• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Re:CREATORS (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Ep 12
Alice seems to have just now been able to open her eyes to the situation that has caused the death of her new friend Mamika, and not so differently she will continue walking a path that is paralleled to her media incarnation out of personal choice and not simply "reading the lines in the script".

If we take Altair's assumption that the series writers are showing there hand, my bet would be on aside from who looks like an in the shadows version of Charon who will likely display a similar arc as the other creations unable to see themselves outside there old script.

The other creations? Mamika hinted she had a rival in her own show, if it along the lines of many other modern magical shows this will be the Fate Testerossa/Homura Akemi to Mamika's Nanoha/Madoka persona, but just as well the show is going to have to sadly be picky on who WILL show up as in the meta sense re creators can't just throw in characters willy nilly else the narrative train slows down needlessly.

That said, the finale is going to be revealed that the "cage" that our leads are constructed will allow for even Mamika to temporarily return as it will hinted to be a space between and not part of either fiction and reality, they might even meet zaShunina for all we know (that last one was a terrible joke).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:24 am Reply with quote
It was a pretty cool moment in realising that their idea to power their group up is to effectively create a giant crossover of their series. Yo dawg, I heard you liked crossovers so we put a crossover within the anime about crossovers.

And looks like Altair has snatched up Selesia's partner, Charon, which might cause a problem. I wonder if he would be easier manipulated and a weakness to Selesia. Interested in what other types of characters Altair is going to pull out, you just know it was to the audience to get us a little hyped. I was wondering if they would just be from genre already set or new ones.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:13 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 Random Thoughts

Its been a few weeks since last I did one of these. Sadly, real life can get you like that. Bummer.

This was the first episode where I thought the exposition bogged the story down. In the past I’ve been willing to excuse the talking heads scenes, because in general those scenes have provided wonderful character moments that have more than made up for it. Not so this time. While I guess a scene charting where they intend to go from here was inevitable, I kind of thought this one was more drawn-out than normal. Still, at least there is a plan in place, so for the first time our characters have an idea where they are headed.

A little disconcerted about the talk of 3-6 months to implement their plan, tho. It looks to me like Altair is moving fast, and will probably be ready long before that. spoiler[With Alicetaria’s creator now loose, I’m wondering which faction he’s going to end up supporting.]

The end of Sota’s story was a little anti-climactic for me. Basically, because he didn’t answer Setsuna’s texts when she needed him to, he blames himself for the consequence. While I can understand the blame, his reaction to it (deleting all of his connections to her) seemed mystifying to me. When someone grieves, they generally don’t cut themselves away from the object of their bereavement. Maybe it makes sense for the story, but for a series that is in part all about real life vs. story life, that part just doesn’t ring true to me.

spoiler[The guy in the after-credit sequence is almost certainly Charon, Selesia’s love interest in Elemental Symphony of Vogelchevalier. I kind of figured he’d show up eventually, since he kept getting name-dropped early on and he’s in the opening credits (and hence, practically screamed “I’m a Chekov’s Gun!”). I believe he’s the one Marine mentions as betraying Selesia in the novels, so I suppose him winding up on Altair’s side is to be expected. Prediction: I’m betting Matsubara is going to be looking for a new love-interest for Selesia pretty soon; someone more worthy of his “daughter”.]

On another board someone pointed out a quote from Rei Hiroe to the effect that we might be seeing some “familiar faces” in Re:Creators. I’m taking that to mean there will be some genuine crossovers in the later episodes, probably from series associated with Hiroe, Ei Aoki, Troyca, and their friends (Ufotable?). So don’t be surprised if the crossover climax includes characters from Black Lagoon, Aldnoah Zero, Fate/Night, and anyone else they can convince to “borrow” their creations. Besides, I just can't imagine the series creators going to all the trouble of doing an anime Last Action Hero (Hiroe’s own description of Re:Creators) and passing up the opportunity to throw in some of their own stuff.

Side note: If the Japanese ratings I’m seeing posted on Twitter are any indication, Re:Creators has been a big hit in Japan. It seems to place as the 4th or sometimes 3rd most watched anime of any given week, usually behind only My Hero Academia, Attack on Titan, and one other series whose name I can’t decipher (gomen, my kanji knowledge is atrocious). So even when this series ends, I doubt that will be the last we’ll see of these characters. Another series? Movie? Spinoffs? I can hope!

