• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Viz Media Senior Director: 'Another Season of Tokyo Ghoul Coming Shortly'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diamoundheadx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:25 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Either reboot it or start off from after when Kaneki went missing. Either way ignore the piece of shit that was season 2. Freaking 10 minute slow walk as an ending? IMBECILES!

oh please you are over reacting
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
No discussion about the interview itself? It was very interesting! Some key points Mr. Hamric made:
Barnes & Nobles buy-2-get-1-free manga sale that ran from December 2016 to January 2017 was the best that they'd ever had and the best that Viz has had with the retailer;
Manga sales have been "soft" in the United States in January and February this year. Mr. Hamric attributes this to the political climate and says that sales in other countries (including India, and I didn't know Viz published/sold manga in India!) have been strong;
Viz is releasing Hirohiko Araki's book "Manga in Theory and Practice" this September;
Viz considers their new Yuri titles to be aimed at the shojo demographic (I assume they'll be marketing them to women and teen girls as shojo titles, which is interesting).
Nothing groundbreaking, but behind the scenes manga business info is fascinating.
I'm glad that the last sale with B&N went well for Viz! I can say for sure I helped a bit with that, since a lot of what I purchased during this last sale was Viz. I actually hope that maybe they'll try to do this sale again sometime during the summer, since I'm not relying too heavily on the con I'm going to having a decent manga dealer (last year, they only had two dealers with manga, and even then it was a small fraction of what one dealer had in the year prior; can't help but be a little upset about it since the largest majority of what I buy at cons are manga). Also interesting on how they're marketing yuri titles at the shojo demographic more so than the josei demographic, but I'm not going to complain since I stick to both.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Barnes & Noble usually runs that manga sale about twice a year, June/July 2017 sounds about right. Target did a similar sale just a couple of weeks ago, except they included BD/DVDs and games in the deal. Target.com has a pretty big selection of manga at prices that tend to be lower than Barnes & Noble and Amazon, so their sales are especially worthwhile, keep an eye out for those, too.

I've always thought of yuri as a niche seinen demographic (and occasionally josei), so I was very surprised to read that Viz considers them shojo, and feels their audience corresponds with their Boy's Love/yaoi titles audience.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:46 am Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:
Considering there has not been any such announcement from the Japanese side, if it's true, I would worry for the guy who flubbed since I'm quite sure the Japanese would not be happy about the news getting out before the planned announcement date.

Even though it is was confirmed that rep misspoke, he certainly has lowered his credibility (and perhaps Viz's as well). This is why such announcements should come from the Japanese rights holders first.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4