• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: My Little Sister Can Read Kanji Novel 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the green death

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:58 am Reply with quote
I find this series to be a hoot. I don't find the satire as biting as Sam, but there's a lot of damn funny bits with the fiction of the future and also the main character being dumber than a stack of bricks lends a lot of hilarity. He is definitely not a character readers are going to want to be like.

One thing that is interesting though is how the series both parodies light novels and also makes a vigorous defense for "liking what you like" and not stressing over it too much. That aspect seems to grow each volume too.

Finally want to say that I think this series benefits more than any other by reading it serially as a J-Novel member. It works a treat in bite sized pieces.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:00 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
It's far harsher and more critical than any other "parody" meta light novel I've read out there that are much as you described, poking fun at tropes while embracing them. This one is a harsh criticism THROUGH the medium itself, by serving as its own worst example.... Well, just read the free preview and I think you'll get a sense of it. I didn't put it in the Fiction -> Dystopian category for no reason.

Ah, all right then. I can say I didn't get that impression reading this review either. It definitely came across as, "This future is awful, but you secretly like it, huh? Wink wink."

ChibiKangaroo's post made me realize something though: The difference between a true satire and something that just playfully twists the tropes around is that a true satire is aimed at people who dislike whatever is being made fun of, whereas the latter is just playful teasing and aimed at the people who'd still like that stuff anyway. From what everyone is saying though, I'm not really clear on which side this story is on, if it's chosen a side at all.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:

That being said, one thing that made me feel more suspicious that it was not a real satire is the fact that the main character and sister travel back to our times rather than someone going to this wacky future. If the story took place in the future, and our self-insert was a normal person from our times being aghast at this awful future, it would seem more like satire I would think (e.g. the American movie Idiocracy). Whereas, when you have someone from this crazy future coming back into our times, you get this "fish out of water' (or as Rebecca said, "whale on a mountain") aspect where the self-insert character is the creepy otaku from the future and the comedy seems to be more about how intolerant the current times are of his weird behavior. I'm not sure that that is satire of the future, but seems more like a clever way of getting entertainment out of seeing people put up with his extreme otakuness.

An even easier way to make it undoubtedly a satire is to change the perspective to the little sister. This way, the story would be from the perspective of someone annoyed by these little sister fetish stories, and her otaku older brother would be cast in a harsher, less sympathetic light. In addition, the little sister has studied life before this dystopia and can thus provide direct commentary when necessary on how things have deteriorated from her time.
TenCentFang

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:55 am Reply with quote
I'm a member of the blood related little sister political party. I've got a button and everything. Trump and Clinton conspired to keep me out of the presidential debates because they don't want the masses hearing #thetruth: if you're gonna do an incest story, don't chicken out! Do it right!

Blackiris_ wrote:
Hasn't that become pretty common? Light novels that exhibit some kind of self-awareness or parodying themselves and other otaku stuff without actually following a different formula?

Yeah, but most of the time it's lazy. As already mentioned, Konosuba is one that's great for going above the usual standards of anime comedy, which is an extremely low bar.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:58 am Reply with quote
TenCentFang wrote:
I'm a member of the blood related little sister political party. I've got a button and everything. Trump and Clinton conspired to keep me out of the presidential debates because they don't want the masses hearing #thetruth: if you're gonna do an incest story, don't chicken out! Do it right!

well said. its more or less the reason why people disliked oreimo's ending cause it was clear we all knew it was going to have the siblings as a couple and for some reason unknown the author completely chickened footed with that story. and the fact that this series dont even have these siblings blood related is a sure fire way that light novel authors are scared to even touch that storyline and go with the non blood related route to prevent their works from getting trashed on all sides.

its as you said. if LN authors want to do an actual incest storyline in their series, then they should take some examples from the authors that did angel sanctuary , koi kaze , and others. dont do a massive 180 and go all chicken scratch no matter what the reason. see the story through to the end and do it right for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:52 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Definitely love the satire and snark in this series. The wording sometimes gets clunky, which I think is somewhat intended? I believe that because this is a 23rd century 'translation' of a novel that the actual source has no kanji which can lead to very vague/ambiguous text.

Also (haven't read the GN), the idea of "Can't read kanji" is meant to suggest immaturity, since Japanese students don't learn their entire kanji vocabulary until though high school, and only little kids or lazy students need everything spelled out in Hiragana. (As you often see in the hiragana "subtitles" under the kanji in the anime logos for popular kids' shows.)
One joke on Sailor Moon had the future adult-queen Usagi still writing everything out without kanji, because she continued to be so lazy and immature, or other comedies making their character seem dimmer when a kanji-written letter made him "illiterate".

The Japanese "Idiocracy" joke of cutesy marathon-titled moe-incest light-novels eventually taking over the culture and wiping Kanji out of the Japanese language pretty much has its own judgmental comment on the current otaku-era tastes built in, and it ain't an "affectionate" satire.
As one gaijin who has a low tolerance for darling moe-incest imoutos (and is still doing his hardest to get through Kemono Friends and Miss Kobayashi), I can't say I'm one to disagree... Confused
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:56 pm Reply with quote
The whole issue of Japanese people failing at Kanji has been a joke for a pretty good while though, predating the current otaku scene. I remember back when I was studying in Japan in the early 2000s and my professors would joke with us that Japanese youth were losing the ability to write and understand Kanji due to the growing popularity of Denshi-Jisho.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2