• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Upcoming Light Novel Ties Record for Title Length

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:13 am Reply with quote
If I was to make my own LN and knew Japanese, it would be 100 Japanese characters without spaces. The title would be pointing out how ridiculously long LN can get.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:54 am Reply with quote
Parsifal24 wrote:
The length of titles are ridiculous, but I still read some of these if only for the sheer absurdity of the premise from the titles .

Same here. Light Novels: light on the reading, heavy on the title! (Just kidding Wink)

For an isekai harem series, the title makes me think the MC is a bit of a trolling a**hole which is amusing. I'd be curious about the tone of the series based on that alone.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:01 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Long titile, but I like the premise. You finished the quest, got the girls, saved the world, and now rule it. Just that you have to keep other heroes from messing up your new world.

it's very similar to the alrayd translated "get naked!", except the get naked mc became female for his/her third loop; first loop had him struggle to save the world, second loop is the typical light/webnovel OP mc who can save the world easily, and third loop, well it's pretty crazy as it even has some feminist themes (you are not allowed to become a hero because you are female and hero is a man's job), still got eh mao/princess/himekishi harem, tho.
Brutannica

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:44 pm Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
Dear ANN staff, thank you for all your hard work.

I really felt like saying it after reading this article. It's news about minor, seemingly not important, details like these that make me feel up to date with whatever's going on in Japan.

You're welcome!
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:07 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
Long titile, but I like the premise. You finished the quest, got the girls, saved the world, and now rule it. Just that you have to keep other heroes from messing up your new world.

it's very similar to the alrayd translated "get naked!", except the get naked mc became female for his/her third loop; first loop had him struggle to save the world, second loop is the typical light/webnovel OP mc who can save the world easily, and third loop, well it's pretty crazy as it even has some feminist themes (you are not allowed to become a hero because you are female and hero is a man's job), still got eh mao/princess/himekishi harem, tho.

I never heard of this series? What's the whole title? (& is it a paragraph long?)
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I never heard of this series? What's the whole title? (& is it a paragraph long?)

What Came to Mind During My Third Time in Another World Was to for Now, Get Naked (info, mangaupdates)

If you want to read it, you'll find it on novelupdates if you google the full title. I won't provide a direct link on these forums as it's a fan translation.
GarethXL

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:34 pm Reply with quote
truth be told by this point in time the whole title thing is nothing more then the editors and author trolling.

that and a way to avoid copyright infringement
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

What Came to Mind During My Third Time in Another World Was to for Now, Get Naked (info, mangaupdates)

If you want to read it, you'll find it on novelupdates if you google the full title. I won't provide a direct link on these forums as it's a fan translation.

So someone liked the idea of the hero returning to the starting point after every bad end, but decided the third time around, the hero should have a sex change...that's...a combination of Re:Zero and Tanya?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:03 pm Reply with quote
"Maybe If I Keep Making These TItles Longer People Will Be Duped Into Thinking I Can Write Worth A Damn"
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:45 am Reply with quote
Has anyone ever made a random long light-novel title generator? They have such a similar structure to their titles that it can't be beyond someone's capacity, considering there's a Deepak Chopra random wisdom generator.

"I Can't Believe My Girlfriend Is My Teacher While Vacationing in America, and Now I Can't Use the Restroom Properly"

Silver4000 wrote:
"My Girlfriend Failed Her High School Debut and Became a Hikikomori"
"I've Already Saved This World and Taken Its Wealth and Power"

Still long, but abridged enough to acceptable terms. Seriously they have unnecessary stuff on purpose. Something like "My Girlfriend is a Hikikimori" and "I've already saved this fantasy world" would be perfect as titles, and explanatory.

Of course they have it on purpose. It comes across to me as a running joke of sorts.

Top Gun wrote:
"Maybe If I Keep Making These TItles Longer People Will Be Duped Into Thinking I Can Write Worth A Damn"

More like "Maybe If I Keep Making These Titles Longer People Will Think I'm Funny and Pay Attention to These Books While They're in a Bookstore."
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:59 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
More like "Maybe If I Keep Making These Titles Longer People Will Think I'm Funny and Pay Attention to These Books While They're in a Bookstore."

Well, if they've managed to get into articles like this, I'd think they've served their purpose quite well... /meta
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2