• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Schedules Big O Blu-ray Release for June

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schoolie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I have the Bandai Complete Collection sets for both Season 1 and 2, but I may just have to get the Blu-Ray. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Anyone remember when Cartoon Network/Adult Swim accidentally (?) broadcasted the wrong episode (Stripes) the night the final episode was supposed to air?
taster of pork

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Gonna have to double dip on this one. Very Happy
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:16 am Reply with quote
Probably my sentimental favorite series of all time, finally on Blu-ray? Sounds like my kind of birthday present. Very Happy
Desslok

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:16 am Reply with quote
I deeply regret getting rid of my old Sunrise discs many moons ago, so this is a no-brainer Day One for me!
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:28 am Reply with quote
I can see why the cover artwork isn't final--unless that Big O Blu-Ray collection is meant to pick fights with the rest of your home video copies.
GlitchBob

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:31 am Reply with quote
Great news.... but is it the same upscaled video (no HD Telecine) that was released on blu-ray in Japan (which also had English audio btw) in 2011?

For anyone who has yet to buy a blu-ray player, the upscale does look better:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/200945
(one can only imagine the additional details that would be seen along with increased clarity of a proper remaster)

If nothing else, this will be a more affordable option to those that don't want to shell out around $300 for the JP set.
Koda89

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:46 am Reply with quote
Can't wait to get this. I love Big O! Plus it is a nice piece of anime history, one of the first(don't know if it was the first though) anime series to get continued in some form due to its popularity in the West, legitimate proof that all of us do matter to the industry in some form. Laughing
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:53 am Reply with quote
Nice to see Failed Knight is getting a LE. I hope one is released in Australia too...if not, may need to import.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:24 am Reply with quote
Part of me wishes they "fix" the ending to Big O, so it's not a virtuality ending. I hated hat than past being revealed as a war that mankind nearly bought it.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:26 am Reply with quote
GlitchBob wrote:
Great news.... but is it the same upscaled video (no HD Telecine) that was released on blu-ray in Japan (which also had English audio btw) in 2011?

Yes, it'll probably be the same video master used for the Japanese release.
No, they're not going to redo it because these things are expensive. The HD transition was delayed by the enormous cost in prepping material for 1080p format. What do you think is happening now with 4K?!?!?

Rule of thumb -- if the video quality sucks for the Japanese releases, it'll probably be bad for the US, too, unless somebody cares enough to spend the money to redo the HD master. Of course, that also depends on the available film stock or video tapes that exist. Some things have not gotten BD releases simply because they can't find the 16mm or 35mm master films for those titles!
The recently-released US and UK Metropolis BD releases has the same video master used for the Japanese release. It is NOT state-of-the-art; it's cutting edge -- for maybe 4-5 years ago. I can definitely see problems with the video in places BUT it's what we're stuck with for probably another 5-6 years at least.

The transition to 4K will probably take longer... The 4K TV sets have been on the market for the better part of AT LEAST 5 years now but there's still not a lot of native or converted 4K video material yet. Heck, I'm a picky video consumer and I see VERY LITTLE released on 4K BD as of yet that I'd feel I'd want to take a chance on... It's just the usual Hollywood first-run recent movie trash that I have little interest in. The classics I'm interested in as well as anime are still being primarily released on DVD or BD. As of now, there are MAYBE 4 different 4K BD player models on the market in the US...! I can't imagine they're selling fantastically well in Europe OR Japan, either. There were definitely more models available for BOTH DVD and BD at this point in their life cycles. 4K is rolling out very slowly on disc...

We're going to be dealing with both DVD and Blu ray for quite a while longer... BD should be okay... I've always wondered about DVD upscale for 4K -- I can't imagine it looks very good since the results are already inconsistent for 'regular' 1080p upscale. When I watch DVD's upscaled on my HD set, half the time I set my player to output at 720p or less... A lot of times full HD upscale just doesn't look good -- and I've found that's as true for "simply" designed animated series as well as live-action. Again, very, very inconsistent. It really depends on the disc and how well it was mastered to begin with!
There ARE crummy Blu rays out there, too. There are infamous stories of movies that went through 2 and even 3 separate releases before they finally "got them right."
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:52 am Reply with quote
^A bit of a note but season 2 was done digitally in SD so it was going to be upscaled no matter what, it's just a shame that season 1 had the same thing happen there since that season actually was done on film.
Supermutant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:29 pm Reply with quote

About time for Big O. I have season but I missed getting season 2. I did watch it when it was on adult swim though. Will for sure be picking it up.[/url]
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:58 pm Reply with quote
This is gonna look very NIIIIIIICE on BD,
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I may have to double dip for this. I already have the anime legends sets.

Also, I kinda forgot Norn9 even existed.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:40 pm Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:
Deffinetly picking up The Big O. I've been waiting for it for quite sometime.

so am i but the real question is how the hell did they even get big o in the first place??? sure bandai ent is no more but the series just like with IGPX (immortal grand prix ) is basically products of cartoon network / toonami since they shelved out the money to have those two series produced.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3