• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fairy Tail Manga Is Already in 'Last Arc,' 60 Million Copies in Print

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:38 am Reply with quote
I've heard people mention a lot the current arc feels like it's the last... I didn't want them to be right, but I guess it's true after all.
I haven't read the manga yet, but I am a big fan of the anime. It's one of those series I can't get enough of and I honestly don't want to see it go.

Hoping the ending will be awesome.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lopezz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:18 am Reply with quote
Final of final battle is here = end of manga.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:39 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Well, I guess at the end of the day, the only definitive information I can take away from this thread is that people who think that "Fairy Tail used to be good but now it sucks" can't seem to agree on when Fairy Tail started to suck.

Thats not completely true. Even the most hardcore fans will tell you the quality started dipping after the first timeskip.
CyberLance

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:27 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Well, I guess at the end of the day, the only definitive information I can take away from this thread is that people who think that "Fairy Tail used to be good but now it sucks" can't seem to agree on when Fairy Tail started to suck.

Thats not completely true. Even the most hardcore fans will tell you the quality started dipping after the first timeskip.

Fairy Tail is just as great now as it has always been to me and in my opinion the people that hate on Fairy Tail all the time are just really exaggerating and i think many are just doing it because its a popular thing right now and they want to be part of the crowd.

Fairy Tail is not perfect and yea there are some moments i wish could have been done differently but a few fights and other stuff that could have been done better does not turn the entire freaking series into garbage.

Seriously many people seems to demand perfection and once a couple things happen that people dont like it often turns entire story arcs and entire mangas and animes bad.
Its just like when everybody really enjoyed the Zamazu arc in Dragon Ball Super but once Trunks defeated Zamazu with his sword it made the entire arc terrible.
Many people said that One Piece was not good anymore during the Fishmen sland arc only because the villains were weak, People said the entire Naruto series sucked only because they did not like the stuff with Obito and Kaguya, The Seven Deadly Sins was terrible when a couple of the 10 commandments were defeated in ways people did not like and many are saying that Magi is now bad because they dont like the stuff with Sinbad becoming a god.
I even saw many people say that Hunter x Hunter now sucked because they did not like the way Hisoka survived his fight with Chrollo.

There are many things about the way Avatar The Last Airbender ended that i hated but it did not turn the entire series bad for me.

Fairy Tail is an awesome and wonderful series in my opinion with a a good and enjoyable story, extremely lovable characters, very funny comedy, a very fun and enjoyable atmosphere and way more and most of the fights in the series are great to me.
Fairy Tail is my second favorite anime and manga ever and it got the story and characters i love and enjoy the second most after One Piece and its also the series that feels the second most enjoyable and fun to watch and read to me.
Again its not perfect but non of the other shounens are perfect either and theres way more positive and good things about Fairy Tail than bad to me.

I really hope the stuff about this being the last arc is just a mistake or a bad translation because i really love Fairy Tail and i want it to get many more arcs before it ends.
There is a bunch of stuff that needs to be finished before its over that i dont think will get done in thiis arc and im not really getting the feeling that we are close to the end of the series like when Naruto, Bleach, Toriko and Magi got to there final arcs.
In most of these shounens new big villains eventually shows up and replaces the old ones so that could happen after they defeat Zeref or maybe it will only focus on Acnologia after this arc.

Also when Naruto, Bleach and Magi got to there final arcs the authors officially announced that the mangas were going to end but Hiro Mashima has not done that.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:55 am Reply with quote
Let's just hope Mashima has taken a lesson on how to wrap up a series, unlike spoiler[how Kubo did with Bleach].
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TokyoSplash

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:06 am Reply with quote
CyberLance wrote:

Fairy Tail is just as great now as it has always been to me and in my opinion the people that hate on Fairy Tail all the time are just really exaggerating and i think many are just doing it because its a popular thing right now and they want to be part of the crowd.

Fairy Tail is not perfect and yea there are some moments i wish could have been done differently but a few fights and other stuff that could have been done better does not turn the entire freaking series into garbage.

