• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Dragon Girls to Set Your Heart Aflame

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
While they never amassed the same following as catgirls, it wasn't too long ago that dragon girls reigned alongside them, from '90s anime on into the present day!

Aren't dragons descended from cats, anyway, at least when it comes to Dungeons and Dragons lore? (Not sure how I know that, but whatever.)
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:35 am Reply with quote
^And then there's Fredrica from Chaika - The Coffin Princess (from the author of Scrapped Princess) who is both a cat girl and a dragon girl.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:07 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
^And then there's Fredrica from Chaika - The Coffin Princess (from the author of Scrapped Princess) who is both a cat girl and a dragon girl.

Oh you mean best girl that felt like a glaring omission from the list but no accounting for taste I guess.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Needs more Dragonaut the Resonance.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Little Witch Academia in the top 5 shows that piracy is still prevalent. I too want to watch that show, but I rather wait on Netflix; they will most likely dub it as well.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:43 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Aren't dragons descended from cats, anyway, at least when it comes to Dungeons and Dragons lore?

Considering there is a dragon girl named 'Mink' in this week's article, I'd say that is quite a contestable matter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
consignia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I maybe misremembering, certainly as it was an inconsequential show, but wasn't the whole thing about Tear that she wasn't a Dragon, she just thought she was one due to her upbringing?
Random 21

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:11 pm Reply with quote
In cases like this I don't get angry at people who resort to piracy to watch shows like LWA, I don't think that's fair, I shift the blame solely to Netflix who could easily simulcast the shows instead of just sitting on them to fit with their pre-existent binge model.

Very happy to see Kobayashi and Rakugo doing well, although I do wish Scum's Wish was at least a little higher. Those three are the easy standouts of this season.
albanian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Ah yes. Dragon Half. Mink, who has a desperate crush on Dick Saucer, who is in turn a fully-fledged dragon slayer dedicated to exterminating Mink and her ilk. High jinks ensue. Fond memories.

(I really must find my old VHS tape and watch it again - if only to hear once more the hilariously manic parody of the Allegro con brio from Beethoven's 7th Symphony. Who says culture is dead?)
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to be that guy and ask, "What about six dragon guys that set your heart ablaze?", though in my case they don't assume a human form. They're all dragon, all the time. XD
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I know it's an anime thing to just have what TV Tropes calls "Little Bit Beastly," but I guess I'm more used to furry artwork and was hoping to find at least one example of full anthropomorphization. Anthro dragons are pretty popular in the furry fandom, though unlike the other popular species, I don't think there's ever been a wide-release work of fiction with an anthro dragon girl in it.

Quote:
It's predominantly a gag show featuring the red-haired half-dragon girl Mink going on a quest in her 90s-era chain-mail bikini to see the most ridiculous-sounding idol, Dick Saucer.

I remember Dragon Half! I eventually found it in the bargain bins at Fry's. I was there to buy something else though, so I didn't pick it up. If anyone every asks what it's about, never ever use that sentence or they'll get the wrong idea.

FilthyCasual wrote:
Needs more Dragonaut the Resonance.

Yeah, I was expecting to see someone from that list, considering FUNimation's tagline for this was "Real dragons have curves."
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:32 pm Reply with quote
There was also that one hentai where the heroine can transform into a dragon (or is a dragon). And everyone in the entire world has heard her voice actress.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Dragon Half! is also a 2014 DVD release from Discotec. TRSI has it listed for $15
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:45 pm Reply with quote
MajinAkuma wrote:
There was also that one hentai where the heroine can transform into a dragon (or is a dragon). And everyone in the entire world has heard her voice actress.

She was a dragon that could transform into a girl for some reason. (I.E. Sex, most likely.)

It's been so long since I watched it, I don't remember why she seemed to be the only one (out of all the dragons in the OAV) who could do that.

I also find the D&D "dragons are descended from cats" theory interesting, because the first JRPG I ever played was Lunar The Silver Star, where baby dragons are basically cats with wings.
belvadeer wrote:
I'm going to be that guy and ask, "What about six dragon guys that set your heart ablaze?", though in my case they don't assume a human form. They're all dragon, all the time. Anime hyper

You're not the only one who's had that thought. (Warning: Link mildly not safe for work.)
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I've always thought that cats and dragons were natural antagonists, well big cats anyway. I've seen several images of a tiger and a dragon snarling at each other used to show the atmosphere when two competitors face each other. Isn't that the concept behind the title Toradora?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4