Rating: 3.5/5
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So don’t be surprised if the crossover climax includes characters from Black Lagoon, Aldnoah Zero, Fate/Night

Oddly enough, I would rather see the "expy equivalent" than any official cameo, though that would be my personal take.
Though with regards to Fate/Night, they could put say Gilgamesh in except he looks closer to the fabled Gilgamesh than the golden ego trip every Fate fan knows about, the gag of course is that he would still be voiced by Tomokazu Seki .
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:53 pm Reply with quote
^ yeah it would be a little weird if they mixed fictional fictional characters and real fictional characters. I don't think I'd be opposed to it but I do think it would be a little strange.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:33 am Reply with quote
FWIW, my daughter wants to see Mamika return... leading an army of Mahou Shoujo.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:40 am Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
FWIW, my daughter wants to see Mamika return... leading an army of Mahou Shoujo.

lol, every damned precure crossover film is as much, but yeah I would be amused by such a site to the next level.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I know most people are going to skip 13 because it's a recap, but I'd definitely recommend watching it. This episode was hilarious.
TymersRealm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Re: Creators - 13

WTF? A recap episode with ten to go (counting this ep)?
AT least until spoiler[Meteora's appearance in the ep 1 flashback]. Talk about trolling the audience there. At least that was good humor for a dragged on moment. But then again, I think this was spoiler[Meteora's best attempt at humor, so far. Considering how flat her initial joke at the end of ep 1 was...]
The only upside, if you could call it that, is a learning a little more info on the Creation's backgrounds. I'm also not entirely sure having spoiler[Meteora giving off commentary at times] is a good thing. It feels like spoiler[Meteora is just trying to add a little humor into her commentary. It works a little, but also seems a little OOC as well.]
And then there is spoiler[Meteora's little speech at the end of the ep. I got to wonder if this is a counter-criticism to a lot of the, in some cases deserved, negative press the Anime industry has been getting as of late?]
Was this actual ep needed? I'm not sure. Anytime, intentional or not, a recap ep is brought in, it weakens the overall pace of the narrative.

I also got to wonder if the fanboys are gonna want spoiler[Alt-Meteora] merch now?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 13

I was kind of disappointed from the start at there being no new OP (it is still good though), which was getting explained by this being a recap episode. Something considered very infamous for anime.
But that was totally hilarious, alone it felt like the show tackling the case of Magane being favourite by many people, which is why in general her review was largely keeping the terror of her character intact, but Meteora just killed it this episode. I like the idea that Meteora would write herself like this, it was pretty hilarious, and how she ripped into all the character in ways people might do so.

And then you have the second meta part of the talk where Meteora is not only talking as the viewers might, but from the staff. Which was capped with Meteora breaking down Altair and how the animators think that her design is stupid along with hard to animate, and one of the best at calling her a light blue mop from behind. Finishing off with then sort of justifying what this recap did, using quotes like people saying the anime or industry is in trouble, but assuring that they should not be worried. This kind of harkened back to what something like Shirobako did in I think showing what the climate is like, and we should not be so harsh.

And still this actually did have some value in that I think we got extra info on some of the lore the characters, which is a pretty reasonable thing to actually go out of the way to do. I think one of my favourite bits of this was connecting the names of Mamika's friends to the picture we see of them, with a third character just labelled as "random classmate". Laughing But there was a bunch of little nuggets in the episode, like Meteora calling Alice as all muscles and no brain, having her own nickname to Yuya who made one to her, empathising a little much that Selesia is not weak in a snarky way.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 Random Thoughts:

All recap episodes should be narrated by Meteora.

That's pretty much my entire review.

Okay, here's some random thoughts & observations:

1) For a kuudere, Meteora is not lacking in the self-confidence department. Although I would point out that at the end of her first "sexy-Meteora" bit, she says she "feels better now" when the story went back to the way it actually happened. Like, she was little uneasy about having just shown a side of her she was uncomfortable showing. But then, of course, she goes back to sexy-Meteora later on.

2) Meteora's comments on Selesia didn't strike me so much as criticism of Selesia herself but as someone sticking up for a friend even though they know the criticism might be justified.

