• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Haruhi Suzumiya Website

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gage

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Wait wait! Is everyone seeing what I am. Just basically the message, visitor stats, and the picture? There really is not any information, just what I described correct?
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Kuroro IX wrote:
Did you guys read the editor's note? Fans wouldn't pay for advertising just for a prank.

Yes of course I did.

And actually, I think some fans would. And in fact, they have done in the past. Not for an anime site, but it has happened. That's why I was hoping for something a little more concrete. It does NOT mean I don't actually read the announcements, or the editor's notes.
But ANYway, I certainly don't want to spoil any joy with unpleasantness, so lets focus on the good things, shall we? Smile

I am over the moon about this news, and eagerly anticipate the official announcement. The 22nd can't come soon enough! *bounces excitedly*
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:21 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
As is mentioned in other places, it is encoded in EUC-JIS and comes out as
Quote:
禁則事項は12月22日に公表します。

when properly decoded.

Thanks! No wonder it's useless to decode it with Shift-JIS....

This sentence is so Mikuru-ish. Laughing Furthermore, using Japanese remarks within the HTML source code (most Internet users don't even know how to read them, not to mention decoding/translating them from EUC-JIS) is not a common practice of US licensors. I'd speculate that Kadokawa Pictures USA is involved, just like what they did for Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid -- IF the website is official and not a prank.

Last edited by dormcat on Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Nebs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:22 pm Reply with quote
The article says it's being advertised on ANN as well, but exactly WHERE is this advertising on the site at? I couldn't see any anywhere. Confused

Storm Princess wrote:
Somethings telling me this is a big joke...I mean for one I don't think anything official would have a hit counter out in the open like that.

The page is mimicking the Japanese version of the page, which also has a hit counter. Although that counter is fake. As someone else said, it's supposed to be like the SOS Brigade website that's seen in the anime, which does in fact have a counter.

Gage wrote:
And further more, we only known about the website for what 30 minutes or so and every other anime site is JUST now advertising it and yet there has been over 900 visitors? Yeah something is not right.

Actually, AnimeOnDVD has been advertising the page on their site since early this morning, & was how I first found out. Webmaster Chris Beverage has pointed out on their forum that he does know more than he's letting on, & I trust he knows what he's talking about. He wouldn't put something like that on the front page if it wasn't trustworthy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
omnistry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:32 pm Reply with quote
**does the SOS Dance**

I had a feeling something was bound to be announced by the end of this year.

The site does seem official. Wouldn't it be cool if they had a place to sign up for the SOS Club on the site?
seichan80

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:43 pm Reply with quote
First I thought it was fake, but reading other replies, I have to agree with those who think that they've released the psuedo-fake website as a ploy to build up the hype...sooo it's just a matter of who it is licensed to.
IvoryBirch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Gage wrote:
Yeah I just checked it out and there really is, like stated, nothing official about the website. This could be leading to something big, who knows? And further more, we only known about the website for what 30 minutes or so and every other anime site is JUST now advertising it and yet there has been over 900 visitors? Yeah something is not right.

Guess we'll have to see on December 22nd. Smile

The site was up for several hours before ANN posted about it (and speculated about on a variety of forums).
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:44 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
**does the SOS Dance**

I had a feeling something was bound to be announced by the end of this year.

The site does seem official. Wouldn't it be cool if they had a place to sign up for the SOS Club on the site?

*joins omni in the celebratory Para Para* Very Happy

I really do hope there will be a club we can join. I don't know what it would entail, but official cards and our rank in the brigade seem like a distinct possibilty. Although would only the first few members be granted the title of Ultra-Director? ; -)
It would be such a fun idea regardless. Smile
Meccanica

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Feels pretty official to me. Wasn't the Japanese Haruhi website made to look like a high school club's site, like in the show?

That's true. Supposing it's for real, I would further suppose that the date there (Dec. 22, 2006) is when they will make the official announcement? I really can't decide if this is credible or not, though.

I hope they only go for 3 or 4 dvd's, though. Japan got seven, which is just plain too many, considering that's 2 episodes a pop.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Nebs wrote:
The article says it's being advertised on ANN as well, but exactly WHERE is this advertising on the site at? I couldn't see any anywhere. Confused

The ads aren't up yet; I believe they're supposed to be up tonight.

Quote:
Webmaster Chris Beverage has pointed out on their forum that he does know more than he's letting on, & I trust he knows what he's talking about. He wouldn't put something like that on the front page if it wasn't trustworthy.

Many of us in the press know more about this than we're letting on.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Meccanica wrote:
I hope they only go for 3 or 4 dvd's, though. Japan got seven, which is just plain too many, considering that's 2 episodes a pop.

Eight DVDs in fact; you forgot to count Episode00.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Many of us in the press know more about this than we're letting on.
Can we take that as a "yes it's official but only unofficially?"

Man, I want to jump up a do a happy dance but my inner paranoid wants to believe it's all a horrible joke. Please let this be a sign of true licensing and not some twisted human's practical joke.
Meccanica

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:59 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Meccanica wrote:

I wasn't sure- was 'episode 00' only released on it's own disc? Man, that means the last one probably had only one ep on it. Those poor exploited Japanese people.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Meccanica wrote:
dormcat wrote:
Meccanica wrote:

I wasn't sure- was 'episode 00' only released on it's own disc? Man, that means the last one probably had only one ep on it. Those poor exploited Japanese people.

It's entirely their fault for putting up with it for so long.
Kiba17

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Meccanica wrote:
dormcat wrote:
Meccanica wrote:

It's entirely their fault for putting up with it for so long.

That's true, I'm not sure how I could live with only 1 or 2 episodes per disc especially with a show like Haruhi
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 27