• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Re:CREATORS (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:08 pm Reply with quote
In terms of Mamika, she kind of has me thinking about those dark magical girl shows where the regular magical girl character starts to be effected by the very serious surroundings that can either force the character to break into a monster, or incredibly jaded. Like, would Mamika become like Homura who would not have much of a place in her old world?

The episode also kind of pulled together a bunch of threads of what connected all of the fiction characters. That our main character was familiar with them was not enough, but they were probably all characters that to some degree had an impacted Altair's creator. A teenage girl liked: a popular magical girl, a female knight who faced huge amount of horrors, a video game support mage girl, a female battle series heroine (the type with a light novel protagonist at side), a badboy fighting game rival, a boyish mecha fighter who wants freedom, a grizzled and devoted older man merc, and a female villain who wants to see the world burn. Maybe this is jumping ahead too quickly, but I wonder if each character represents a different facet of Setsuna that connected with that built up her character. This could just be me looking too hard while they just put in cool characters.

Mamika is easy, because it may talk to Setsuna's inner child, that Setsuna kind of longed for the simpler times of a child point of view that she gets a bit through Mamika's series. Alicetelia is the exact opposite, a more adult view and something Setsuna perhaps connected with as someone who faced a world so harsh but stayed strong, just as I am guessing Setsuna was facing increasing harsh aspects in her life. Meteora, I am not sure if she is necessarily maybe a seemingly background character that made her feel like she could still be something despite being background, or just a helpful character from a game that just felt like there was someone out there willing to lend support, kind of like this comic I saw of Isabelle from Animal Crossing being helpful for someone feeling alone. Selesia, I kind of wonder if she is just a good balance between the child and adult that the two earlier have, something at her age ground and or among how she is quite self assertive, and maybe the male protagonist at her side. For Yuuya, I might go so far that she liked his badboy like character, that perhaps she thought him cute with still a heart of gold, and a strong sense of freedom. Which I think will match Rui, who she perhaps also thought as cute for a different reason, and also really empathised with him not wanting to be in conflict. For Blitz, I might think a bit again of a male character she liked, but this time perhaps more of a father figure, by how pragmatic he appears, perhaps one she would feel would be devoted to protect her. And Magane, she might be the darkest side of Setsuna, the part that she began empathising with from whatever was breaking her world apart that led to her committing suicide, that went beyond being just cynical, and actively want to see the world burn around her as she did whatever she wanted.

I was just wondering that maybe it is a place that all of these characters kind of make up a complexity to Setsuna that might be disservice from just one trait. It might even be something that the two characters to get drawn to Souta is the safety net support character and one helped by light novel protagonist, these might be two Setsuna maybe connected with that Souta meant somewhat to her. They also seemed to have had what I will call the anime boyfriend duo, which seem to have become kind of bros. The inner child and growing adult character have also been paired and seem to have up to now tried balancing each other, Mamika a moral compass, and Alicetelia a sense of context. Devoted father figure is ready to off anything that stands in his way, and evil side is in the shadows and ready to cause trouble without really any direction from any of the other things. Been a while since I have tried this looking too deep at something.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Mamika was bordering before, but now she is officially my fav character in the series.
It is such a fun ride to watch a "cartoon" learn how to keep her chin up in a world that is certainly not as friendly as her origin, she didn't want to be a "might makes right" type of heroine but when push comes to shove she puts it all on the line to try and resolve the situation.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Just re-watched episode 7, and I noticed a fun cameo.

In the scene where Sota and the other creators are discussing things in Matsubara's apartment, there is a slow pan across a table with several volumes of manga on it. Two stacked manga volumes come into view on the right; the lower manga volume is Black Lagoon. You can clearly see Revy's shorts with a gun belt, and the words Black Lagoon (re)Starter Book on the cover.

A friend of mine also pointed out a shout-out to Aldnoah Zero in the ending credits. In the frame where Marine, Selestia, and Meteora are shopping, the Aldnoah Zero logo can be seen on a shopping bag at right.

