• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CDJapan: Avex Pictures Restricts Overseas BD, DVD, CD Shipments

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Today it Terrible business decisions: How to lose customers and drive them to piracy 101.

I've never seen a company outside of Japan say "I don't want you to buy my products".
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Waitwaitwait Hold up? Is it because of Crunchyroll and Funimation right?
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Don't worry guys, we always have the internet. If these folks don't wanna make money, no problem, we'll put our cash towards other shows and just pirate this one online lol. I bet they'll take off this restriction when a future show of theirs bombs and they'll suddenly need money, but by that time, they won't be relevant anymore.
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Well that's pretty dumb. They should be glad that people want to legally support a series. They should be making it EASIER for overseas fans to support a series, not harder. People are just going to start using forwarding services now, so I don't really know what they hope to achieve by doing this.
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Soo.....how will I legally buy soundtracks now? This is definitely not how you prevent piracy, nope.

Well, international order services I suppose.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:57 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Before anyone complains about this, you should feel lucky that the folks in Japan even share their work with the rest of the world. Not that the titles mentioned are soul crushing or anything. Just a reminder.

"You people don't deserve these shows that I don't like"? Okay...
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:00 pm Reply with quote
This is likely an issue more with Avex's music releases than anime titles. Avex doesn't hold international rights for many anime titles, including Yuri!! On Ice, Scorching Ping Pong Girls, Mr. Osomatsu, or even Initial D, all of which they hand a hand in producing. However, they do hold music rights for many artists, which they sell internationally to other labels and/or their subsidaries like Avex Asia (focusing on Taiwan and SE Asia) or Avex International (in the US). This move is likely designed to boost music sales in those regions (or start them in US perhaps) rather than focus on anime, which they don't have the rights in those regions and would only benefit from foreigners buying them.

Using Amazon Japan as an example, it's unlikely that Japanese online retailers have a system designed to prevent specific products from being sold internationally. That means that anything from Avex, including Blu-rays and DVDs are blocked when all they desired originally was CDs (and likely more foreigners bought CDs than the Blu-rays and DVDs anyways). Anime Blu-rays and DVDs were just a casualty of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Well... f***. Yuri!!! on Ice was actually the first series I seriously considered importing, and the reason I haven't done so is because of a surgery that I had at the beginning of January. I had considered maybe importing the BDs at a later date. I guess if that happens I'll have to rely on proxy services or ebay.

At least I've already gotten the Oh SkaTra soundtrack. It's gonna suck if any other cds that I want are released.

I wonder if Avex (or whoever holds international licensing rights) plans on establishing a presence in the US like Aniplex and PonyCan? As far as popular titles in the West go, YOI might be a good one to start on. Funimation hasn't yet made an announcement of owning physical distribution rights. As much as I know others will bitch about it, I'd pay premium prices for a YOI bluray release - especially if we can get those Japanese bluray extras translated.

Or maybe it's Funimation restricting it for their release? No idea.

Ah, the rationale in the below makes sense. But that really sucks - the anime being held up because of the music.

Last edited by Crisha on Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WingKing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:03 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
Chances are this has more to do with international rights sales than with consumer sales.

Avex, like any entertainment company, sells the rights to their product to different overseas markets (Australia, Europe, North America, etc.). The rights holders in those countries want to be able to produce their own DVD editions within the market they've purchased the rights for. Since sales of a licensed product can be impacted by the easy availability of editions from other markets (especially if one market hasn't released an edition yet), it is in Avex's best interests to curtail as much as possible sales across those markets, in order to drive up the licensing fees as much as possible. Its a business decision: the number of sales they've lost to outside-of-Japan customers is almost certainly less than the amount they'll gain from licensing their product to different markets.

This is probably getting close to the heart of it. This is the most insightful explanation I've seen so far for why they likely did this: https://curiouscat.me/somekindofthing/post/103515862 If the writer is correct, then this is about protecting Avex's pop music portfolio and has nothing to do with anime at all; the anime is just getting caught up in the wash of a clumsily implemented policy (and if you consider that Avex's annual revenue from their idol group CDs and merchandise undoubtedly dwarfs their revenue from anime sales, it makes a lot of sense).
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:07 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Well... f***. Yuri!!! on Ice was actually the first series I seriously considered importing, and the reason I haven't done so is because of a surgery that I had at the beginning of January. I had considered maybe importing the BDs at a later date. I guess if that happens I'll have to rely on proxy services or ebay.

At least I've already gotten the Oh SkaTra soundtrack. It's gonna suck if any other cds that I want are released.

I wonder if Avex plans on establishing a presence in the US like Aniplex and PonyCan? As far as popular titles in the West go, YOI would be a good one to start on. Funimation hasn't yet made an announcement of owning physical distribution rights.

