• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Film Introduces Characters in 'Motion Posters'

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FtKaru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ladriya

Who?
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:53 pm Reply with quote
FtKaru wrote:
Quote:
Ladriya

Who?

Someone they made up I guess, probably so the Major wouldn't be the only woman on the team. Maybe she's expendable?

Sadly no Saito?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Batou simply looks like Charlie Brooker with Coraline eyes, I say. Perhaps unintentionally, this resemblance could work to the film's slight benefit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KSweeley

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering when will Johansson's character name will be updated, according to this book on Amazon, Johansson's character isn't just "The Major" it's Major spoiler[Mira Killian]: https://www.amazon.com/Art-Ghost-Shell-David-Cohen/dp/1683830008/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488321914&sr=8-1&keywords=art+of+ghost+in+the+shell

Description of this book:

Quote:

Discover the incredible art behind Ghost in the Shell, the much-anticipated sci-fi thriller starring Scarlett Johansson.

Discover the incredible artwork behind the creation of Ghost in the Shell, the much-anticipated live-action film that brings to life the adventures of cybernetic detective Major spoiler[Mira Killian] and her crack cyberterrorism squad, Section 9. Directed by Rupert Sanders and starring Scarlett Johansson as the Major, the film required the creation of a unique futuristic world where the vast majority of the population has had their bodies augmented with cybernetic enhancements. Working with the award-winning Weta Workshop, Sanders and his team designed every aspect of this startling new world, from cityscapes filled with holograms the size of skyscrapers to robotic geishas, futuristic weaponry, and bionic limbs. This deluxe book reveals the full creative journey behind Ghost in the Shell through interviews with the cast and crew and a wealth of incredible never-before-seen art that showcases the amazing vision that brought the film to the screen.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I like how they put Togusa's revolver in the shot.

I have no idea who Ladriya is though.

Missing Pazu and Saito. Though, I think one of them (most likely Saito) was meant to be shown, but they accidentally double posted Borma instead.

Either way, I like the costume designs. Even for Ishikawa and Borma, despite looking way different from how they are portrayed in the source material, they still have their defining characteristics. Ishikawa, for example, with the scruffy hair and beard.

KSweeley wrote:
I'm wondering when will Johansson's character name will be updated, according to this book on Amazon, Johansson's character isn't just "The Major" it's Major spoiler[Mira Killian]

I really hope that isn't true. Or, if it is, it's just a code name. Because it just panders to those ignorant morons who were crying about white-washing. Despite her name being "Motoko Kusanagi," she isn't explicitly Japanese in the source material. In fact, her name isn't even her given name, so it has absolutely nothing to do with ethnicity.

Hell, even if she WAS born Japanese, the fact that she is a cyborg in a prosthetic body means she can look however the heck she wants to. There was even a point in the anime where she was a male soldier...
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:09 am Reply with quote
Yeah, they kept every other character's Japanese names, even if the actors aren't Japanese. It'd be weird if they changed the Major's name and hers alone. (I think it's pretty neat that they kept everyone's names, but so many of these posters involve the character taking out a gun and pointing it at the camera.)
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:11 am Reply with quote
The name change pretty much puts the nail in the coffin of the people who say it isn't whitewashing, though.
russ869

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:25 am Reply with quote
I'm just sad Togusa doesn't have a mullet.
rabrek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:04 am Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
Missing Pazu and Saito. Though, I think one of them (most likely Saito) was meant to be shown, but they accidentally double posted Borma instead.

Saito: https://twitter.com/GhostInShell/status/836262129955037185
No Pazu on the Twitter account.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1