• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
30 Years of Kimagure Orange Road

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AyanamiRei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:12 am Reply with quote
Maybe you should try to look for the Déclic-Image sub-only sets. This publisher's boxes were pretty cheap when it was alive (25-40€ a full length show of 24-26eps) and once it was killed (by Nagai's Grendizer) the prices kept sinking (40€ → 6-12€, to give you a better idea we can currently buy a fresh Touch full set for 40€) because the owners basically opened a new business (anime-store) to sell all their stocks.

The OAVs and movies are another beast, they were published later by Kazé when it was still stucked into its high prices: 40€ the OAV pack and 30-35 (poor memory) each movie. Because they graced us with pretty sliding boxes in paperboard, a few pictures, a note and a Shin KOR novel (by Tonkam, the publisher of the second better french manga now impossible to find ^^") for each of those three.

Between anime-store, priceminister, ebay and amazone, I'm sure you can find them. I recently got a brand new Macross TV subbed set by Déclic for 29 only when it was a product who was available only for a short time before the publisher went extinct.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:51 pm Reply with quote
^ Are they region-free? If I can only watch them on my laptop (where I have VLC which can play any region), I wouldn't be interested.

Taking into account shipping to Canada, I don't think I'd be able to afford even that anytime soon but thanks for the help anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
^ Are they region-free? If I can only watch them on my laptop (where I have VLC which can play any region), I wouldn't be interested.

Taking into account shipping to Canada, I don't think I'd be able to afford even that anytime soon but thanks for the help anyway.

French and in general European dvds are not region free. Exceptions exist like some opera dvds but for anime not a chance. Region 2 it is.
AyanamiRei

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Zone 2, indeed. Sorry, I fought that Canada was equipped for it, since I noticed ón certain publishers the license mentioning Québec too. ^^" My bad.

Good luck, then.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Laptop is better than nothing and I suppose there are options to hook it up to the TV that I never really bothered looking into.

I'll wait another year or two and see if Kimagure Orange Road does get license-rescued for North America, but, let's say, I would consider importing French DVDs eventually if it doesn't (or if I don't bite the bullet and just buy the old AnimEigo DVD set off eBay should I eventually have that kind of money).

In case anyone is wondering why I didn't just get the AnimEigo DVDs back in the day, I wanted to but they came out just as I moved downward on the purchasing-power ladder from the rather comfortable perch where I had been in the late 1990s and really early 2000s.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4