• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sword Art Online the Movie: Ordinal Scale

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
But I don't know why everyone wants Asuna to kill Kuradeel. I've never been able to figure that out. What is the big deal over that?

Oh, that's an easy one. There are some who think that her not killing Kuradeel marks her as weak.

(And yeah, I never agreed with that, either.)

That's not it. I wanted Asuna to defeat Kuradeel so SHE could have the spotlight for once. Who gets to solve the non-murder mystery? Kirito. Who gets to defeat the Gleam Eyes? Kirito? Who gets to save the day every damn time? You get the gist of it. It's like nothing important can get done in the narrative without him being the number one center of attention. Klein doesn't get to do anything awesome onscreen, nor Agil, nor Lisbeth, nor Silica, nor really anyone who isn't MC-kun and Asuna once in a while.

My beef with the Kuradeel fight is this. Asuna comes in to save Kirito before he can be murdered, only to have to be saved by him in the end from Kuradeel. In that context, Asuna is merely a tool to prop up Her Man. This should have been her time to shine, and yet she doesn't get it. Throw on top of it that her personality was slowly being warped into a generic nice hot chick (i.e. a more societally acceptable version of what Japanese women should be), and I found myself very annoyed.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:43 pm Reply with quote
All the more reason to watch the Mother Rosario arc.....it is basically The Asuna Show at that point.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
All the more reason to watch the Mother Rosario arc.....it is basically The Asuna Show at that point.

Hmm...Tristan Arkada did state that "Mother's Rosario" was one of the positives of the second season, alongside Sinon's existence. And rumor has it that Kawahara wrote that arc as an apology for how f**king terrible "Fairy Dance" was. Though I am steadfastly convinced that for some reason, his editor was responsible for some of the more stupid parts of "Fairy Dance"...
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
Hmm...Tristan Arkada did state that "Mother's Rosario" was one of the positives of the second season, alongside Sinon's existence. And rumor has it that Kawahara wrote that arc as an apology for how f**king terrible "Fairy Dance" was. Though I am steadfastly convinced that for some reason, his editor was responsible for some of the more stupid parts of "Fairy Dance"...

Is he the one who has the mad-on for bashing SAO in videos? If so then I don't find him very credible, as about 20% of his complaints are legitimate and the rest is just him going into over-the-top Hate Mode.

Akane the Catgirl wrote:
That's not it. I wanted Asuna to defeat Kuradeel so SHE could have the spotlight for once. Who gets to solve the non-murder mystery? Kirito. Who gets to defeat the Gleam Eyes? Kirito? Who gets to save the day every damn time? You get the gist of it. It's like nothing important can get done in the narrative without him being the number one center of attention. Klein doesn't get to do anything awesome onscreen, nor Agil, nor Lisbeth, nor Silica, nor really anyone who isn't MC-kun and Asuna once in a while.

My beef with the Kuradeel fight is this. Asuna comes in to save Kirito before he can be murdered, only to have to be saved by him in the end from Kuradeel. In that context, Asuna is merely a tool to prop up Her Man. This should have been her time to shine, and yet she doesn't get it.

Oh, I've heard these complaints many times before, but while I understand where they're coming from, I mostly consider them to be a personal pet peeve rather than an actual problem with the series. (The only time in the franchise that Kirito's grandstanding actually bugged me was the one time he popped up and did something dramatic in the Mother's Rosario arc.) While I also would have liked to see Asuna do more there, Kirito is still the star and it is both the right and responsibility of the star to take the big actions like that and bear the consequences thereof. Also, I saw the scene less as Kirito stealing the glory and more as not burdening anyone else with the guilt of having to kill a fellow player.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
Though I am steadfastly convinced that for some reason, his editor was responsible for some of the more stupid parts of "Fairy Dance"...

I would easily buy that....considering it's his editor's fault that Suguha has giant bewbs too. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Also, I saw the scene less as Kirito stealing the glory and more as not burdening anyone else with the guilt of having to kill a fellow player.

I also saw it that way as well.
It's also not the first time a male character has stopped a female character from killing someone in a "You really don't wanna do this; you'll regret it later" kind of way.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Akane the Catgirl wrote:

Is he the one who has the mad-on for bashing SAO in videos? If so then I don't find him very credible, as about 20% of his complaints are legitimate and the rest is just him going into over-the-top Hate Mode.

No he's the guy who goes by Glass Reflection on Youtube and Twitter. I watched his review of the original series and while he did have strong words on some stuff, he did have good things to say about it and his overall rating was modestly positive (7.5/10) so he is probably not the guy you are thinking of.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:04 pm Reply with quote
@ Key

1. No, Tristan is actually pretty fair. You're probably thinking of Digibro or Mother's Basement. I hear that complaint a lot in regards to them.

2A) Yes, Kirito is the main character. BUT, that's no excuse for hogging the spotlight as much as he does. Things in Attack on Titan could get done without Eren being involved. Things in FMA could get done without either Elric brother getting involved. Things in Princess Tutu could get done without Duck being there.

But Kirito...it's like he has to do literally goddamn everything. Nobody else is allowed to do anything significant, not even Asuna most of the time. Klein barely does anything onscreen. Agil's just there to help out occasionally. All those female characters are there to be helped out with their problems. It's like the narrative is shoving Kirito down my throat and demanding I pay attention to him to the point where I actively started to hate him at one point.

2B) And yeah, "keeping another player from having to deal with killing". In context, it would have been self-defense. Asuna was more than justified in taking care of Kuradeel herself, considering he is a mole for a serial killer's guild. Besides, Asuna saving Kirito would have been the perfect opportunity to really show off how Asuna got to be as high ranking as she was. But no, Asuna gets shafted in favor of showing off MC-kun AGAIN.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:

2B) And yeah, "keeping another player from having to deal with killing". In context, it would have been self-defense. Asuna was more than justified in taking care of Kuradeel herself, considering he is a mole for a serial killer's guild. Besides, Asuna saving Kirito would have been the perfect opportunity to really show off how Asuna got to be as high ranking as she was. But no, Asuna gets shafted in favor of showing off MC-kun AGAIN.

Even in self-defense, it would be an awful thing to go through.

I really don't feel like it was a "showing off" moment at all.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Akane the Catgirl wrote:

Even in self-defense, it would be an awful thing to go through.

I really don't feel like it was a "showing off" moment at all.

Yes...it would have been awful. But that's not really an excuse to not do it. She can still be traumatized, but at the end of the day, Asuna's choice would have been the right one. Plus, this would have been a great opportunity for her and Kirito to bond over shared traumas (her being forced to kill, him witnessing several allies dying in front of him).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5