• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
SukaSuka (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:51 am Reply with quote

SukaSuka (TV)

Genres: Sci-Fi, Drama, Romance, Fantasy
Themes:

Plot Summary: Humans have been driven to extinction by "Beasts." The duty of fighting the Beasts fall to "Fairies," who are destined to use their powers to wield "Holy Swords" called "Kariyon" and eventually meet their destiny of death. A sole human being named Willem wakes up after several hundred years, and continues his fight against the Beasts.

Last edited by Stark700 on Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:50 am Reply with quote
Not familiar with the novels but the art is pretty and I love fantasy drama so my interest has peaked.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:22 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

This is pretty interesting.

The setting gives an atmospheric feel and has a lot of potential for world building. We are introduced to Willem and Kutori pretty early in this episode. Kutori is a kind girl imo despite being a little strange.

The Leprechauns seem like characters that can be interesting to know about more.

Technical wise, it has smooth animation but the music is what stands out the most so far. There's is some mild comedy but for most parts, I think the show maintains a melancholic feel for storytelling so far. Good start.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I do appreciate a more introspective fantasy show, along the lines of Grimgar (or Sunday without God). This show isn't that far yet, but I'm hoping it continues. It may end up being a better music video than a story.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Was that the opening that played during/after the short prologue? That played during like a montage of Willem and the blue haired girl goofing around the city. It was beautiful, fantastic. Loved it.

So far the show seems interesting. Something made me think of Sunday without God, not necessarily sure what. Certainly a bit different from the usual Light Novel fantasy fare. The character designs are rather plain. Like something from maybe 10 years ago. But the backrounds and the animation seemed good.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Chiibi, you're sure good at picking anime to watch this season!! This is the third one that exceeded your expectations!
Why thank you, Chiibi!

I hope ChthollyxWillem becomes a thing. The little girls being curious to see him were all so cute as was his reaction to them.

W: I'm good with kids.
C: *thinking* OMG he's waifu material!

And horray Willem's butt. 8D

Cam0 wrote:
Was that the opening that played during/after the short prologue? That played during like a montage of Willem and the blue haired girl goofing around the city. It was beautiful, fantastic. Loved it.

Same! I was quite sold by that point. Anime hyper

Quote:
Something made me think of Sunday without God, not necessarily sure what.

Both play with unique worlds. In the second arc, Ai comes to that town filled with beast people and this world in SukaSuka seems similar to that. They also feel very much like RPG settings. This is as fantastical as the fantasy genre can get.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Yep, I dug this one, too. I was surprised to hear Simon & Garfunkel's "Scarborough Fair" used as the OP, but it really worked.

I generally like anime kids because they are usually so cute. This batch doesn't seem to be an exception. Maybe it's because I don't actually speak Japanese, but I always have a way easier time listening to Japanese seiyuus play young compared to NA voice actors playing young. I'm a little worried, though, because the formula of cute kids = weapons hints at potentially tragic stuff ahead and I hate that when it comes to kids.

Oh well, I'll cross that tear-soaked bridge when I come to it, I guess.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm a little worried, though, because the formula of cute kids = weapons hints at potentially tragic stuff ahead and I hate that when it comes to kids..

That, too, is my fear and while I personally enjoy tragedies, I don't think I'm prepared for that kind of ride here. Especially with the first opening scenes -- the redhead who totally looks like Chtholly jumping off and the falling Willem. It doesn't help that I read the MAL synopsis which I think provides stronger hints of this fear but it could be a scene from the past.

That aside, I thought it was really a comfy show. I really enjoy the characters so far and the cutesy kids eavesdropping made them much more adorable than I would ever think kids to be. Big titty troll was also fun to watch but Chtholly and Willem's survey of the city with Scarborough Fair playing really sealed the deal for me.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:55 am Reply with quote
Yeah, they really set the hook and sold the show with the walk through the city with the music, showing that they understand tone and world building. And as troll girl(apparently an actual troll), the rest was all toppings that added the flavour into something that is to look at for now. I was trying to figure out if he was immortal/did not age, the plot synopses above seems to explain it more, and hey I can be in for spoiler[fairies].

The show is also filled with a sort of sad melancholy for humans that does in way make on think of Sunday Without God, which does make me a little worried for my kokoro. Wondering so far if he was a father based on how he has been referred to as.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:55 am Reply with quote
Given that "End of the World" is in the title, this showed up on my do not watch list when I first heard of it. All the hints from the source material readers is not helping. That it is starting well just means it will suck more when it reaches the inevitable bad end. I'll pass.

If it turns out to be a light hearted comedy, someone let me know. Wink
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:24 am Reply with quote
You wuss! Come join us in the crying trenches, you big fraidy cat! Wink
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:32 am Reply with quote
No, thank you. I have another season of Natsume to watch.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:41 am Reply with quote
You know this series is gonna be sad when the main female on the LN cover is sobbing her eyes out and is trying so hard not to do so on the Key art for the series....
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:10 am Reply with quote
AsuraTheDestructor wrote:
You know this series is gonna be sad when the main female on the LN cover is sobbing her eyes out and is trying so hard not to do so on the Key art for the series....

The LN covers for Sukasuka and it's sequel Sukamoka all picture girls crying.

EmbraceMe[/quote]That, too, is my fear and while I personally enjoy tragedies, I don't think I'm prepared for that kind of ride here. Especially with the first opening scenes -- the redhead who totally looks like Chtholly jumping off and the falling Willem. It doesn't help that I read the MAL synopsis which I think provides stronger hints of this fear but it could be a scene from the past. [quote]

The opening sequence and having "Scarborough Fair" play truly undercuts the story's attempt to use the lightheartedness of the first episodes,to distract folks.

But yes that opening sequence is a major spoiler and on top of that, it occurs in the middle of the story.An attempt for a second season (which Sukasuka will need), trying to drive LN sales or was it to soften the blow,those are my thoughts.

Many of the synopses for Sukasuka are misleading,the plot summary at the beginning of this thread is off as well

My synopsis of the story-peeling a raw onion.
Sukasuka has many twists(and red herrings if you will) and reveals.

The story is decent and the LN was worth the buy,the anime will prove itself.

I really enjoyed Angel Beats.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:20 am Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
Chtholly

See that confuses me in the LN I've read her name as Kutori Nota Seniolis, and now the anime is translating it as Chtholly Nota Seniorious.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7