• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Magic Knight Rayearth Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:16 am Reply with quote
I understand. I'm assuming the reason it was limited is because they had a low budget and then it got slightly better as it went along and with season two.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I first saw this anime on VHS back in 1999. My sister rented it and we watch it together. For a series that used to be very popular back in the day, I notice people don't remember it as much. People seem to bring up DBZ, Sailor Moon, YYH and Pokemon when it comes to 90's anime.
manapear

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:38 am Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
As I rewatched the show while paying attention to the credits, I was struck by how much better it got once CLAMP's Nanase Ohkawa replaced Keiko Maruo as the head writer. Her first episode (14) already feels much more dramatic, involving and filled with stakes than any of the previous 13, and after that the show keeps the momentum going as it barrels toward the memorable conclusion to the Zagato/Emeraude arc.

The second arc is even better, although some of the complications (like Hikaru's sword temporarily losing its powers) feel like they were included just to pad it out. Even though Ohkawa wrote it, it's quite a departure from the manga, but it's still very satisfying, and Debonair and Nova are really good anime-exclusive additions to the storyline.

I didn't even realize this either but also (unconsciously) noticed the shift, as another user agreed with. Maybe that explains their involvement with CCS more from the get go, given MKR's treatment.

One thing I couldn't stand (besides how the art style was adapted; it was lazier but also given unnecessary detail?), was how they drew out everything so poorly in the beginning. Things were just dragging for no reason. (And the recycled shots. . . oh man.)

MKR is a great series and I think it can do well being a bit longer and with some padding (rather like Sailor Moon, lol), but the anime's execution was so clumsy at first. Season 2 definitely felt better in terms od development and less ridiculous filler.

I've heard meh things about the Blu-ray version, but I kind of want to get it just to support the show. I still wish it would get remake treatment too. ;u;
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3