• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, February 6-12

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:28 am Reply with quote
iamtooawesome wrote:
#1 LL! Sunshine, #2 Yuri On Ice, and #3 Utapri domination.
I have to agree that these 3 are making the BRD and DVD charts more lively compared to previous charts. I just read the article about the Avex Ban it was so sadenning, I wonder how it'll affect the future sales of YOI? I wont be surprise if it dropped hard.

It's not going to drop hard because Oricon only reports domestic sales, so a dip in foreign sales won't be reflected on the sales numbers. The only difference is that people who were going to import it will probably use a proxy service anyway
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:55 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
iamtooawesome wrote:
#1 LL! Sunshine, #2 Yuri On Ice, and #3 Utapri domination.
I have to agree that these 3 are making the BRD and DVD charts more lively compared to previous charts. I just read the article about the Avex Ban it was so sadenning, I wonder how it'll affect the future sales of YOI? I wont be surprise if it dropped hard.

It's not going to drop hard because Oricon only reports domestic sales, so a dip in foreign sales won't be reflected on the sales numbers. The only difference is that people who were going to import it will probably use a proxy service anyway

I don't know how many people will actually resort to using a proxy. It'll add about 30%-50% more onto the cost of the product, in the end, when you combine EMS shipping with the proxy fee, which is simply not feasible for a lot of people. I can't afford to buy the rest of the series myself, with that price increase, so I'm dropping out. $60 per volume across 6-7 volumes is one thing, $90-$100 per volume, and adding about 3 extra weeks for the shipping of each volume is an entirely different story.
But yeah, you're right that this will not affect the Oricon charts at all.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:08 pm Reply with quote
How does Oricon determine whether a sale is foreign or domestic? Do they have access to shipping addresses of everyone who buys discs on Amazon.jp?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:24 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

I don't know how many people will actually resort to using a proxy. It'll add about 30%-50% more onto the cost of the product, in the end, when you combine EMS shipping with the proxy fee, which is simply not feasible for a lot of people. I can't afford to buy the rest of the series myself, with that price increase, so I'm dropping out. $60 per volume across 6-7 volumes is one thing, $90-$100 per volume, and adding about 3 extra weeks for the shipping of each volume is an entirely different story.
But yeah, you're right that this will not affect the Oricon charts at all.

I've never really used a proxy service but does it really add that much to the cost? I briefly checked on White Rabbit a few months ago out of curiosity and don't remember it being that outlandishly expensive
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:06 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

I've never really used a proxy service but does it really add that much to the cost? I briefly checked on White Rabbit a few months ago out of curiosity and don't remember it being that outlandishly expensive

The biggest issue I always run into is the price difference between Amazon's Global Priority shipping through DHL(which is 1200yen for the first item, and 300yen for each additional item. Totally reasonable and I love it!), and EMS shipping through the Japan Post(which is by weight, and almost always costs me at least 2500yen for a single volume, and if I'm getting a larger item like a box set, or packing a few volumes together, it ranges from 5000yen to as much as 11300yen[both F/Z box sets with some JP exclusives like the posters]). Unfortunately, if you aren't shipping with Amazon, you are pretty much forced to go EMS, or choose the super slow uninsured shipping which is still more than Amazon and you could potentially wait as long as 3 months. On top of that you do still have to pay for the domestic shipping to the proxy warehouse, and you will typically have a 10% proxy fee that goes to the company. All in all, for a 6000yen volume, plus the 600 for the proxy company, 300 for standard domestic shipping, and 2500 for EMS for one volume, it will usually run about 9400yen or so.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2