• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gainax Co-Founder Thinks Miyazaki's Return to Feature Filmmaking Will Fail

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woomy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:18 pm Reply with quote
[quote="AiddonValentine"]
Lemonchest wrote:

Yes, but Kurosawa's later years were still him in decline. Ran was his last truly unanimous masterpiece. Furthermore it seems that whenever filmmakers come out of retirement they just don't match their earlier years at all.

Honestly, it just all depends on the person. Getting older for some people may have them out of their element, but on the other hand, you have people like George Miller for example who is in his 70s and ends up creating a modern classic like Mad Max: Fury Road proving to everyone he's still got it.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:55 pm Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
Why does it seem like all the legends of the anime industry are such dreadful cynics that never believe in anything anymore? It just seems like whether it's Hideaki Anno, Miyazaki, Tomino, or the Otaking, that once somebody makes it big in the anime industry they kind of end up turning obnoxious.

Because the industry is a nasty stress-filled one, built on tight budgets, tighter schedules, looked down on by society at large, with a fan base that's unforgiving of trivial and stupid things. People who go in idealistic either quit in frustration or become cynical after gaining enough experience to make any kind of name for themselves. And that's only gotten worse since the aforementioned made names for themselves; watching their industry get into such a state doesn't make them more optimistic and cheerful.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:55 am Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
But Kurosawa won the Palme d'Or & got two Oscar nominations for Kagemusha. Or does he mean he thinks Miyazaki is going to go through a "all my friends are dead & I'm fed up with the industry" phase?

Yeah, my first response was "Oh, yeah, 'Ran', 'Dreams', all that color-period crap..." Razz

(Now, if he'd said "Do-des Ka-den", I would have gotten his point, but you don't hear that many people saying "Boy, Akira's really slipping with Ran, huh?")
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:06 am Reply with quote
I don't hate Miyazaki as much as I hate his fans which is why I just want him to go away. Whenever I say I don't like his movies, his fanbrats get super butt-hurt about it.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:38 am Reply with quote
I agree with him.

Miyazaki's move seems more like he's more upset about being unseat from the throne, wanting to return to beat down the young upstarts.

I don't feel he is returning because he has some great new adventure to tell.

Someone mentioned old cynics in anime, look what happened last time Tomino returned to make a Gundam show. It was horrendous because he had nothing to say and no vision for it.

Miyazaki isn't returning to make art, he's returning to take back his title. That misguided motivation will make whatever his next project is, hollow.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:38 am Reply with quote
Whoa... where's all this doom and gloom coming from?

I think people are reading too much into Miyazski making his originally intended museum short film into a feature length thing.

For one I don't actually think Miyazaki himself intends for 'Boro the Caterpillar' to be the second coming of 'Spirited Away.' This sounds more like a 'Ponyo' level children's film.

Sounds like he's coming to terms with using CG Animation and was enthusiastic enough to play around with it some more. CG is very likely easier on his old bones than hand drawing everything and he likely relies on other staff to put most of it together while he supervises.

I'm personally interested in seeing what Miyazaki can do with a fully CG flick.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:05 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
For one I don't actually think Miyazaki himself intends for 'Boro the Caterpillar' to be the second coming of 'Spirited Away.' This sounds more like a 'Ponyo' level children's film.

Sounds like he's coming to terms with using CG Animation and was enthusiastic enough to play around with it some more. CG is very likely easier on his old bones than hand drawing everything and he likely relies on other staff to put most of it together while he supervises.

Every time Miyazaki talks about the Caterpillar, I still think it sounds more like John Hughes saying that the one great comic "epic" he never got to do was "The Bee", a 90-minute Home Alone-style comedy about a writer at home bothered by a bee. Yes. Confused

Boro would have worked as a museum short (whereas "Mei & the Kittenbus" wouldn't have been as easy to expand into a feature), but after all his idealistic Old-Generation raging against computer-assisted animation--ie. the type Disney used in the 90's, not CGI--and discovering it was a tool, not an industry-destroying "toy", he's having his little burst of "Gee, now I find out it wasn't so bad...", and discovering it's easier on his retirement activities.
Next year, he'll probably start doing his banking on an iPad, and discover that using tablets wasn't "like masturbation" after all, just because all his young tech-enamored animators were using it.

It just would have been nice if he'd had a BETTER last-film on his bucket list than Hughes had.
Hellfish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:57 pm Reply with quote
So completing a project Miyazaki feels like doing, even if he cannot and won't work backbreaking hours anymore is a failure now?

And what if he won't make something as huge as spirited away anymore? He is doing what he likes, and working and keeping himself productive and creative, I don't see what is the problem with not doing greatness this time... hmm
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:42 pm Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
Let Miyazaki do what he loves, making classically animated films. Even if it isn't a success, it doesn't diminish his most popular works.

Just look at George Lucas. He still makes films after he sold off Star Wars, and the general public doesn't really know. Yet, he still is recognized for Star Wars. Lucas still films, because he loves it. And that should be respected.

Yep, and I'd like to point towards a little-known movie George Lucas produced, Twice Upon a Time, which helped launch the careers of a lot of notable people in Hollywood animation today, like Henry Selick and a lot of Pixar people.

I don't think Miyazaki is going to make something like that, as he comes across to me as a loner, or perhaps socially isolated from people not of his age group. But I do hope he makes something good and interesting.

jdnation wrote:

I'm personally interested in seeing what Miyazaki can do with a fully CG flick.

That'd definitely be interesting to see. Miyazaki's style is about little touches everywhere in the animation, which wasn't feasible with CG during his prime. (I've heard mixed things about his relationship with John Lasseter though. I have no idea where his appreciation for CG, or lack thereof, falls into this.)
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:50 pm Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
Can you imagine if Hollywood directors went around trash talking each other all the time like anime directors do?

Too busy getting into petty arguments with their stars or burning bridges with studios.
anddo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:59 pm Reply with quote
He can believe whatever he'd like. Miyazaki is a pure-bred genius and will continue producing amazing films.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Topgunguy wrote:
I don't hate Miyazaki as much as I hate his fans which is why I just want him to go away. Whenever I say I don't like his movies, his fanbrats get super butt-hurt about it.

I'm sure referring to them as fanbrats and being butt hurt has nothing to do with it at all.
TenCentFang

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:53 am Reply with quote
The thing about this that gets me is how soft the criticism is. I clicked on the article with bloodlust in my eyes, deeply longing for a verbal lashing of a treasured anime saint, and was sorely disappointed. I guess that's just Japan for ya. I'm sure trash talk is a lot rarer there than in the US. Is it so bad that I crave a side of occasional IRL drama with my animes?
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I hate this guy. He's such a D to speak that way of a classic storyteller who only wants to give us another good story.
simona.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:53 am Reply with quote
what an idiot. Kagemusha, Ran, Dreams are masterpieces.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3