• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Contest Held to Design Hatsune Miku U.S. Version

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Trying to make a tasteful design with red, white, and blue is like trying to make a red-and-green outfit that doesn't remind you of christmas. I see some interesting methods of trying to make it all blend well.

Hilarious, I love it.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:23 pm Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
American, huh? Well, if this were an anime... She'd be a high school exchange student who transfered to Japan (with or without a rich or Japanese parent who worked in int. business as the CEO of some multinational corp.), spoke, read and wrote perfect Japanese, and understood all the local customs, despite having never lived in Japan before.

She also lives in a re-donk-ulously sized mansion/estate by herself, with only her butler and servants for company. And she rarely sees her parents who work all the time, yet strangely don't work or live in Japan.

As for looks, she'd be your Asian stereotype of the ideal Texan or California Barbie: a Big Busted, Blonde Bombshell with long legs and long blonde hair and blue eyes (did I mention the large boobs?) who's possibly "rude" (by Japanese standards of decorum and polite society), but most definitely brash, brazen and boisterous.

Oh, and she has an English or European first name with a distinctly Japanese last name.

This is....actually pretty awesome.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:52 am Reply with quote
DarkHunter6523 wrote:
Clearly we need a manly Miku in order to appeal to our American aesthetics!

That's what real girls look like, dude. Girls have some muscles too! Laughing

Sailor S wrote:
Makar wrote:
Why do we need a U.S Version? -_-

Because the US couldn't possibly understand or appreciate anything that came out of Japan. She needs to have DDD sized boobs and have the face of such hideous hags as Cameron Diaz or Julia Roberts before we could ever think she's attractive.

Methinks you've been watching too much anime since that's no different from the anime interpretation of Americans! Razz
Racheldoublemm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:53 am Reply with quote
I can't help but think that a brunette and inspired by Jem creation would be in store. If done right there could be a very good design and outcome.

Why the hell did it take a contest to finally post a damn date for the J-pop summit!?
I've been trying to figure out when it was being held since February.

I wonder what the 'special prize' for residents will be. I hope the top favorites or all submissions will be posted in a gallery on the New People website. I'd love to see all the different versions.

I am so damn excited for the Summit!
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:36 am Reply with quote
we have definite winrar right here:
http://piapro.jp/t/m4tA

Laughing Razz Shocked

enurtsol wrote:
DarkHunter6523 wrote:

Interestingly I was talking to a female colleague about this recently and she and apparently others, who are already slim, mind you, were very conscious about avoiding any muscular appearance. Consequently we touched upon cultural differences a bit
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:43 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

enurtsol wrote:
DarkHunter6523 wrote:

Interestingly I was talking to a female colleague about this recently and she and apparently others, who are already slim, mind you, were very conscious about avoiding any muscular appearance. Consequently we touched upon cultural differences a bit

Maybe ya got something there.

Ask her about the US First Lady. She's famous for going sleeveless. Smile
Beni_Hime

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:16 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
we have definite winrar right here:
http://piapro.jp/t/m4tA
LOL... that's pretty good.

Anyway... Why??? Why do they need someone to "americanize" her? Why? She became popular looking the way she does... Everyone over here has fallen in love with that cute little visage. Why change it? DUMB.
Mad
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:44 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Because the US couldn't possibly understand or appreciate anything that came out of Japan.

Perhaps you should contain your ignorance to a 10 cm radius rather than trying to spew your disgust worldwide. You're just not ready for an audience on par with Miku.

Getting back to topic, this seems like a contest which will take the current Miku and "doll it up" for an American appearance. Nothing wrong with that, because I've seen Americans dress up in Japanese cultural attire while boasting their next big movie/event.

It could be worse.
How quickly people forget
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:50 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
It could be worse.
How quickly people forget

It could be a lot worse, actually.
You can thank Rob Bricken for that video.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:09 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
It could be a lot worse, actually.

Gee, thanks for that. Now I have to clean up the breakfast I just ate before seeing it.
Anime hyper
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:13 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

Getting back to topic, this seems like a contest which will take the current Miku and "doll it up" for an American appearance. Nothing wrong with that, because I've seen Americans dress up in Japanese cultural attire while boasting their next big movie/event.

A Japanese dolling up Tinker Bell... Seems everybody's dolling up lately.... Laughing
gwdone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:08 am Reply with quote
Oh no,,, american marketing heads listen up... We don't want a Brittney Hatsune, nor a Miku Cyrus!!!! Keep it authentic -- well that's america and marketing for you...
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:18 am Reply with quote
I don't really see the need for a new design, but I really love this!

i'm kind of disappointed by all this u.s.-bashing here though... is it sarcasm? because i'm afraid i can't tell.
PBsallad

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:01 am Reply with quote
Sakura-Alchemist wrote:
did any of you even look at the entries? >__> it looks like it's just a costume design contest to give her a US look... lol every one in japan thinks Americans where cow boy boots though xD them entries. I don't see anything wrong with that.

CareyGrant wrote:

As for looks, she'd be your Asian stereotype of the ideal Texan or California Barbie: a Big Busted, Blonde Bombshell with long legs and long blonde hair and blue eyes (did I mention the large boobs?) who's possibly "rude" (by Japanese standards of decorum and polite society), but most definitely brash, brazen and boisterous.

Oh, and she has an English or European first name with a distinctly Japanese last name.

Some of the entries have her with blonde hair. lol

Personally I think the current look for Miku could work here. But I like this contest and see nothing wrong with making a US version of her. Everyone who's bitching about this needs to chill.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:04 pm Reply with quote
PBsallad wrote:

Some of the entries have her with blonde hair. lol

Some Japanese do love to bleach their hair. And Miku already wears skimpier outfits than Brittney or Miley. They're already whoring her out in Japan. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4