• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - What A Novel Idea

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:04 am Reply with quote
The cool thing about J-Novel is that I have noticed sometimes in the forums a member will point out a spelling/grammar mistake on the release parts. This is where it can have an advantage over printed LN where quality control may not be as much of a strong point.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:37 am Reply with quote
CandisWhite wrote:
As I am already retired due to health reasons, I am fully in weak body territory; As I don't plan to ever move, or to buy more than I have space for, I don't see the issues with having bookshelves in my house. I am not trying to be rude (Your life is your own) or pick a fight, I am simply pointing out that having physical copies of things that bring pleasure is not a problem for everyone. And while digital is fine as an option for those who want/need it, I would hate to see it become the sole option.

You and me are on the same page. There's a reason why I have so many books and manga, because I like physical copies. Sadly, I just have too much, and not enough space for them. I am not promoting getting rid of physical copies, just that they give us the choice. Hell, I wouldn't mind paying physical copy prices for digital copies, if it meant that they would offer more.
navycherub

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:41 am Reply with quote
I'm in the physical copies camp, but after listening to this am considering subscribing to read the books through updates and buy the books for the sake of owning them if I like them enough. Hopefully the physical releases do well enough to make that a viable option.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:27 am Reply with quote
I just wanted to point out that I've seen discussion only referring to the premium subscription for $10/month, but there's a subscription for $5/month to read all the weekly updates which is what I have. I don't really care for ebooks themselves, and I find myself getting more than enough value of my subscription even when reading only 2 of the 10 or so ongoing light novels, so that's another option for those interested. I think quarkboy/Sam has the right idea in weekly updates, because that is indeed how a lot of fan translations work, and being able to converse about the latest update in an online forum is very much how most enthusiasm for fan translation projects is fostered.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:10 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I think quarkboy/Sam has the right idea in weekly updates, because that is indeed how a lot of fan translations work, and being able to converse about the latest update in an online forum is very much how most enthusiasm for fan translation projects is fostered.

A lot of our books were originally web novels released in smaller chunks, too!
So story-wise they lend themselves well to being split up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2