• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CDJapan: Avex Pictures Restricts Overseas BD, DVD, CD Shipments

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:08 pm Reply with quote
But aren't region restrictions usually meant to keep people from buying cheaper alternatives? Japanese releases are the most expensive in the world though. Why would they want to keep people from buying a more expensive release?
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:14 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Eh, normally I'd agree with this, but the number of people importing ridiculously expensive JP BDs is a pretty tiny number, and not very likely to effect their local distributor in most cases.

You'd be surprised what some might or might not consider to be "significant factors" when lawyers are involved. Doing this closes off one avenue of potential objections when negotiating/selling rights. Even if it means only a few thousand dollars difference, its something Avex can do with negligible effort for potentially a slightly more positive gain.

Avex probably views this all as just a way to strengthen their brand and give them more control over its sales. Time will tell if they are right.

relyat08 wrote:
I hate to do it, but this is the very reason that I download torrents of every show that I like for archival purposes. I can't rely on there being a physical release for too many of my favorites. I buy JP releases regularly, but if I can't even do that in some cases now, that's too many shows that I'd have to leave out of my collection.

Might I recommend Malaysian DVD & BD releases? They are licensed products, always have English options (subtitles if nothing else), and are nearly all released as Region 0 product (meaning they can play anywhere in the world). I have several sets and picture quality is pretty good (tho they do try to cram as many episodes as they can on each disc). Plus they tend to have a lot of series that are generally out of print in the US and elsewhere.

Kimiko_0 wrote:
But aren't region restrictions usually meant to keep people from buying cheaper alternatives? Japanese releases are the most expensive in the world though. Why would they want to keep people from buying a more expensive release?

1) Music CDs are not region restricted. They can be played on any CD player anywhere in the world. If this is more about the music (which I agree makes sense), then this move is quite logical from a bottom-line perspective.

2) All-region DVD players are pretty common. You can get them just about anywhere. Heck, I've seen them at major chain stores.

(ADDENDUM: IMHO the whole region-restrictions thing has become a joke.)

Last edited by DeTroyes on Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Avex has several things available for purchase on the US iTunes store. I found the Yuri on Ice soundtrack and the Osomatsu-san OP & ED singles with just a cursory search.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:

relyat08 wrote:
I hate to do it, but this is the very reason that I download torrents of every show that I like for archival purposes. I can't rely on there being a physical release for too many of my favorites. I buy JP releases regularly, but if I can't even do that in some cases now, that's too many shows that I'd have to leave out of my collection.

Might I recommend Malaysian DVD & BD releases? They are licensed products, always have English options (subtitles if nothing else), and are nearly all released as Region 0 product (meaning they can play anywhere in the world). I have several sets and picture quality is pretty good (tho they do try to cram as many episodes as they can on each disc). Plus they tend to have a lot of series that are generally out of print in the US and elsewhere.

Interesting. I wasn't aware of this. I buy a bit from the UK, South Korea, and occasionally Australia, but haven't gotten anything from Malaysia. I do care quite a lot for video quality though, so putting a lot on a single disc might be a deal breaker.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Malaysia is known hub for bootleg anime DVDs/CDs/etc and has been for a long, long time now.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:11 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Interesting. I wasn't aware of this. I buy a bit from the UK, South Korea, and occasionally Australia, but haven't gotten anything from Malaysia. I do care quite a lot for video quality though, so putting a lot on a single disc might be a deal breaker.

I thought the same thing too, but picture quality has been surprisingly good. At least on the sets I've purchased (Gundam AGE, Toradora, Blood +, to name a few).

Try one and see what you think.

Megiddo wrote:
Malaysia is known hub for bootleg anime DVDs/CDs/etc and has been for a long, long time now.

*shrug* So is most of the far east. The ones I've been picking up all appear to have licensing information on them, including various tags.

Last edited by DeTroyes on Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:15 pm Reply with quote
If all I cared about for my physical media was picture quality then I'd just download the anime and burn it. Buying bootleg copies is just giving money to people who are profiting off other people's hard work. As for the Malaysia government stickers, it's notorious that they will be put the stickers on anything without any sort of sifting process.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Avex doesn't like money then, best not to support blatant isolationist corporate tyranny like them.
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Yeah it's all because of Shinzo Abe and Donald Trump!
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Avex has several things available for purchase on the US iTunes store. I found the Yuri on Ice soundtrack and the Osomatsu-san OP & ED singles with just a cursory search.

That supports the music theory, although if they really wanted their music to reach North America, they'll need a wider reach--at least Spotify and Amazon Digital Music store as well as iTunes.
luffypirate85 wrote:

I've been taking a break from BD collecting... As much as I'd like to jump on these brand new titles (especially that ice skating one) I've recently relocated with my family and the hospital I'm working at doesn't pay me as much as I'd anticipated they would. That and we are expecting our second child... I'll stick to streaming for now.

Congratulations! I recommend binging as many series while you can now. It's hard to read subs when you're bleary eyed from being up all night with a newborn! Wink Very Happy
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:35 pm Reply with quote
michaeltanzer wrote:
Yeah it's all because of Shinzo Abe and Donald Trump!

WTF, no this is just corporate tyranny by Avex, Abe and Trump have nothing to do with this.
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, but, how are they going to do that?
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. I don't know how many discs were being shipped over seas but they will definitely see a larger decline in sales. Bad business decision indeed.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:44 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
You'd be surprised what some might or might not consider to be "significant factors" when lawyers are involved. Doing this closes off one avenue of potential objections when negotiating/selling rights. Even if it means only a few thousand dollars difference, its something Avex can do with negligible effort for potentially a slightly more positive gain.

While "anything is possible" (especially with lawyers), this an argument I'd really need to see to believe. Considering how hard Japan has been trying to fight reverse importation and (as others have said) how wide the variance is between Japanese prices and other regions for this kind of media, I really can't imagine ANY licenser putting that up as an argument to try to drive down licensing costs. Heck, US licensers have a MUCH better argument that Japanese attempts to prevent reverse-importing (namely, the delays they sometimes force on releases) is a MUCH bigger negative to buyer interest (preventing purchases during the "craze" period) than any people who actually buy the Japanese release. ESPECIALLY for Japanese DVDs which are still in a separate region from US players. (granted, BDs don't have that problem at least)
epicwizard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:12 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Before anyone complains about this, you should feel lucky that the folks in Japan even share their work with the rest of the world. Not that the titles mentioned are soul crushing or anything. Just a reminder.

Exactly. If Japanese licensors wanted to, they could've still retained the mind set that their anime series aren't marketable in the West and therefore barely license them out there. Animated TV shows from China and South Korea suffer through this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6