Anyone spot any other references?

ADDENDUM
Yeah, there's also the blatant inclusion of Ufotable Cafe in Ep. 7, which does exist and I believe is actually owned by Ufotable (the animation company).
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:07 pm Reply with quote
EP 8
The results of todays episode is not entirely unexpected, but damn it.
Megane has managed to rope in Sota as his connection to so many parties has more than peeked her ravenous curiosity, she pokes fun that Sota is not a "main protagonist" so fearing and respecting her whims is more than mandatory after forcefully exchanging cell numbers.

It is amusing that the show manages to push every other Magical Girl trope such as heavily implied yuri pairing, the heroine meeting the "dark magical girl" to save her from herself, spoiler[and as with darker tellings of the scenario the good girl more than likely being killed off for real]
While there end goals are different, Mamika and Altair are all too similar in motivation, they both are no longer simply "following the script" but after self soul searching came to the conclusion and they still continue to be honor who they were.
Altair actions are not for herself, but for her departed creator Setsuna.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8 Random Thoughts

Re: Mamika

spoiler[Daaaaaaaaaammmmmmmnnnnnnn.

Mamika takes four swords and still has enough strength to go Akira on Altair.
Not sure if she survives this encounter, but since she seems to have anime-level strength perhaps she also has anime-level healing factors.

While I was expecting at least some of the Created to die in the course of this series, I was hoping it wouldn't be Mamika. At least, not this soon. But showing that even the Created can die in this world is probably something that needed to be addressed at some point, and narratively it makes sense that Mamika be the sacrificial lamb.

The girl has absolutely no fear of heights, tho. She fell off that building before transforming like it was nothing. Hopefully she took the time to write or communicate her doubts to the others, in a way they might find should she not return from her confrontation with the MUP (which she clearly suspected might be a fatal one, judging from her good-bye to Alicetelia.)]

Re: Alicetelia:

I like that we got a glimpse of her world from her point of view. I also like that spoiler[Mamika's near last words to her were "you were created to save your world", which in a very real sense, she was.] Alicetelia is shaping up to be the series tragic character: her cause is unquestionably just, but she has been misled in such a way that she can't see she is on the wrong side. Altair is appealing to her from a blindside in her psyche, but she is so wrapped up in her anger at the "gods" that she can't see she is being tricked. spoiler[I wish Mamika could have spent more time communicating what she'd surmised about MUP to Alicetelia], because this may be the last chance Alicetelia has to turn back from the road she is on.

Re: Sota & Meteora scene

Meteora continues to be my favorite character of the series. She is unquestionably the smartest person here, and her perceptive abilities with people are probably only surpassed by Mamika. After her conversation with Sota she knows that he knows more than he's letting on, but she also understands its incredibly painful for the boy. Hopefully that will soften the blow to the others when his secret is ultimately revealed.

As for Sota, he comes close once again to blurting it all out, but once again falls short. We get a better sense of why he's reluctant, tho; he and Setsuna evidently had a falling out of some kind, or at least, Sota did something incredibly childlike that soured their relationship and had (and still has) a terrible, unintended consequence. spoiler[But now that Magane is basically trying to blackmail Sota, you'd think the best way out for Sota is to simply fess up to the others and therefore remove that bit of hold Magane has over him. You'd think.]

Re: Magane

She is having way too much fun with this world. Hopefully she didn't kill some random girl to get that maid cafe uniform and phone.

Not holding my breath, though.

Re: Yuya and his creator

spoiler[Its gotta suck for a creator when one of your main characters tells you to your face that he prefers your annoying rival to you.]

Miscellaneous Note:

Someone earlier asked if it was possible Setsuna was pushed rather than jumped in front of the train on her own. I checked episode #1 itself. Its quick and the entire moment is mostly a blur, but if you freeze frame carefully you can see Setsuna clearly standing alone on the platform, then fall in front of the train just as its about to pass her. No other people are visible on the platform (although there is one smudge that might be a person standing on the stairs at platform end, but that's at least 15-20 meters away). So its unlikely she was murdered.