Seriously many people seems to demand perfection and once a couple things happen that people dont like it often turns entire story arcs and entire mangas and animes bad.
Its just like when everybody really enjoyed the Zamazu arc in Dragon Ball Super but once Trunks defeated Zamazu with his sword it made the entire arc terrible.
Many people said that One Piece was not good anymore during the Fishmen sland arc only because the villains were weak, People said the entire Naruto series sucked only because they did not like the stuff with Obito and Kaguya, The Seven Deadly Sins was terrible when a couple of the 10 commandments were defeated in ways people did not like and many are saying that Magi is now bad because they dont like the stuff with Sinbad becoming a god.
I even saw many people say that Hunter x Hunter now sucked because they did not like the way Hisoka survived his fight with Chrollo.

There are many things about the way Avatar The Last Airbender ended that i hated but it did not turn the entire series bad for me.

Fairy Tail is an awesome and wonderful series in my opinion with a a good and enjoyable story, extremely lovable characters, very funny comedy, a very fun and enjoyable atmosphere and way more and most of the fights in the series are great to me.
Fairy Tail is my second favorite anime and manga ever and it got the story and characters i love and enjoy the second most after One Piece and its also the series that feels the second most enjoyable and fun to watch and read to me.
Again its not perfect but non of the other shounens are perfect either and theres way more positive and good things about Fairy Tail than bad to me.

I really hope the stuff about this being the last arc is just a mistake or a bad translation because i really love Fairy Tail and i want it to get many more arcs before it ends.
There is a bunch of stuff that needs to be finished before its over that i dont think will get done in thiis arc and im not really getting the feeling that we are close to the end of the series like when Naruto, Bleach, Toriko and Magi got to there final arcs.
In most of these shounens new big villains eventually shows up and replaces the old ones so that could happen after they defeat Zeref or maybe it will only focus on Acnologia after this arc.

Also when Naruto, Bleach and Magi got to there final arcs the authors officially announced that the mangas were going to end but Hiro Mashima has not done that.
Right there with you CyberLance.

Fairy Tail is in my top 5 ever and I enjoy it as immensely now as I did when it first started. I'd love to see it continue past this arc. I love it for all the reasons you named and then probably some.

People that continue to bag on it, I always like to think, had their own expectations for it and need to get over it. If something doesn't go their way, instead of just dropping the series and never looking back like any reasonable human being would do, they must continue to try to belittle the series for everything it's worth. Searching feverishly for others to join them and share in their distaste of FT at all costs. Even if they enjoyed some parts of it say before the timeskips. We all know Fairy Tail haters are scummy and really corny in that sense.

In the end, it doesn't really matter. Fairy Tail is a successful manga and adhered to its target audience enough to consider it a success. I mean, let's just look at the second half of the article and the title, am I right? Fairy Tail brought great fluff and was very refreshing IMO. To each his own. Can't stress it enough.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:10 am Reply with quote
CyberLance wrote:

I strongly disagree and i say that as a longtime fan that still loves the series (it got me full dive back into anime/manga after I had fallen off for a few years).

In the cases you mentioned that was almost always people saying that the specific arc or moment was bad, not the series as a whole (though in the case of HxH i think it sucks because Togashi clearly doesn't want to finish it, but that's for another thread). Fairy Tail has had consistently average to outright bad arcs for a while now and that pains me to say, because I've seen it do much better.

GMG/Eclipse was abyssmal, easily the worst imo.
Sun Village was average.
Tartaros had some shining moments but fell flat near the end
And this current arc started decent enough but fell to hell before the halfway point. Plot holes, character inconsistencies, retcons, fake out deaths, meaningless fights, spoiler[IRENE]

You can tell in interviews that Mashima is flying by the seat of his pants most of the time and just puts whatever to paper.

Now I can't completely fault the man because in the end the series does sell (as clearly evidenced by the title of the article), but that doesn't mean it's all good.

Hell, a good majority of the fandom is more worried about their ship will be getting a moment than actual cohesive storytelling.
Encore22

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:45 am Reply with quote
Let's hope Mashima follows his true calling and goes into making Hentai, lol.