3) We've seen glimpses of Meteora's humor and mischievous side before, but here it was on full display. My favorite little-bit was the way she mocked Yuya when everyone else is frozen (she mimes grasshopper and glasses at him).

4) The only non-Created character she discusses is Sota. While that was understandable given the episode length, I'm a little disappointed we didn't get to hear her commentary on Matsubara and the other creators.

5) You can tell the production staff had a ball with this episode. If you're going to do a recap episode, might as well make it a memorable one.

Troyca should just use Meteora as their default recap narrator, even if the show isn't Re:Creators related.. Make it a running gag, with Meteora commenting about how bizarre it is to be talking about shows she isn't even in.

Rating: 4.0/5
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Loved the recap, funny. Agree that Meteora should do all of these from now on.

My question is, have recap eps been put in most distributions in the last few years, like as an OVA or something? Because I want a copy of this pretty bad, and I need to know if I have to resort to Other Means.

And when have they _not_ made merch if there's any profit in it.
A life size Meteora with a pool table? Sure, why not? Laughing
TymersRealm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:07 pm Reply with quote
One more ep 13 comment.
@Nom De Plume - I would imagine ep 13 is gonna be included in any eventual release. While it doesn't exactly move the narrative, there is enough 'new' material for sure. Plus, I imagine it would throw everything else off.

Now then...
Ep-14
Finally back to business.
With Kikuchihara getting all the logistics moving forward, now it falls on the Creators to get things moving to start building the "bird cage". Though I do find Kikuchihara's statement to the various Animators and production people as they start grousing about how the plan is going to impact their, already full, schedules interesting: spoiler["To put it simply, I'm telling everyone to die."] Priceless.
The main part of the ep is the Creators getting together to start building the crossover works. You still have to wonder how deep the issues between Matsubara and Yatoji are, but spoiler[the fact that they come to creative terms with part of the crossover] might be seen as a good thing. And finally spoiler[Sota steps up! Let's hope that he can deliver.]
We also, finally, get the new OP & EP. I like the EP's overall visuals, but what is showed in the OP really get's interesting: One more Creator, Two more Creations spoiler[(Syo, I believe, from Exclusive Underground and a pink haired girl seen at the end of the ep)], and Selesia spoiler[gets her Mech back].

All in all, I liked the start to Re:Creators second act. I just hope for a entertaining ride.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Just a reminder, Megane specifically killed her creator truly giving her presence wild card status depending on how her material is released, if say for example her source material original format is from Doujin releases during Comiket with all other material as "adaptations" then it might be much trickier to convince the fandom of sudden changes in her arc.

As for the new opener, it paints a significantly sympathetic take on Altair, this can hint on changes that could occur in the fandom and may make her become a hero in the eyes of the audience which could be a disaster to the effort (which my bet would be the Birdcage event will actually happen around the ep 18-20 range with an additional series climax concerning Megane as the villain).

As for the last minute character officially revealed, it looks like she is the dating sim Heroine trope incarnate, the other Male character revealed in the opener is likely the counterpart to Yuuya.

That out, there probably has to be more characters tossed in as part of the twist in the series, such as a poorly timed popularity boost of say a counterpart to say the Avengers suddenly getting popular in universe at the worst time.

Then again, I could always be reading into the madness too hard.

*edit
It was amusing they had been contemplating the nature that a "bad conclusion" that the audience wouldn't be able to accept it and just recently Kado was concluded in such an arbitrary unfulfilling fashion that myself couldn't believe the writers came up with such a solution considering the path the show seemed to be headed.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:33 am Reply with quote
I was king of wondering what could it be that Sota wants to do, and then I thought, maybe it is himself. If they are wondering what could draw their stories together, then maybe it could be an insert character kind of like himself, since he has kind of been a centre. I was thinking it inresting that you could see the characteristics of the characters in the creators in this episode when they started fighting. And also I particularly interesting Marine seems to be quite similar to Sota in feeling that she is incompetent compared to a quicker illustrator.

Other thing wondering. What genre is the very normal looking girl from? My current guess at her is that she is probably an "ordinary school girl", who is kind hearted, but clumsy

To match Charon in the other side, there also seems to be Yuuya's rival (the hero of his story), and there is another mecha. The OP has kind of given away that Selesia will be getting her mecha.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9