As much as I know others will bitch about it, I'd pay premium prices for a YOI bluray release - especially if we can get those Japanese bluray extras translated.

Crunchyroll likely has the master license to that series, including home video and merchandise rights. It was sold internationally by TV Asahi, not Avex. They'll be the ones who'll decide what goes on the North American Blu-ray/DVD release.

While Avex International Inc does exist in the US, it's more likely that it'll be used to sell music rather than anime, much like Avex Asia in Taiwan/SE Asia.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:26 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
Chances are this has more to do with international rights sales than with consumer sales.

Avex, like any entertainment company, sells the rights to their product to different overseas markets (Australia, Europe, North America, etc.). The rights holders in those countries want to be able to produce their own DVD editions within the market they've purchased the rights for. Since sales of a licensed product can be impacted by the easy availability of editions from other markets (especially if one market hasn't released an edition yet), it is in Avex's best interests to curtail as much as possible sales across those markets, in order to drive up the licensing fees as much as possible. Its a business decision: the number of sales they've lost to outside-of-Japan customers is almost certainly less than the amount they'll gain from licensing their product to different markets.

Eh, normally I'd agree with this, but the number of people importing ridiculously expensive JP BDs is a pretty tiny number, and not very likely to effect their local distributor in most cases. For me, I almost always buy the domestic release as well as the imported one, if it is available, but I like to be able to buy an imported copy of something that I can't legally buy here. Blocking me from doing so if moronic.(ultimatemegax I'm sure knows what is going on more than me, so I'll assume, and hope, it's something like that, rather than a Japanese company being way too insular)

Ambimunch wrote:
Don't worry guys, we always have the internet. If these folks don't wanna make money, no problem, we'll put our cash towards other shows and just pirate this one online lol. I bet they'll take off this restriction when a future show of theirs bombs and they'll suddenly need money, but by that time, they won't be relevant anymore.

I hate to do it, but this is the very reason that I download torrents of every show that I like for archival purposes. I can't rely on there being a physical release for too many of my favorites. I buy JP releases regularly, but if I can't even do that in some cases now, that's too many shows that I'd have to leave out of my collection.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:26 pm Reply with quote
ultimatemegax wrote:

Using Amazon Japan as an example, it's unlikely that Japanese online retailers have a system designed to prevent specific products from being sold internationally.

As a frequent purchaser of things on Amazon.co.jp I can tell you that not only is it fairly simple to block an item from being purchased from people with mailing addresses in specific countries, it is implemented with anime merchandise so frequently now that I'm actually surprised when something I want to buy is able to be shipped to me.
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
ultimatemegax wrote:

Using Amazon Japan as an example, it's unlikely that Japanese online retailers have a system designed to prevent specific products from being sold internationally.

As a frequent purchaser of things on Amazon.co.jp I can tell you that not only is it fairly simple to block an item from being purchased from people with mailing addresses in specific countries, it is implemented with anime merchandise so frequently now that I'm actually surprised when something I want to buy is able to be shipped to me.

Amazon Japan uses a system where the publisher name determines if you can buy something internationally. That's why you can order things like tickets to Aniplex movies; the publisher name is Aniplex and they can ship anything Aniplex internationally.

When I said specific products, I meant specific products to specific countries. You're likely finding the right publisher that triggers as being able to ship all of their goods internationally to any country. If they had a system that isolated CDs to SE Asia, we may not have seen this restriction applied to everything.
LilyChan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:55 pm Reply with quote
ultimatemegax wrote:
willag wrote:

I wonder if Avex plans on establishing a presence in the US like Aniplex and PonyCan? As far as popular titles in the West go, YOI would be a good one to start on. Funimation hasn't yet made an announcement of owning physical distribution rights.

As much as I know others will bitch about it, I'd pay premium prices for a YOI bluray release - especially if we can get those Japanese bluray extras translated.

Crunchyroll likely has the master license to that series, including home video and merchandise rights. It was sold internationally by TV Asahi, not Avex. They'll be the ones who'll decide what goes on the North American Blu-ray/DVD release.

While Avex International Inc does exist in the US, it's more likely that it'll be used to sell music rather than anime, much like Avex Asia in Taiwan/SE Asia.

Nothing says "we want to succeed in the west" louder than barring music, DVDs, and Blu-Rays from coming to the west.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like this was a music thing that anime unfortunately got wrapped up into. I know a few people that will be upset by this.

I've been taking a break from BD collecting... As much as I'd like to jump on these brand new titles (especially that ice skating one) I've recently relocated with my family and the hospital I'm working at doesn't pay me as much as I'd anticipated they would. That and we are expecting our second child... I'll stick to streaming for now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6