• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Anime Enters Anime-Original Arc Starting on March 19

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:31 am Reply with quote
kenatsu wrote:
And people say One piece isnt full of filler... Is it just me or lately they have been taking their sweet time wasting it so that they dont catch up to the manga Evil or Very Mad

As far as filler episodes go, One Piece actually has pretty little. It'll have an arc for a lot of episodes (with a lot of padding), then a short filler arc of 2 to 5 episodes, usually tied to a movie. The Zou arc was short though, so there's no movie for this one. To my knowledge.

Wandering Samurai wrote:
You don't want to catch up to the manga. There have been quite a few anime series that I thought were great until they caught up to their manga counterparts and had to come up with some BS ending. Also, you must not have been around for the Dressrosa arc because they were practically pacing at one chapter per episode, plus adding in some filler stuff to compensate as well.

They've been doing one-chapter-one-episode since the Impel Down arc, though they've gotten better about this recently. It used to be that they would do two episodes to a chapter, and in one case in the Punk Hazard arc, three episodes to a chapter. Now, what they do is put in small filler stories, or filling in the narrative gaps that you might have forgotten in the meantime, such as that one episode about Sabo at the end of Dressrosa.

BrainBlow wrote:
12-20 episodes of filler would save the anime's pacing for another 5-8 years.
Oda's work effort is crazy good, and Toei has for years been spoiled rotten by Oda putting almost enough content in each chapter to fill up an episode by itself.

Unless you mean 12-20 episodes per year, that's not going to save the anime's pacing. Most other manga adaptations put at least 35 pages of manga to an episode, whereas One Piece is usually 18 but can dip as low as 5. Considering Toei creates a new episode almost every week, 20 episodes of filler is not going to bring roughly 200 to 250 episodes back to normal pacing.

Snakebit1995 wrote:
ultimatehaki wrote:
The dumb part about this is that they don't even need a filler arc. If they just animate the short stories that appear at the beginning of each chapter like they used to that would be more than enough to space out the anime from the manga.

And the filler has been boring since the G-8 arc, that was the last good one.

The solution isn't the cover stories, that gets you 10 episodes at best, you need an honest Filler Arc that gives you a couple months of leeway. Also FIller can be good, you yourself praised G-8, one of two decent to good fillers in One Piece, the other being the Ice hunters.

Also, Toei HAS tried it. They adapted both the Django Dance Paradise story and Buggy searching for his missing body parts, and both of them bombed in the ratings. The pattern became clear that if an episode doesn't have at least one Straw Hat crewmember in it somewhere, viewer interest sinks like a Devil Fruit user in the open ocean.

That's why they do filler stories now: While some people will tune out until the canon stories resume, enough people stick around that they don't fear cancellation like with the cover stories.

ultimatehaki wrote:
They literally stopped the Impel down arc to show the little east blue filler arc so I doubt congruence is an issue. And I'm sure alot of people would love to see old character again especially since some of them became relevant just recently like cp9.

The Little East Blue arc had the Straw Hats at roughly the level of strength and character development they had at the time. It was also used to promote Strong World which was going to come out in theaters soon and the Impel Down story wasn't going to before that.

The cover stories, on the other hand, have stories like "After getting defeated at Drum Island, Wapol makes toys and then creates steel the Marines later use," which was played out to its end in the Marineford arc; and "Ace delivers a letter to cow farmers and beats up a man he mistook for Blackbeard along the way," which would be incompatible with the current story in more ways than one. They could theoretically do this as a flashback, but they'd be directly connected to events viewers might have forgotten or was before they started watching.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:43 am Reply with quote
NitwitsWorld wrote:
NeverConvex wrote:
Bummer. Guess it's time to stop watching for a bit again.

Over a filler arc? Confused

Yep. I don't enjoy filler, so I don't watch it. Did the same thing whenever Naruto or Bleach filler cropped up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3