• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
30 Years of Kimagure Orange Road

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swissman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:09 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Swissman wrote:
I still think KOR is one of the best romance comedies with the nicest character designs. I love the music for this show as well, and all the songs are great.

Got the Singing Heart ² CD boxset. One of these days I'll get Akemi Takada's Madoka artbook.

I have both :-)

Here's my KOR collection:

The booklet on the left in the last picture is the 1st movie pamphlet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
catbot158

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:52 am Reply with quote
I was on an 80s kick this week, so seeing Madoka on the front page made me squeal!

I am a modern fan; I was one of those people who would respond to Madoka Kaname more than Madoka Ayukawa. But I'm a believer that we should look back and appreciate what came before, as without it wouldn't have the medium we have today. I've watched a small amount of 70s and 80s anime (Galaxy Express 999, Akira, etc.) and I want to watch more.

With that said, I've been watching the series, uh, under the radar, and I love it so far! The love triangle could have been annoying, but there's a style to this anime that makes it fun to watch instead. I also supported the Kickstarter for the original manga; last time it updated, they were beginning to print the volumes. I'm excited to get my copy of it!

I wish I could watch the show legally, though. The only thing that was released officially in the US is the second movie. It got an English dub...for some reason. Come on Discotek, get that license! Make it coincide with the manga release!

(Also, 1st Op = best OP.)
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:12 am Reply with quote
catbot158 wrote:
Quote:
The only thing that was released officially in the US is the second movie.

Sorry, but that is not correct. AnimEigo released the entire TV series, the OVAs and the first movie. All were Sub only. They were initially issued on VHS. Later they were issued as two box sets, one for the entire TV series and one for the OVAs and movie. They may also have released individual DVDs. They have been out of print for some time though. ADV issued the second movie.
mike.motaku

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:47 am Reply with quote
I can add nothing relevant to the discussion other than to say that KOR is one of my absolute favorite series, warts and all. It is an undying love for every part of it. So there. I have the series and the movies on DVD but would double dip in a heartbeat if everything were reissued.
catbot158

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:48 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
catbot158 wrote:
Quote:
The only thing that was released officially in the US is the second movie.

Sorry, but that is not correct. AnimEigo released the entire TV series, the OVAs and the first movie. All were Sub only. They were initially issued on VHS. Later they were issued as two box sets, one for the entire TV series and one for the OVAs and movie. They may also have released individual DVDs. They have been out of print for some time though. ADV issued the second movie.

Really, they did? I hope there are still DVDs floating around, I would definitely pick one up (though it'll probably cost a lot.)
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Check E-bay, prices are all over the place. A quick look showed one TV box set for $280. For 12 disks that is not a bad price, probably not a lot more than it cost new.

I also saw a set for over $1200 which is what I mean about prices being all over the lot.

Edit: According to the Encyclopedia here at ANN the MSRP was $239.98
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
This series needs to be revived so the people of today can watch it.

It wouldn't work. It's just like Touch, a semi-realistic love triangle doesn't work today. Today you need to have a stupid harem with no resolution at all. A spineless boy and spineless girls.
Furthermore KoR and Touch were shows with 40 and more than 100 episodes. That gives the possibility to flesh out the relationships. Can't do that in 13 episodes today.

Madoka is not a tsundere character, people that say otherwise haven't watched the tv show. It is shown she has affection for Kyousuke from the start. That never changes, in fact it progresses towards love more and more. She is NOT undecided, she's just afraid of hurting her best friend's feelings who has a crush on Kyousuke. Everytime she is harsh on Kyousuke it's because he's doing something that somehow puts Hikaru in a difficult position. Madoka is the most anti-tsundere character you can possibly have.
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Check E-bay, prices are all over the place. A quick look showed one TV box set for $280. For 12 disks that is not a bad price, probably not a lot more than it cost new.

I also saw a set for over $1200 which is what I mean about prices being all over the lot.

Edit: According to the Encyclopedia here at ANN the MSRP was $239.98

I was lucky enough to pick up the box sets back when AnimeEigo released them and IIRC, they charged $250 for the TV set, with the extra $10 going to pay for shipping.

So, finding a set for relatively the same price is a pretty good deal, especially considering how scare they are now!

And yeah, after market prices on eBay and Amazon can get ridiculous for OOP DVDs, manga, books, etc. I always look at the prices and wonder "Who would pay that?" but I guess everyone has their own limits to what they're willing to pay. I'm a huge fan of Tsukasa Hojo's City Hunter myself, and have shelled out some $$$ for some merch for that show...
zrdb

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I have all 12 of the Kimagure Orange Road dvds-they didn't cost me anything because a friend of mine bought the whole set and decided he didn't like it. Of course I had some stuff I didn't want so we called it an even trade. I think the reason why KOR is loved so much is simply because of the story it tells. But for MI the appeal for me is that once you look past all the shenanigans and comedy it tells a timeless love story of 2 hapless souls who manage to find each other despite circumstances.
one.night.bkk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I want to write some long thing, because KoR is easily my favorite series of all time, but I think everything that needs to be said has been said...
JWagnesh8

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:02 pm Reply with quote
All I can personally say is that there's something about Madoka and her long, flowing hair, that still makes her the top of my anime girls list even to this day. That looking out the window, head resting on a hand, brooding, made me wonder what waters ran beneath those sea-green eyes, still one moment and sparkling the next. Hmm. Must have channeled the novels too much.

