• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Anime Enters Anime-Original Arc Starting on March 19

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:38 am Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:
ultimatehaki wrote:
The dumb part about this is that they don't even need a filler arc. If they just animate the short stories that appear at the beginning of each chapter like they used to that would be more than enough to space out the anime from the manga.

And the filler has been boring since the G-8 arc, that was the last good one.

The solution isn't the cover stories, that gets you 10 episodes at best, you need an honest Filler Arc that gives you a couple months of leeway. Also FIller can be good, you yourself praised G-8, one of two decent to good fillers in One Piece, the other being the Ice hunters.

All the short stories right now could easily get them 5-6 months. if they want to screw with the pacing on that fine, half a year could easily be squeezed from all the ones that has passed so far.

I'm sorry but your crazy to think the cover stories can be turned into 24 weeks of good content. Maybe 12 but no way in hell can they be put to 24, especially when a few of them are just people reacting to bounty posters
a1anne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:07 am Reply with quote
Didn't the «One Piece is approaching the end of the Zou Arc, which premiered on July 28 in the show's 751st episode. The anime had featured a short anime-original "Silver Mine Arc" after the Dressrosa Arc ended before launching into the Zou Arc.» gives us a hint about how long the fillers will last ? I'm asking those who read manga, because i can't understand this.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:17 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
I'm sorry but your crazy to think the cover stories can be turned into 24 weeks of good content. Maybe 12 but no way in hell can they be put to 24, especially when a few of them are just people reacting to bounty posters

how can it not be? there's 10 cover stories that hasn't been animated not counting "from the decks of the world", even if you only do 2 episodes each that's already 20 episodes. With the terrible pacing this series is renowned for at this point they can definitely get 24 episodes easily.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:19 am Reply with quote
kenatsu wrote:
And people say One piece isnt full of filler... Is it just me or lately they have been taking their sweet time wasting it so that they dont catch up to the manga Evil or Very Mad

Okay, three things

1. This is possibly the first honest to god filler arc in almost 10 years. Every stretch of filler since the Ice Hunter arc has been a handful of one-shots or little arcs to promote movies. (This is, of course, assuming it's not yet again an arc short enough to fit on a single DVD volume.)

2. Oda has been taking breaks more frequently lately, so filler is basically needed now.

3. The anime is about as close to the manga as possible already. I don't think you quite understand how anime production works, it's not humanly possible to make an anime episode based on a manga chapter air the same week the manga chapter is released.
LokiReed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:32 am Reply with quote
Sounds like they're trying to recapture the successful G-8 filler. Which i'm all about. Not to mention they desperately need to widen the gap between the anime and the manga, the pacing has been god awful since Punk Hazard. And i wouldn't mind Carrot getting more screen time. lol
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:44 am Reply with quote
kenatsu wrote:
And people say One piece isnt full of filler... Is it just me or lately they have been taking their sweet time wasting it so that they dont catch up to the manga Evil or Very Mad

It's not filler, it's "anime-original story."
theNightster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:55 am Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
kenatsu wrote:

It's not filler, it's "anime-original story."
that's what anime filler is dude Rolling Eyes
polarcubby

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Fingers crossed that Kuzan makes an appearance. I'll be happy with anything, even a flashback. Although, I do hope this one can be as good as G8
NitwitsWorld

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:47 pm Reply with quote
BrainBlow wrote:
Whoa, they finally admit the anime needs a filler arc??
Well, they're four years too late to reignite my interest in the anime. But hey, this may just salvage the show for those still keeping up for whatever reason. Hopefully, it's gonna be a long one.

12-20 episodes of filler would save the anime's pacing for another 5-8 years.
Oda's work effort is crazy good, and Toei has for years been spoiled rotten by Oda putting almost enough content in each chapter to fill up an episode by itself.

A little rude in your comment, sir?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Well, thank God. I hope they keep the filler going for a while. Ideally, a year, but even half a year would do a lot of good. They need to let Oda get far in front of the anime so that the anime-story can flow naturally, instead of the excruciatingly slow pace that we've had to endure for quite some time now.

Anyway, better late then never, and let's hope they can stay on filler for a good long while.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:21 am Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:

how can it not be? there's 10 cover stories that hasn't been animated not counting "from the decks of the world", even if you only do 2 episodes each that's already 20 episodes. With the terrible pacing this series is renowned for at this point they can definitely get 24 episodes easily.

The problem with trying to do those cover stories that you're mentioning now is that they need to be animated congruently with the storyline in the anime. You can't just go back and animate something that happened during the two year timeskip, Fishman Island, or even Punk Hazard. Too much time has passed and people aren't going to be as interested. And it's not just me talking, the higher ups at Toei won't even consider those to be worth the time or money.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:27 am Reply with quote
Bummer. Guess it's time to stop watching for a bit again.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:39 am Reply with quote
Wandering Samurai wrote:
ultimatehaki wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:

The problem with trying to do those cover stories that you're mentioning now is that they need to be animated congruently with the storyline in the anime. You can't just go back and animate something that happened during the two year timeskip, Fishman Island, or even Punk Hazard.

They literally stopped the Impel down arc to show the little east blue filler arc so I doubt congruence is an issue. And I'm sure alot of people would love to see old character again especially since some of them became relevant just recently like cp9.
NitwitsWorld

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:03 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Bummer. Guess it's time to stop watching for a bit again.

Over a filler arc? Confused
kenatsu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:47 am Reply with quote
veemonjosh wrote:
kenatsu wrote:

Okay, three things

1. This is possibly the first honest to god filler arc in almost 10 years. Every stretch of filler since the Ice Hunter arc has been a handful of one-shots or little arcs to promote movies. (This is, of course, assuming it's not yet again an arc short enough to fit on a single DVD volume.)

2. Oda has been taking breaks more frequently lately, so filler is basically needed now.

3. The anime is about as close to the manga as possible already. I don't think you quite understand how anime production works, it's not humanly possible to make an anime episode based on a manga chapter air the same week the manga chapter is released.

Whoa there. I get the whole gist of it. I'm glad they're finally doing this instead of the BS that has been present for a while now where episodes are padded and the pacing is terrible. I think they know though that if the anime original story lasts too long people will tune off.[/quote]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3