• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Would A Japanese Publisher Restrict Exports?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:09 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Or in the case of Disney, Warner Bros. and such, lobbying their governments. It probably doesn't apply to Japan, but it's why the United States' patents, trademarks, and copyrights are so ridiculously long (though not as much with patents as with the others, but it's still twice or three times as long as most European countries').

American patents last 20 years. Copyright has gotten out of control. Here's a rant on how estates and corporations here have actually been abusing said system:

Even when a work becomes public domain in the USA, there are still ways to perpetual copyright: trademarking the name, for example. The 2012 case of Golan v. Holder copyright restored many public foreign works here that were still copyrighted in their native countries.

Also, even domestic works can get re-copyrighted, even if there was failure to renew its copyright. A famous case was "It's A Wonderful Life" became public domain in 1975 because a clerical error failed to renew the copyright. But it got a re-copyright of sorts here.

Look up the 1990 Stewart V. Abend case. Republic Pictures (the successor to a film company that had the movie copyrights until 1975) had the films rights to the book that the movie is based off of and the music rights, so they did a copyright restoration of sorts to the film in 1993 by citing Abend. An Information Tech Law Wiki article (itlaw.wikia.com/wiki/Stewart_v._Abe...) summarizes the SCOTUS ruling for this case.

Through some library acquisitions and company mergers, the film is now under copyright by Paramount Pictures. Under current copyright law, the soundtrack copyrights, provided no extensions are made, will expire in Feb. 2067. By this, I take it that the film with the music will be public domain (again) in Feb. 2067.

As long as a the rights holder is still making money from that work through other rights (music, privacy, publicity) then those works are not actually public domain. In terms of IP, I define a work being in 'public domain" here as when the rights holders can no longer legally make any money off of any the IP rights coming from that work. Now, I can handle a derivative work (like a colorized version but maximalists doing digital restorations should not count) since at least an initial work is public domain.

Even if all the, you still can't title a book "Tarzan" without asking ERB, Inc. This is because that name is trademarked. As such, it acts as a perpetual copyright. How else have our copyrights laws become screwed up? Say 1 of the Weissmuller Tarzan movies is out of film copyright but still has the music copyrights.

If IP infringement is deemed theft by many people, then re-copyrights and the trademarking a public domain name is "public domain infringement" and thus stealing form the public.

Congress is forbidden from passing ex post facto laws (retroactive laws) as indicated by the 3rd clause of Article I, Section 9 of our great Constitution. The 1st clause of Article I, Section 10 bars states from doing the same.

However, SCOTUS (whose copyright rulings I usu. question unless it's about fair use or favoring the public domain) ruled in 1798's Calder v. Bull that ex post facto applies to only criminal. Were it civil, those term extensions would be barred. I feel it also applies to civil. Also, I think that the only way to deal with constitutionally-violating acts is for a few Congress members and at least 1 SCOTUS judge to be impeached.
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:14 am Reply with quote
Compelled to Reply wrote:
Back on topic, the bulk of Japan's media publishing company profits come from music. Anime as previously stated, is a niche, and with their biggest overseas markets being Southeast Asia and China, anime is an issue because such countries are notorious for bootlegging. It may sound like a double-edged sword, but the limited number printings going into the hands of bootleggers to copy would has a devastating effect on the industry. So if anything, it's a strategic move rather than some stereotypical salaryman protocol bullshit.

So you are saying that the attempt is to prevent physical copies escaping Japan enabling them to be bootlegged in South East Asia?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4