they have here, though generally one should get more definitive sources where such are available and the supposition more questionable.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:25 pm Reply with quote
zrnzie500 - I have it on good authority that "some internet users believe" that you are wrong! Wink
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Seems like some people just can't find the TV remote to change the channel when they see something they don't like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:35 pm Reply with quote
As I stated, such sources are generally not good practice but given the lack of definitive sources, the reasonableness of the supposition, and there being no real harm in any case, I believe it is reasonable in this case and the prior ones. I don't know that have anything else to add to this conversation so I will leave it at that.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:16 pm Reply with quote
These complainers entertain me.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Abolish the BPO they are a nuisance and the irresponsible parents are even worse, well this is the country where some really irresponsible parents throw their grade school aged kids into the lions den called the idol industry.

Is it that tall of an order to be the parent? It's just as bad as in the US.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Abolish the BPO they are a nuisance and the irresponsible parents are even worse, well this is the country where some really irresponsible parents throw their grade school aged kids into the lions den called the idol industry.

Is it that tall of an order to be the parent? It's just as bad as in the US.

Irresponsible because they have a different opinion than you? Even if we don't share in their assessments of these anime, them criticizing is very much a thing a responsible parent does.

And to those who think turning off the TV is such an easy thing? We were all kids once and always went out of our way to do things we know our parents would not approve of. That's why some parents take things to what we would call "being excessive". Which is what these parents are obviously doing, they have the belief that it's being harmful not only to their children but other children. It's up the the consensus of society to determine if they are in the right or in the wrong.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:33 pm Reply with quote
^Generally speaking, turning off the TV is easier said than done as you say, but we're talking about a show that airs at 1 am. If the content is a concern, controlling one's kid's access to those programs is easier to implement, either through rules or parental controls, and justify to the kid (Whatever the content, it is difficult to argue a kid of an age where the content complained about would be a concern should be allowed to be up that late for long periods of time aside from extenuating circumstances). For that reason, these complaints seem much more salient when it is about daytime anime when kids could see content inadvertently and controls would be less desirable to apply.

I have no issue with them making complaints and having an organization to do so, even if I don't usually agree with the content of those complaints. I don't like what they have to say but they ought to be allowed to say it. It becomes an issue when they seek to control not just what kids see, but what everyone sees. Perhaps during daytime/prime time hours this is reasonable to some extent, but for late night anime, I don't think there is a serious concern about content being harmful to kids in practice if parents do their due diligence, putting aside the question of whether it is actually harmful in the first place. It seems less like reasonable concern for children's well-being and more like overbearing prudishness.

But I am not outraged by their complaints, disagreeable though they may be, because aside from shows aimed at younger children (where such concerns about content are most salient and reasonable) like PriPara, the content creators' response has been essentially "Yeah, yeah. Whatever. Who cares?" which I think is the correct response. Let them complain, hear them out, and especially for late night anime, don't change a thing (almost always). That seems to me a more effective way to stick it to such prudes than meeting their outrage with outrage or silencing.
G_Spark233

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:07 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Quote:
The complaint does not identify the anime, but some Internet users believe it refers to an episode of Scum's Wish that was broadcast in January.

Well, okay then - if that's what "some Internet users believe" then I'm sold!

There isn't any other real possibilities unless it's an old show. Which is unlikely.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:04 am Reply with quote
My first thought was only in Japan would people complain about a kissing scene, just because the fear of any sort of PDA seems to be so extreme there. But then I realized that there are ridiculously prudish people here too, who think that you shouldn't kiss until you're married and similarly ridiculous things. And all it takes is one dumbass. I hope more anime show people kissing on screen. We need more legitimate sexual intimacy, as far as I'm concerned.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:19 am Reply with quote
It wasn't really just kissing, though. Or at least I hope what these people are complaining about isn't the kissing per se, because that scene went quite further.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:07 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
That's because some people or some cultures out there are totally different from what you may think. There are a lot of belief out there that discourages kids or minor from seeing kissing scenes and as foolish as you've might think of it, these belief had happened from a long time ago and aren't going to be abolish anytime soon. I'm not one person to encourage the disclosure of sexual action because I'm not particularly sensitive to such things but there are others out there that think so, and that's totally understandable. They aren't so much of a dumbass but rather than being someone with teachings that you aren't familiar with, and to immediately considers that others with such thought should probably be out of the picture is nonetheless not admirable. With that said, those parents that complained about excessive materials in late night shows ought to loosen up a bit.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:12 am Reply with quote
This may be out there, but I think GL/BL romance scenes (you know, the steamy kind) often can be more risque than a straight couple doing it, depending on the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3