• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sentai Filmworks Prepares Dub for School-Live! Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:20 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
ARC-1300 wrote:
So hey sentai, whatever happened to that food wars dub?

Since their acquisition of new simulcast titles have slowed lately, I wouldn't be surprised if they're taking their time and spreading out the big titles as much as they possibly can. There's been no news on a few other titles like Gate, Monster Musume, and Ushio & Tora which were announced as planned dubs around the same time. But Amaburi, Danmachi, and Umaru-chan were eventually solicited, and I expect they all will come out in time. Just not at the same time.

agreed,it's just a damn shame is all,they were on top of the world,and BANG

just like that,it was taken away in a flash
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I think spacing out the bigger releases has been paying off. I remember one period when Sentai was pumping out dubs more frequently than any other company and pretty much all of them ranged from mediocre to straight up bad. Even decent Sentai dubs were a rarity back then.

It's been a very gradual process (Hanayamata from last year had a lot of those very specific Sentai problems that no other company seems to have) but now that they're pacing themselves it's finally gotten to the point where a weak Sentai dub is the exception rather than the norm. There's even a few like Nozaki-kun and My Love Story which are just really good.

I'm not gonna get my hopes up too high because I feel that Sentai have a problem when it comes to dubbing shows with high pitched moe girls. It's not just their problem either, even Funimation tend to screw up those dubs more than they hit them out of the park. But I'm hopeful that this dub is one of the exceptions.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
The dub doesn't mean that much to me, but this is a very eagerly awaited title on my list.

I am with you on this, but I will say this was a very safe choice for Sentai.

Small episode count, small (static) cast, would work well in any language.
Dub cost vs sales potential clearly is positive.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:47 pm Reply with quote
ARC-1300 wrote:
it's just a damn shame is all,they were on top of the world,and BANG

just like that,it was taken away in a flash

Slow down with the hyperbole. Sentai (not counting the ADV days) was never the top anime company. They were doing tons of dubs in 2012-2014 probably to quickly build up their catalog. I think they slowed down on producing so many dubs because it was not making much economic for them. Sentai producing only 15-17 dubs per year is a good thing.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:15 am Reply with quote
Funny, I thought they released this already sub only. Anyways, the show is a 2015 release, why does it take them so long to start dubbing and releasing it. The show will be over 2 years old when they finally release it here, who so slow?
CCTakato

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:46 am Reply with quote
Ah I remember the simple times when the School Live swimsuit episode was considered the most offensive fanservice in anime. How naive we were.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:33 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Funny, I thought they released this already sub only. Anyways, the show is a 2015 release, why does it take them so long to start dubbing and releasing it. The show will be over 2 years old when they finally release it here, who so slow?

I think you pose a very Valid question.. They did this with Amabri and probably several others. Part of it is deciding what shows they actually want to dub, the other part is to test the waters to see what will actually be profitable for them.

Personally I am not a dub fan.. especially not an ADV dub fan.. so not having a dub makes zero impact in my purchasing decision.

It's also worth noting that we have gotten used to near simultaneous releases of titles usually within a year after its initial release in Japan. This is now the norm.. and by delaying titles like Amabri for 2 to 3 years after they announce it can lead fans to forget that title for the next big thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2