• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Report: 2.5 Million Funimation Accounts Compromised in Data Breach

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myamine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:53 am Reply with quote
Damn, I should have tipped off AAN about this way back when I found out about it. It was back in August when I found out the database was freshly dumped. If I remember correctly, the database contained emails, passwords(to some accounts), ip address, last login, usernames, and birthdays. Not sure exactly as I didn't see the raw dump. I just used Leaked Source and found my free account there.

I did email them, however, they just told me they were "looking into it".
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:20 am Reply with quote
Just Funimation, continuing to be one of the worst anime companies in the west. Laughing
Levonr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:40 am Reply with quote
I can't change my password. Its 7 characters and when I enter current in order to change it says "A password must be 8 characters.". Resetting through e-mail doesn't work, it just sends me to the same issue. Abandoning that account...
darkdeath174

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:33 am Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
I can't change my password. Its 7 characters and when I enter current in order to change it says "A password must be 8 characters.". Resetting through e-mail doesn't work, it just sends me to the same issue. Abandoning that account...

Just make a support ticket and wait 4-6 days for them to get back to you. That's what I'm doing.
curtisd88

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:04 am Reply with quote
nagpo wrote:
Honestly if you're still using streaming services you deserve this

That logic makes absolutely zero sense
mgosdin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:13 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen anyone mention it, but I do believe that there are regulations - Federal & some States - regarding notification when a data breach occurs. Funimation should have contacted the impacted users as soon as they became aware of the breach. I had an account with them several years ago, but I canceled it.

Mark Gosdin
wastrel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:47 am Reply with quote
Well, my info was breached too. Fortunately I use a password manager, so no two passwords are the same, and I never give any site my real birthday.

Note that I only purchased items from their store, I never subscribed to their streaming service. I just mention that to make more clear what data was breached.

I'd already put Funimation on my 'never order from again' list due to their truly execrable customer service. But if they have a data breach and don't bother to tell their affected customers, I won't even be buying their stuff from other retailers.

Edit: and thanks, ANN, for letting us know. There are some aspects of ANN that I really don't like, but this sort of thing y'all do well. Credit where credit is due.
Peebs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:00 am Reply with quote
I haven't received any e-mails from Funimation in months. Ever since the stopped streaming subs and my paid account was useless I haven't been back and the annoying e-mails from them stopped too. Blessing in disguise? I've yet to see if I've been pwned, but whatever password I was using on their crappy site was a temporary one anyway.

Them not replying to ANN's request for comment is indicative of how they run things. Smile
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:19 am Reply with quote
darkdeath174 wrote:
Яeverse wrote:
When Funi refreshed their site last month or so, we were prompted to change our passwords.

So this breach may be a non issue since I dont think anyone could still be using the old passwords that would have been compromised.

Huh... I wasn't asked to change mine.

I also just found another new glitch/bug with their new site. I can't changed my password, as it says my current one needs to be 8 characters and it's only 7. Well, time to make the 6th support ticket this month. This new site, what a masterpiece.

I wasn't prompted either. When I tried to change it now, it wouldn't let me do it through my account. What worked was going through the "Forgot Password" steps.

I would guess that they haven't replied to ANN yet because they are trying to consider what to say, and might even be attempting to determine the extent of the problem. If the breach was known months ago, then why no announcement? If they only now found out, then how did they miss it? Neither situation is good.

I haven't noticed any suspicious activity, but I changed the password anyway. Honestly, when I was coming up with my old password, I decided that it would be the strongest one I have because of any online service I use, Funimation seemed the most likely to have a problem.

Last edited by Greed1914 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:27 am Reply with quote
Must have been to dastardly Russians.

Or...was it the Chinese?

No! The North Koreans.

The Mossad.

Laughing
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:45 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
EDIT. Nvm, sounds like it was just usernames/emails. Bad, but nothing to panic about.

Birthdates and passwords also, true nothing to panic about. Panic is never a good option. But you should take some actions to ensure that other aspects of your life are not being hacked because of the release of your personal information.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Vannil wrote:
Frankly, funimation should've released a press release about the breach and should take hell for not telling their subscribers about it earlier and at least tell them to change their passwords immediately. That's like basic PR and simply inexcusable and will just hurt their brand in the long run.

In some areas at least, (i thought it was everywhere but I guess not) it's outright illegal for them to not alert people if their data was possibly exposed.
D00dleB0Y

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:24 pm Reply with quote
old news. i knew about this in august.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:55 pm Reply with quote
D00dleB0Y wrote:
old news. i knew about this in august.

Well, it's the first time that I, and apparently several others who commented, are hearing of it, so I appreciate this "old news."
Vannil

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:04 pm Reply with quote
TnKtRk wrote:
Must have been to dastardly Russians.

Or...was it the Chinese?

No! The North Koreans.

The Mossad.

Laughing

The Spanish Inquisition! Nobody expects them
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4