First movie: Uuugh. That hurt. I just wanted to lie in bed and sulk after I had watched it. That heart-rending "Kotaete yo!" . . . . Much as I wanted Kyousuke and Madoka to continue their relationship, I felt sorry for Hikaru.

Second movie: "From Here into the Future" (the epilogue) was a wonderful way to finish the series. But when "Daydream (Soba ni iru yo)" starts, and that fateful staircase appears, I always get the sniffles, because it's time to leave the trio once and for all. We won't see them growing up any more, won't see (if) Madoka and Kyousuke get married and have children. We won't see who Hikaru ends up with. We won't know any more what happens to Manami and Kurumi and Takashi, or Kamatsu and Hatta. Or even Jingoro. It's a bittersweet feeling.

Music: Catchy. But best of all, Kanako Wada. God, that voice of hers was lovely. And thank you, Mami Ishizuka, for bringing Madoka as a pianist to life. The existence of Madoka's Piano Files tickles me pink--how many anime characters do you know have "published" a CD?

PS: How is Matsumoto, anyway? Anyone here a subscriber of the KOR ML?
PRIZER

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:

Madoka is not a tsundere character, people that say otherwise haven't watched the tv show. It is shown she has affection for Kyousuke from the start. That never changes, in fact it progresses towards love more and more. She is NOT undecided, she's just afraid of hurting her best friend's feelings who has a crush on Kyousuke. Everytime she is harsh on Kyousuke it's because he's doing something that somehow puts Hikaru in a difficult position. Madoka is the most anti-tsundere character you can possibly have.

There's a great review of KOR on Them Anime in which the reviewer says: "I admit, I can't produce a review that does this anime any justice. What I recommend is for you to watch this anime for yourself and decide." She gives it five stars and adds, "If I could rate it higher, I would."

However, she also says: "The neat thing about this series is that it keeps you guessing on who he's [Kyousuke] going to choose. One moment he wants to be with Hikaru, but the next, all he can think about is Ayukawa."

But as you note, nothing could be further from the truth. From the opening scene right through to the very end, it's completely clear that Kyousuke loves Madoka and that Madoka loves him. Hell, the final couple of episodes show that because of his time-traveling, spoiler[she's been carrying the torch for him since she was a little kid]; not to mention that in the very last episode, spoiler[even "alternate universe" Madoka falls for him].

For me, the bottom line on KOR is that even though it's "just" a sitcom, it's simply one of the most heartfelt works I've ever seen. Indeed, I imagine that it felt nostalgic watching it the very day it was first broadcast.

It may not be the best anime I've ever seen, but it's quite easily my favorite.

As for the movies, my two cents would be that while the first movie was beautifully done and was absolutely needed to tie up the story, to me at least, it just felt wrong to end such a beautiful series on that kind of a downer.

The final movie, whether it was just a cash grab or not, was a much, much better way to conclude the saga, with everyone grown up and at peace. And good God was that a beautiful ending scene. Just the perfect way to close out the story.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:39 am Reply with quote
For earliest tsundere, the lead girl from "Mazinger Z" might be the 1st.
cthellis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:35 pm Reply with quote
The reason I own an LD player!

And at least one cel that was more expensive than AnimEIGO's LD set.

(I still wish they'd gotten the rights to reproduce the original art on the sleeves.)
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Since this thread was bumped anyway, here's my lucky Value Village thrift store find last week.

I found the mid-1990s re-release of Sound Color 2, which includes pretty much my all-time favourite anime song "Kanashii Heart wa Moete Iru Wa" ("My Sad Heart is Burning") from Kanako Wada plus several other songs and background music, mainly focused on the middle episodes of the Kimagure Orange Road TV series, plus a Shin Kimagure Orange Road soundtrack CD. (I didn't notice the "Shin" kanji and thought I was buying a CD of music from the first Kimagure Orange Road film from 1988, not the middling follow-up movie from 1996. Oh well.)

These are legit Japanese CDs and not Taiwanese bootlegs. I do have all the TV series theme songs on the KOR: Loving Heart compilation CD that I bought in 1999 but I warped that CD a bit in a carrying case and it still plays but skips a bit so I was thrilled to find a CD with at least my favourite KOR song plus "Orange Mirage" in great condition for all of $2 Canadian.

I've seen a few volumes of Kimagure Orange Road on VHS at that exact thrift store before, but I really want it on DVD (or standard-definition Blu-Ray) and hope that it one day gets a license rescue by Discotek or Nozomi.

Swissman wrote:

The booklet on the left in the last picture is the 1st movie pamphlet.

Ah, I see a couple of volumes of the French language manga release from J'ai Lu/Flammarion. I've had all 18 volumes of that release since the late 1990s (bought them as they were released, although I think Canada got them a month or so late). The production quality is kind of iffy compared to modern English translations but it was unflipped and certainly I'm glad I'm able to read French and didn't have to wait almost two decades more for an official English release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4