• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - My Love Story

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:23 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
As others have mentioned elsewhere, the Metropolis release is a BD-R (which is apparently something of lesser repute). The consensus seems to be for North American viewers to import the latest UK release, which is reportedly compatible with their zone.

I'm one of those people who commented on the UK BD release.

YES, get it!
It's a much a better package for the price. For the same cost as the vanilla Sony Pictures/US BD-R release, you're getting an actual Blu ray menu with all the extras the original Sony US DVD release had in addition to the theatrical trailers which some of the numbskull companies count as an extra!

There is a regular packaging Blu ray release of this coming in March. For now, only the steelbook edition is available... It's discounted on most websites online that are carrying the UK BD. For the current exchange rate, it's a much better deal than importing the Japanese BD of Metropolis which probably does not have subtitles OR the English-dub track. It cost me around $26 (with shipping included) to get this disc since it's a reasonable deal provided you can wait on regular shipping (about $5) otherwise you'll be paying around $35-$38 to get in 2-4 days. I got my copy in around 10 days...

The English track on the UK Metropolis BD is the same one recorded for the US theatrical release of Metropolis and the 5.1 audio track bundled on the original US DVD release as well.

(Note: The DVD included with the BD will NOT play on US DVD players unless they've been modded multi-region. You CAN reset your computer's BD OR DVD drive to Region 2 to playback the DVD... Whether it handles/descrambles the PAL video signal off the DVD well is a different story. I would imagine most computer DVD drives can handle PAL.)

I have an ancient Panasonic Blu ray player (Region A), firmware hasn't been updated in three years (I have the latest firmware revision). It plays this "locked" Region B release fine. If any player I had was going to give me problems, it would have been this one which to date will not play at least 2-3 of my Sentai Pictures/Section 23 BD's.

I wish more of the non-US, non-Japanese BD releases were like this as far as "soft locking" goes but unfortunately most of the Region B releases ARE locked and will NOT play in a US machine unless it's cracked (multi-region) or you reset your PC BD drive to play Region B. Those are the facts! Thank goodness, they've stopped this practice with 4K BD which is OPEN but it'll be years before 4K BD becomes the standard for anime.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:21 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Animegomaniac wrote:

Yes, great series, great dub and my only complaint is that we never got to see what kind of girl Sunakawa was into. Sure, it hinted here and there but it certainly wasn't the girl the series ran with at the end which was a disappointment
Ahh, but is Suna into girls at all? Is he even romantically interested in anyone? Viz hasn't released the final volume of the manga in the US yet, so I can't say for sure, but many people interpreted Sunakawa as asexual, and I'm partial to that idea until the manga reveals otherwise. When the anime was streaming, The Mary Sue ran an article about asexual representation in media that posited Suna's identity as ace: My Love(ish) Story: Anime, Aces and Suna-min Rolls

Yes, I considered that possibility too but the series did do a good job in explaining why Sunakawa wasn't that interested in any girls in particular as they were all pretty two faced thanks to his friendship with Takao... the ones Takao liked were bad but I can't imagine the ones who approached Sunakawa Takao didn't know about were much better. It's quite easy to imagine that the second thing they say is "The first thing you have to do is drop the big guy".

So I'm saying that it's not that Sunakawa is asexual but that, because of his good looks combined with Takeo's not so good looks, he has a low opinion of girls in general. It's a reasonable conclusion as his looks would attract the superficial ones as it would be hard to get to know the quiet Sunakawa without learning about the loud Takao.

And you have to admit that Sunakawa was not impartial to Saijo as she clearly passed his first hurdle in liking Takeo even if the real problem was that she likes him too much. It was also pretty cute how she gave both Takeo and Sunakawa "friendship" chocolates even if she doesn't like Sunakawa. She just puts up with Sunakawa because he's Takao's friend which I think amuses him as that's a situation that's utterly counter to his cynical expectations.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:26 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I wish Stand Alone Complex could get a Blu-Ray release in the UK, Manga UK thought it would a great idea to instead release the 2 OVAs instead Rolling Eyes

unfortunately with all of the restrictions they have, its highly unlikely. at least these dvd list are definitely on my must buy list.one of them is asterisk war since i am a massive sucker for harem type series that are based off of light novels/visual novels. especially if the MC clearly have a type of big sis complex, but not in the same level as say ichika orimura from IS.

and speaking of sister complex, was definitely disappointed that yosuga no sora wasnt getting an english dub version. after playing the game version and watching the sub online, its definitely one of the better genres since koi kaze and angel sanctuary. and it was technically the last animated series that have that type of relationship before the tokyo youth ordinance law pretty much killed off the genre and gave the rise to the whole step sibling nonsense. sure there was selector infected wixoos as well as spread, but the relationship between the kurabashi twins kazuki and yuuzuki wasnt as deep as haruka and sora let alone koi kaze which was the better series of the three.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2