• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vice & Luna - 2/28/2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
What I appreciate most about how this comic is being presented is that, at least in my opinion, a few years ago Luna's attitude was reflective of ANN as a whole. The preview guides would mostly lambast any fanservice heavy show, one reviewer going so far to say that anyone who liked a certain show (I believe it was High School DxD) lacked taste. They even had to pull in an outside reviewer to do the first season of Strike Witches because none of them could look past the pants thing to judge the show's merits.

Happily ANN these days feels much more tolerant and open. The old ANN would never give something like Keijo more than a dismissive sneer but it got streaming reviews which were largely positive.

Which reviewers are you talking about with all this? Because I'm not sure this comics' writers' critical approaches have changed that much over the past few years, and two of the five previewers for Keijo rated it below a 3. (Zac didn't review episode 1; Jacob gave it a joke rating.) And the episode reviews were written by Theron, who's pretty much always been Theron AFAICT -- he did all the DxD reviews, streaming and disc, since you brought that show up.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:32 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Which reviewers are you talking about with all this? Because I'm not sure this comics' writers' critical approaches have changed that much over the past few years

I believe he wasn't talking about old Zac, but about VERY old Zac. In the days of yonder, Zac and a few others on ANN were quite dismissive of fanservice shows and anyone who liked them. I'm talking about a time very long ago, and Zac has since mended his way as well as appologized for acting that way.

Though to be honest, even if he was targeting me, since I am a heavy fanservice lover, it as still a blast to read/listen to his stuff. I miss those old end of year ann casts...

You guys should do a best 10 of 2010s, like you did for the 80s, 90s and 00s.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:05 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I believe he wasn't talking about old Zac, but about VERY old Zac. In the days of yonder, Zac and a few others on ANN were quite dismissive of fanservice shows and anyone who liked them. I'm talking about a time very long ago, and Zac has since mended his way as well as appologized for acting that way.

I know Zac's taste has changed over the years, but Vaisaga specifically referenced High School DxD (winter 2012) and Strike Witches (2010). Is that roughly the time period you're talking about?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Well I didn't name Zac specifically, just talking about what appeared to be the overall attitude towards such things the site had in general. Those two examples were what stuck out in my mind more. I even recall a few Strike Witches news articles having a condescending tone when talking about the show. Specifically it brought up the lack of pants thing in the plot summary despite the pants thing having absolutely no relevance to the story. By calling attention to it when there was no reason to made it come off as they were never going to let it off the hook for that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2