• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gainax Co-Founder Thinks Miyazaki's Return to Feature Filmmaking Will Fail

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:19 am Reply with quote
simona.com wrote:
what an idiot. Kagemusha, Ran, Dreams are masterpieces.

From what I read, Akira Kurosawa's later movies were not quite as well received in Japan, at least critically, as they were abroad. Kagemusha, in particular, was disliked by film critics in Japan (even though it was the box office topper there for that year), and they were astonished for it to win so many awards overseas.

Finding out about that, I can see why Kagemusha would be used by a Japanese person as an example of a movie from a washed up filmmaker. Ran and Dreams, I have no idea. As far as I know, they're well-liked domestically too.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:11 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
simona.com wrote:
what an idiot. Kagemusha, Ran, Dreams are masterpieces.
Finding out about that, I can see why Kagemusha would be used by a Japanese person as an example of a movie from a washed up filmmaker. Ran and Dreams, I have no idea. As far as I know, they're well-liked domestically too.

Ran was Kurosawa's big Cannes-winner, domestically considered the best movie of his color career, and in the top three of his career, period.
Dreams didn't open with as much fanfare over here, but it's starting to be rediscovered on the short-list of his great color films, and the "rainbow" scene near the beginning has since been added to the roster of Iconic Kurosawa Images:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbvdisDp7Jk
(The disk was hidden away on Warner Archive for years, but just now came out on Criterion, as all good Kurosawa should: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KGR17US )

Kurosawa's last two, like Miyazaki's, didn't quite fare well, though:
"Rhapsody in August" had interesting images but a thin story (and a lot of trumped-up "controversy" over its story of Richard Gere in Nagasaki) and "Madadayo" was a bit of metaphoric self-indulgence that didn't even get a major release over here, IIRC.
That's probably what most short-memory Japanese fans remember about the end of his career, and blame Kagemusha for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3