• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The neverending backlog...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fikshen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:35 pm Reply with quote
"How to get through a backlog" (AKA my own version of MAL's bingo challenge):

Make a list of 24 anime you want to watch/finish. "On-hold" anime is fine too.
Arrange the list in numbered, alphabetical order.
Use this site (or something similar/another method) to create a randomized 5X5 bingo card with the numbers 1-24 and a free space in the center.
http://myfreebingocards.com/bingo-card-generator (just make a copy of the first card generated)
To choose what to start with, use an online RNG to pick a number randomly from 1-24.
Watch and finish whatever item corresponds to the number.
Once it's completed, mark that space on the card.
After a row of 5 has been completed, take a break for awhile (a week or so), and replace the completed items with more of your backlog.
Repeat.

Note: You can also give yourself one free pass each time you're on a new card just in case you get an anime you really don't want to watch at that time. In addition, you can replace the free space with an anime you're currently watching that's not on the list, or just use as an already "completed" space.

Also, if you use this method with something more time-consuming like video games, shrink the card down to 3X3 and the list down to 8 items (or 9 if you want to cut out the free space).

It may also be a good idea to have a time limit for each item.
For example:
Movies - Watch within 48 hours.
Series - Watch/finish with 1 week.
Series over 30 episodes: watch within 2 weeks.
Average game: Finish within 2 weeks.
RPG: Finish within 1 month.
etc.

I'm currently getting ready to start this with my anime backlog by using 3 separate cards.
I chose anime that I've been planning to watch/finish forever, and I also went back through my Plan to Watch list and removed anything that I knew I'd probably never get around to ever watching.

If you come up with any similar or helpful ideas, post them here!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:58 am Reply with quote
I just have a spreadsheet.

Each anime gets a number (the number goes up the longer it is in the backlog, so that the longer something is there, the odds are higher of it being picked), and then I random.org it. I also just use random.org to decide if I'm gonna use the next hour watching from my backlog, from the airing anime I'm following, reading a manga, or playing a video-game.

I'm kinda boring.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:40 am Reply with quote
You're trying too hard and making a chore out of something you should be doing for the shear pleasure of it. Watch what every you are in the mood for when ever you want to. Watch because you are enjoying that show at that time.

Unless you are a reviewer, or an academic writing a paper, there is no point at all in watching a show you don't enjoy. You should try everything you get, and you should know enough about a show before you obtain it to know you will like it. Otherwise just go with your mood. If you want to rewatch a show you really enjoyed, do that.

This isn't a contest to see who can watch the most poor anime. Bragging rights about how many shows you have watched will not get you anything. Even if a show never gets watched no harm is done except possibly to your wallet.

Forcing yourself to watch your backlog is a recipe for burnout.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:04 am Reply with quote
Wow, that's...uh...Well for me that seems like putting a lot of effort into motivating or tricking yourself to watch your backlog. Now if it works for you that's great.

For me its mainly 2 simple things a list and time. Making a list helps keep track of what you've gone thru and what needs to be watched. I didn't keep a list at first which made it easier to get distracted by other things like games, books, music, live-action movies, re-watching favorite anime and streaming anime. It got to the point that the size of my backlog for me was getting too large and was irritating me. If its just sitting there and I'm not watching or making use of stuff then I feel like I'm wasting my money. It also feels good to knock things off the list. I've also got a live-action backlog and a book one as well.

The second most important thing is time. I'm not retired so I don't have a ton of extra time. One of the things I did was cut down on how much streaming anime I watch. I don't need to watch everything anymore and I'm pickier with what I watch so this opened time for my back logs. I don't push myself to watch what's on my anime list, if I don't feel like watching anime then I don't and instead watch live-action or read a book. This helps avoid burnout. I'm also in no rush and its taken me about 3 to 4 years to get my backlog to a semi-manageable level. I should also add that I'm pickier about what I buy nowadays than say 8 years ago. Just like I don't need to watch everything I also don't need to own everything and this has helped keep my backlog from growing too fast. More quality, more leisurely watching pace has made it more enjoyable for me.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
You're trying too hard and making a chore out of something you should be doing for the shear pleasure of it. Watch what every you are in the mood for when ever you want to. Watch because you are enjoying that show at that time.

This. This be what I do.

Though...............I really have terrible anime ADD. Anime hyper However when a series airs weekly, I normally end up finishing that with no problem. Trying and sticking with older shows is when I flit from title to title.
gsilver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Best backlog management:
"I'm not watching it now"

Poof. Gone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1