General Thought:

This is the only series of Spring 2017 that I watch almost as soon as a new episode becomes available. Everything else I can wait a day or two if I have to, but a new Re:Creators just demands I stop everything as soon as I can. And those new episodes go by sooooo fast....

Best new series of the year, so far as I'm concerned. Now pardon me while I go back and watch it again.

Rating: 4.0/5
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
spoiler[The girl has absolutely no fear of heights, tho. She fell off that building before transforming like it was nothing].

I read the scene as spoiler[Mamika understanding that going up against Altair alone would be suicide, she didn't want to get Alice wrapped up in the conflict and just as well didn't want to contact the "heroes" side as she still had some loyalty to Altair as a friend.
The jump is blatantly directed as a suicide jump, when she transforms effectively Mamika has finally reclaimed her Magical Slayer persona but at the cost of continuing being a "normal girl". ]

It is a great set up and a proper audience punch if you were actually rooting for Mamika.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:56 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
spoiler[The jump is blatantly directed as a suicide jump, when she transforms effectively Mamika has finally reclaimed her Magical Slayer persona but at the cost of continuing being a "normal girl".]

spoiler[That didn't occur to me, but you're correct that its a suicide jump. Its the exact same jump you see Setsuna make in front of the train (falling forward from a standing position).

Which probably means its not looking good for Mamika. Sad ]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:22 am Reply with quote
Well there was this huge feeling of death flags around Mamika, that just her jumping off the building felt like her commiting suicide in a way even if I knew full well such a thing would be unlikely, even after her conversation was about how she found the world kind of beautiful. I was saying before how all the created could represent parts of Setsuna, and I also think those parts could have been put into Altair, and the way it was going was the feeling of trying to kill the inner child and sense of hope. Although it may be that Mamika thought the only way she could spread it and face the problem was doing this. I don't want Mamika killed, because at this point she actually feels like the strongest character, as a magical girl she does have the possibility of maybe making it out if her series' rules might hold out, but look Raising Project.

I was kind of screaming at the screen for Sota to spit it out already, but I think it was when he finally hinted what it was that I kind of understood why he might continue to find it hard. He feels personally responsible for his friend committing suicide, and it was out of jealousy. That logically it is one thing, but when Magane put the screws to him you could see the deep wound that left him heaving. It is actually interesting in some context then that Altair talks so much at anger at the world that abandoned Setsuna, yet Altair did not seem to hate him.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:00 am Reply with quote
I would feel awful if Mamika died..

She's one of the characters that just wants the bloodshed to end while some of the others are bloodthirsty for more violence (especially that psychotic Magane girl). In the meantime, I find Magane's conversation rather interesting with the way she taunted him. Souta needs to take more responsibility in this show and his role as I'm sure Altair has something big planned for him soon. His allies (particuarly Meteora from this week's episode) trust him a lot.

In regards to the factions, I guess Magane is going to be the oddball out as she just wants to do things her way, probably to spread chaos just because she can.

Still kinda wonder what Altair's endgame goal is though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
In regards to the factions, I guess Magane is going to be the oddball out as she just wants to do things her way, probably to spread chaos just because she can.

At this point it would not surprise me if Magane passes Altair as the greater threat. It would be just like her to want to watch the world(s) burn.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Ep 9
Mamika can't even die in peace.

Megane turns all of Mamika's dying message as a means to turn Alice against Meteora.

Megane herself sites that Sota "isn't so different" as he too had used words that ended up being a proxy to indirectly kill people that found trust in him, this makes sense to why Megane wanted to ring in Sota in particular aside from being connected to one of the major factions.

It seems that Meteora may have actually figured out the connection between Sota and Setsuna after there meeting but didn't press it at the time because she was trying to be a "good friend".

At this point the only reason why Megane would offer her services to Altair would be to screw Altair over at a critical moment "just to see the look on her face".