I have a pretty high threshhold for tolerating bullshit, but fairytail is about 10 times as annoying as i can handle. Today I'm literally skimming through each chaper in 20-30 seconds and still understand what is going on, it's gotten that shallow :S.
Baggie_Saiyan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:00 am Reply with quote
I guess this why the 3rd anime hasn't been announced yet?
immblueversion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:19 am Reply with quote
ssj1236 wrote:

It says chapter not arc.......
10 years since the beginning of the series - The story that Hiroshi Mashima continued is seeking a magnificent climax! FAIRY TAIL The final chapter of the event starts from here !! A new story of the popular comic "FAIRY TAIL" serialized in "Weekly Shonen Magazine" is engraved on the screen. "FAIRY TAIL" which serialization began in 2006 was loved by a wide range of age groups, TV anime was broadcasted for a long term of 277 episodes, and also received high evaluation from overseas, cumulative worldwide circulation of 60 million It became a big best seller exceeding department. And this theatrical version is an original story created based on the whole body name spanning about 200 pages autographed by original author Hiromu Mashima himself. Set in the solitary island · Stella kingdom surrounded by cliffs, in addition to familiar members of Natsu and Lucy, attractive theatrical version original characters color the screen. The original works in the series already entered the final chapter! While excitement and excitement are accelerating, thatoriginrootsIs finally revealed on the screen !?

Well that gives me some hope that the store is in its last phase meaning there might still be an arc or sub arc within this arc.

You do realize "arc" is primarily an Americanized translation of what Japanese writers refer to as "chapters", right?
Ulinox

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:26 am Reply with quote
Shonen mangas ending left and right, only proves to show that One Piece is the one and only king of shonen. Fairy Tail should have ended ages ago, though, it's Naruto final war levels of slow at this point.
Baggie_Saiyan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Ulinox wrote:
Shonen mangas ending left and right, only proves to show that One Piece is the one and only king of shonen. Fairy Tail should have ended ages ago, though, it's Naruto final war levels of slow at this point.

Your entire post is confusing it's ending on it's own fruition not getting cancelled. Then your complaining it should have ended a while ago whilst simultaneously praising OP for it still going. I don't really see how other Manga coming to an end makes OP the one true king of shonen at all.
romanmack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Ulinox wrote:

Your entire post is confusing it's ending on it's own fruition not getting cancelled. Then your complaining it should have ended a while ago whilst simultaneously praising OP for it still going. I don't really see how other Manga coming to an end makes OP the one true king of shonen at all.

It's the king (well in mine and many other opinions, anyway) because it's still a quality series and highly regarded even after the years and years of publication.

Most shonen series, FT included, turn to redundant crap eventually and are just rolling it's wheels. OP, although it's had up-and-down moments, it's usually considered to still be good, even at this point. Which is an amazing feat considering how long it is. It's never truly gone to shit (by internet reputation, anyway) like Naruto, Bleach, FT and many others have.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:51 pm Reply with quote
romanmack wrote:
It's the king (well in mine and many other opinions, anyway) because it's still a quality series and highly regarded even after the years and years of publication.

I'm glad you like your pirate comic book, but Sanzae-san has been on the air since 1969, and you don't see its fans gloating about it every time some other comedy anime ends. You're not doing your fandom any favors here.
UltScorpion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm not really shocked by this considering that when I was reading the manga for a bit, It did seem like it was heading towards its conclusion.

The thing is that while I used to like Fairy Tail, It was around the Grand Magic Games arc is when it began to lose me and I started to see the flaws that made people hate series(also fudge Minerva). After that, The later arcs were average even if more annoying moments kept happening. But once the Alvarez Empire arc hit, I just saw the signs that this might be the final arc and I was less interested in seeing how the story will play out now and more interested in seeing it finally end as it kept dragging on and on along with some dumb or pointless plot points that kept popping up that I ultimately dropped it around Chapter 508.

I mean I hold no ill will toward this series like I do with AGK or Baka+Test but I really feel like I've gotten all the enjoyment that I could find in the series now and I see little reason to continue. In fact, I sometimes wonder if this is how Bleach fans feel with their series. But now that they confirmed that it's ending soon, I might check back on the series a little just to see how it concludes it story but not enough to undrop the series though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4