In a meta perspective, Yuuya wanting to spar off with Megane is intriguing as both are characters that tend to do things "on a whim", the difference is that of course Megane spells it out that she is a complete text book psychopath while Yuuya to some degree is more of a "rebel without a cause" and while he might have done jerkish things in his source material he still has some sense of compassion for those that are being bullied (likely part of the reason for his fandom).
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9 Random Thoughts

*sigh* *sniff*
spoiler[RIP Mamika.

Hopefully that bit of dissolving just means she went back to her world without really dying.]

Re: Magane
Last episode it was Mamika who got the spotlight; this week its the resident psycho bitch.

This girl is going to burn in hell. Its only a matter of time before her games catch up with her. The way she twists Mamika's last words was just evil. She was truthful and didn't tell a lie, but yet she twisted everything to the opposite of what Mamika wanted. Whenever her comeuppance occurs, you just know it will be glorious.

And as an aside... has anyone else noticed how often Magane plays the "I'm a girl!" card? I mention this because a few weeks ago I raised the possibility that she was really a crossdressing boy. Since her powers are evidently based on lies and deception, it seems to me that being a crossdresser who is good enough to pass as a female would in fact fit very well with her powers, and might be one of the things she uses to fuel it. Which would be a real unique twist. As for why Sota (or anyone else familiar with her series) might not know about it, I would point out that Yuya himself pointed out a few episodes ago that there were aspects of his character that weren't public knowledge because the need for them hadn't shown up in his story yet. Maybe Sota & company should take a good look at the manuscript Magane's creator was working on when he died.

Re: Alicetalia
She is well on her way to a tragic downfall. She has been betrayed by Altair and Magane alike, and she doesn't realize it. At this point I don't think she will learn the truth until its too late.

Re: Sota & Meteora
Good for Sota not buying into the crap Magane was trying to sell him. As a result of all this he finally breaks down and admits to Meteora that there is a connection between him and Setsuna Shimazaki. We still don't know the details, but its a big first step. Meteora at least doesn't seem to hold it against Sota, but I suspect the same might not be true for some of their friends. But with more pressing matters immediate (Alicetalia showing up with murder on her mind), I guess we're still another episode or two away from any revelations about the sequence of events.

Can I just say a few words about the cliffhangers of this series? They've been phenomenal, placed at exactly the right moment for maximum effect, and its been awesome. Frustrating, but awesome. I can't recall a series in recent memory that has used cliffhangers in this way so consistently and effectively. Even when the episode ends on a small, personal moment (like Sota & Mamika in the cafe), it knows when to insert its dramatic week-long pause at the most optimum moment. Re:Creators is going to be one of those shows (like Steins:Gate) that people will stream in essentially one sitting, because once you finish one episode you immediately want to start the next.

Rating: 4.5/5

Last edited by DeTroyes on Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:49 am Reply with quote
Magane steals the show, robbing the impact of Mamika's death and doing her work that really seems to show that she plans to play every side, and she finds it hilarious. On a level I can actually kind of see, I kind of have a quirk where I try to see if I can get people to believe ridiculous things (usually through sarcasm), which I find hilarious if they do although I always tell the truth right afterwards. Apart from what that says about me, I think it sets up that although Magane is a pretty fun character, she is also super poisonous in destructive manner, breeding conflict to delight in it being her actions and the chaos. She is like a textbook wild card character, which is essentially the deal with her power in being able to alter narratives. She was talking earlier about how she does not hate other people in things like conflict, but it also seemed to set up that people like Meteora who spoil her fun by logically seeing through tricks do tick her off.

If Magane is a sense of freedom through lies, it Yuuya's sense of freedom does feel more of truth, that he hates the crap that other people get behind, and why them fighting was cool not just visually but also thematically. Magane also pushed Sota so far that he finally said everything to Meteora. Am actually wondering if there might be a limit where things don't work to the way Magane is used to. What will Alicetaria do?
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:20 am Reply with quote
We're almost at the half-way point of the series. I think they're setting up for a big battle and major revelations to finish up the cour.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Plot twist: this was a documentary all along!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9